Thread: "Inspection" indicator reset?

My Cars
    2003 330xi

"Inspection" indicator reset?

Is there any way to make the "inspection" indicator light go away? The "service engine soon" or oil change indicator procedure doesn't seem to affect the "inspection" indicator.

Are these supposed to all be reset by the same method, or do I need a scan tool or (shudder) a trip to the $tealership to reset this indicator.

My Cars
    '00 328i
    cf hood, shark, afe cai, 18" gunmetal reps, acs front strut bar... and an 8" baby leg.

LOOKING FOR AN EXHAUST!! Hook me up.

My Cars
    2003 330xi
    BTDT.

That procedure is right out of the Bentley manual, and I've done it multiple times. It turned off the "service engine soon" light but the inspection interval display keeps showing -825, -850, etc. as I drive the car past the inspection due mileage.

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    Here, I performed this reset on my 2002 330xi and it works - try it. I do not know if it is really any different than the previous one noted above.

E46 6/2000 and later:
    With the ignition off, press and hold the trip odometer reset button (the one on the left) and turn the key to the accessory position.

Hold the button for 5 seconds or more *until* "Oil Service" or "Reset" or something similar appears.

Press and hold the button again for 5 seconds *until* the message flashes.

While the message is flashing, briefly press the button one more time. You should get the message "End SIA"

My Cars
    Quite a few.
    Ok for those with early E46 euro based bmw's, still trying to reset your service inspection light, try the E36 version, it works.
    1- in your 20 pin round plug, as mentioned many times previously, short pin 7 and 19 with a small jumper wire.
    2- turn your ignition on without starting the car.
    3- count to 10 then
    4- pull the jumper cable out of the 20 pin plug
    5- screw the 20 pin cap back on
    6- turn the ignition back off.
    7- it's done ... Turn your ignition back on and see that it's all reset back to 25,000 kms, ready to drive to your next oil and service.

Good Luck.

David.