Thread: HELP! New tires rubbing with non-sport suspension?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i

HELP! New tires rubbing with non-sport suspension?

I recently purchased gumbi4u's, CSL project from him equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires to replace my 16inch oems. Wheels look good and I like them a lot, but since putting them on, I've noticed a few things.

The tire sizes are 275/35/18 in the read 245/40/18 in the front and wheel sizes are 18x9.5 and 18x8.5. I'm driving a 2003 non-sport 540i with stock suspension. The problem is when I corner hard right or left I can feel the tire rub a bit. Also, When reversing out of tight spaces I hear a creaking in the rear of my vehicle which I'm not even sure is rubbing.

I have 75k miles on my stock suspension and was considering doing some replacing/updating, but now I'm concerned about lowering this setup.

Does anyone have a clue as to why I'm rubbing and creaking more with larger wheels? Also, is this something an alignment might fix? My car seems to be running pretty straight, but I had some very strange wear on my previous tires and planned on getting an alignment soon.

My Cars
    540i Sport Wagon
    On my touring I just put on the same Pilot AS tires. Without Air Suspension, I would have rubbed.
    You'll need to get the fenders rolled. 255's or possible would have been a better choice and not have rubbed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    is fender rolling an expensive task?

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Should have went with 265's which is the proper size. I toll have tire rub since I roll on 275's. When i hit a hard curve or when i have rear passengers, it will rub a bit. I have to get my fenders rolled too. It not that expensive. You can rent a fender roller or get them one who has the gizmo.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    I don't think it's an alignment issue, but if it has been a while since you've got one, I would go get it done anyway.

What are the offset of your rear wheels? It seems this might be the biggest contributing factor, along with the brand/model of tire. I don't know how your Pilot sports A/S measures up to other 275 wide tires, but they may be a tad wider. Another factor would be tire shoulder design (squarer vs. rounder).
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    540i Sport Wagon
    125mm Offset I believe. Tires are 275/35/18's. All tires with these measurements should be very close to the same. Again. I would have rubbed for sure if I didn't have air suspension. The fender was about a 1/2 inch from the fender until it pumped up. I was crapping at first.....

My Cars
    540i Sport Wagon
    Here's a better angel..Wheels are from Lakeshore Tire and Wheel. Go on the web site and look at the 18" M pars. That's what I have. Offset is either 120 or 125mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    So what are my options here? I kind of wanted to lower my car, but am worried to do this... even if I get my fenders rolled. I went out and inspected the rear tires and I can see they are definitely starting to wear very prematurely from rubbing the fender.

I'm going to a place my indy recommended tomorrow to see what they think... I don't know what to do here. I bought my wheel/tire combo as a solution to buying just new tires for my stockies I don't like. I really didn't want to incur the expense of buying much more expensive replacement rear tires or modding the damn car to get them to fit.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher2k View Post
    So what are my options here? I kind of wanted to lower my car, but am worried to do this... even if I get my fenders rolled. I went out and inspected the rear tires and I can see they are definitely starting to wear very prematurely from rubbing the fender.

I'm going to a place my indy recommended tomorrow to see what they think... I don't know what to do here. I bought my wheel/tire combo as a solution to buying just new tires for my stockies I don't like. I really didn't want to incur the expense of buying much more expensive replacement rear tires or modding the damn car to get them to fit.
    Best option is to Buy the 265 rears and sell the 275's. My tires have almost rolled the fenders on their own over time. Also lowering the car will not make them rub that much more but if the shocks are original, most likely they are bad and any bump you hit will bottom out the car a bit thus making the tires rub.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    Well, I'm sitting at my shop right now waiting for my car to be aligned. Luckily, a home in the near vicinity has unsecured wireless, so I'm gellin' in the waiting room.

Turns out my fenders are already rolled... I didn't even think to feel under there as the previous tires were 16s. The PO must have stored these and rode on something else until he sold the car.

My guy drove around in my car and gave me the affirmative, yes. My shocks are very much dead. He suspects changing them will reduce if not eliminate the problem, but that they need to be changed anyhow.

The problem is, I was thinking of going the (still comfortable) performance route and slightly lowering my car. Looks like I can't lower it until these damn tires wear out, or I find a buyer...

There's like 80% tread left on them, and even wear, is finding a buyer even likely?

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    OK, so the rear fender lips are already rolled. Hopefully close to getting the most clearance possible.
    I'd change the shocks and lower the car, and then see if you have any rubbing probs... how often and in what driving and load conditions. Then you can make a better decision on whether you can live with the setup, or change to 265 wide rears, or sell the wheels and get something else with better fitment.
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    02 530ia
    Are you sure your fenders are rolled? My fenders are rolled also, but not from end to end. It seems they are partially rolled from the factory and the rubbing comes from the section that isn't rolled.

I know, I know, but they make me smile!

My Cars
    02 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 530 Sport View Post
    Are you sure your fenders are rolled? My fenders are rolled also, but not from end to end. It seems they are partially rolled from the factory and the rubbing comes from the section that isn't rolled.
    +1

They may be partially rolled, and might only be rubbing in one spot that is closer to the tire than the other spots.

Put some painters tape on the underside of the fender where the tire could contact, and go for a ride. The tape will tell you exactly where it is rubbing and you can go from there.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    OK--I'm tired of this situation now: 2 questions

1. My wheel specs are as follows: Offset is 22 rear and 20 front. 18x8.5 / 18x9.5. Further, my car was treated to an alignment today. Will going with 265/35/18s solve my rubbing issue?

2. How big a deal is it to mix tires? I'm not buying two brand new Pilot Sport A/S' for the back and I'd feel guilty ruining a pair of tires at $300 each, so I'm thinking of getting some Nexen N7000s for my rears for $100 each until I figure out what the hell to do I'd still have my Pilot Sports on the front...

If anyone wants some 275/35/18 pilots and their offsets are more forgiving than mine, they can have these CHEAP!

My Cars
    09 E90 M3 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher2k View Post
    I recently purchased gumbi4u's, CSL project from him equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires to replace my 16inch oems. Wheels look good and I like them a lot, but since putting them on, I've noticed a few things.

The tire sizes are 275/35/18 in the read 245/40/18 in the front and wheel sizes are 18x9.5 and 18x8.5. I'm driving a 2003 non-sport 540i with stock suspension. The problem is when I corner hard right or left I can feel the tire rub a bit. Also, When reversing out of tight spaces I hear a creaking in the rear of my vehicle which I'm not even sure is rubbing.

I have 75k miles on my stock suspension and was considering doing some replacing/updating, but now I'm concerned about lowering this setup.

Does anyone have a clue as to why I'm rubbing and creaking more with larger wheels? Also, is this something an alignment might fix? My car seems to be running pretty straight, but I had some very strange wear on my previous tires and planned on getting an alignment soon.

Should have bought my wheels

In all seriousness I'd roll the fenders. I was able to run the Falken Fk-452's in a 275/35/18 in the rear without rubbing but as it have bee nsaid before, not all tires are created equal (aka wide).

Good luck great looking wheels!

Oh and go with the Falken Fk-452's for the interim. Much Better tire than the Nexen's IMO, you won't be disappointed (edgeracing.com)...
    Current Bimmer: '89 E30 DD, '89 E30 Project
    Former Bimmers: '09 E9 M3, '99 E39 540i, Dinan Stg. V | Dinan CAI, Dinan MAF, Dinan TB, Dinan S/W, Pre-VANOS "Dinan" intake manifold, Magnaflow exhaust, res. delete, M3 SSK| M5 3.15 LSD, Koni FSD w/Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Rogue tranny mounts, 18x9 ASA AR1's, 275 General Ex UHP's at each corner | M5 Brake system, Stoptech SS Lines, Axxis ULTs F&R, Stoptech Slotted rotors, ATE Super Blue...