Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are good speakers too replace 4 Rear Deck Speakers

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    Your best bet would be to pull them and measure them and/or to bring it to a shop. Have you tried crutchfield? Last time I went to there site(been a while) you could actually put in your vehicle info and it would list possible matches. I don't know if they still do it but you never know.
    good luck.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdragon415 View Post
    Your best bet would be to pull them and measure them and/or to bring it to a shop. Have you tried crutchfield? Last time I went to there site(been a while) you could actually put in your vehicle info and it would list possible matches. I don't know if they still do it but you never know.
    good luck.

i already know the size of mine. just curious to know what aftermarket subs other are using on the rear shelf. what are you running back there puff?

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    i already know the size of mine. just curious to know what aftermarket subs other are using on the rear shelf. what are you running back there puff?
    A lot of people run 2 6x9s back there. I've only heard of this in E39's though, not e38's.

My Cars
    00 740i S,08 CRV,95
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon740il View Post
    REAR DECK SPEAKERS ARE NOT 6.5" !

They are 5.25" actually a little smaller.... But 5.25" works best

I have a stock enclosure W/ speakers removed in the garage, I'll measure depth for you guys tonight.

Focal makes a nice 5.25 that drops right in.
    I'm a big fan of CDT audio also.

Go with a standard coaxial or 2 way.
    3 ways are component sets that require a crossover network and external tweeter.
    They are not suited for this application.

They call them subs because they are getting the lower "Sub" Frequency from the DSP amp.
    And just have the single driver.
    I would very much like to know the volume of that cabinet and mounting depths. Is the enclosure some sort of transmission line driver, ported, ....?

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIsLuke View Post
    A lot of people run 2 6x9s back there. I've only heard of this in E39's though, not e38's.

even with DSP's? i thought the signal being sent to my four 5.25" subs was a filtered low freq signal? are the 6x9's subs or 3-ways?

My Cars
    Ok 1st of all I have DSP. All I did was t-splice the left and right subwoofer(before the amp) with a line out converter(LOC) and hook up another amp and subwoofer. I did not remove the stock sub as recommended nor did I unhook the stock subs. My veh has plenty of bass without the need for removing anything. I actually am thinking about redoing the front speakers also.
    here's some priceless info for hooking sub(s) to dsp system.
    Go here:
    http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-E38-7-Series/
    look for the "install info"(lower right box) tab, click on it and download the pdf. Read it.
    Then go here to find out what wires to tap.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1160
    In the above post there is the (largest)15 pin harness and that's what you are looking for. I used pin#1pos #9neg for left and #13pos and #6neg, tapped those and connected to LOC. Then tapped pin#4 for amp remote(turns amp on/off).
    HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE THE DSP AMP IN THE TRUNK OR YOU'LL HAVE A PROBLEM FINDING THE REMOTE WIRE.

If you've never done this before, trust me, it is very easy per all the hard work is done for you in just those two links above. No guesswork.

FYI I have 2 12 subs in the back with a 800W(rms) mono amp@2ohms and it seems to be very loud, a single sub would also suffice and save plenty of trunk space.

As far as sub choice is concerned, that is a matter of preferrence as cost is the main factor along with type of bass. The enclosure type is also a factor but I would recommend a totally sealed box of the correct size(there are other types but that's a whole different world to define).

Good Luck and hope this helps.

-AJ

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    even with DSP's? i thought the signal being sent to my four 5.25" subs was a filtered low freq signal? are the 6x9's subs or 3-ways?
    You could do 6x9 subs or 3 way systems, but I'd use an aftermarket amp to replace the dsp.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdragon415 View Post
    Ok 1st of all I have DSP. All I did was t-splice the left and right subwoofer(before the amp) with a line out converter(LOC) and hook up another amp and subwoofer. I did not remove the stock sub as recommended nor did I unhook the stock subs. My veh has plenty of bass without the need for removing anything. I actually am thinking about redoing the front speakers also.
    here's some priceless info for hooking sub(s) to dsp system.
    Go here:
    http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-E38-7-Series/
    look for the "install info"(lower right box) tab, click on it and download the pdf. Read it.
    Then go here to find out what wires to tap.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1160
    In the above post there is the (largest)15 pin harness and that's what you are looking for. I used pin#1pos #9neg for left and #13pos and #6neg, tapped those and connected to LOC. Then tapped pin#4 for amp remote(turns amp on/off).
    HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE THE DSP AMP IN THE TRUNK OR YOU'LL HAVE A PROBLEM FINDING THE REMOTE WIRE.

If you've never done this before, trust me, it is very easy per all the hard work is done for you in just those two links above. No guesswork.

FYI I have 2 12 subs in the back with a 800W(rms) mono amp@2ohms and it seems to be very loud, a single sub would also suffice and save plenty of trunk space.

As far as sub choice is concerned, that is a matter of preferrence as cost is the main factor along with type of bass. The enclosure type is also a factor but I would recommend a totally sealed box of the correct size(there are other types but that's a whole different world to define).

Good Luck and hope this helps.

-AJ
    Thanks AJ that does help tremendously. the links are invaluable. i have hooked up stereo stuff in my previous car so i am comfortable with making the connections etc.

i noticed in the BSW link they suggest locating the amp on the "back wall" ("...We always mount it on the back wall, typically centered about halfway up.).. what back wall are they referring to? where do you locate yours?

ideally i want to remove/replace the existing 5.25" subs & locate new sub in that rear shelf. possibly use the bottom of that shelf (i.e. inside the trunk) to install my amp.

btw, i kept my amp from previous vehicle (Alpine MRV-100M) as well as an LOC. so i'm set there.... just need to identify some good subs. i like the idea of splicing into the existing wiring & running new equipment in parallel.

thanks.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIsLuke View Post
    You could do 6x9 subs or 3 way systems, but I'd use an aftermarket amp to replace the dsp.
    thanks luke. see my previous post about the amp (already set )....my concern in using 2-way or 3way is filtering. won't i need to protect the high frequency speakers? i don't wanna complicate matters by adding filters or similar equipment. i basically want a "plug& play" setup.

My Cars
    Thanks AJ that does help tremendously. the links are invaluable. i have hooked up stereo stuff in my previous car so i am comfortable with making the connections etc.
    Now that makes it even better.

i noticed in the BSW link they suggest locating the amp on the "back wall" ("...We always mount it on the back wall, typically centered about halfway up.).. what back wall are they referring to?
    They are talking about the area directly behind the seat where the ski hole is on my vehicle. I couldn't go there per my amp is pretty big and I didn't want to cover that hloe. where do you locate yours? Check this for possible locations:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=998696
    I ended up mounting the amp to the box..lol..but it could easily be mounted upside down under the brakelight with some self tapping screws. I was scared to do that per I have the sunscreen there and you know--->chicken. If you do this, get some rubber wire grommets/washers for the screw holes.

ideally i want to remove/replace the existing 5.25" subs & locate new sub in that rear shelf. possibly use the bottom of that shelf (i.e. inside the trunk) to install my amp.
    If you remove the stock sub box you could mount the sub(s) in the trunk using the trunk(infinite baffle) as a box. You'll have to screw some MDF up there(in trunk) and mount the sub to that along with the amp. This choice was way more difficult but will save you room and makes nice hiding places for wires. I do not recommend cutting and placing subs into the metal, not enough support and just plain sucks.

btw, i kept my amp from previous vehicle (Alpine MRV-100M) as well as an LOC. so i'm set there.... just need to identify some good subs. i like the idea of splicing into the existing wiring & running new equipment in parallel.
    That's a 100W rms mono 2ohm. Get the specs on all the loads the amp could handle,ie 4ohm=?watts rms, 2ohms=100watts rms, 1ohm=?watts rms(if it's even stable at that). When looking, be prepared to tell the sound guy that and be ready when he says you might need more power. You could get a 2ohm sub or a dual voice coil 4ohm (wire parallel) or 2 single voice coils at 4ohm(need power tho-parallel). There are other options but you are limited with that amp even in the suggestions I gave above.
    Happy hunting,
    -AJ

My Cars
    750iL
    The stock DSP mids are 5.25, they are also called 5 1/4. Depth is about 60mm, diameter of the magnet is about 70mm. basically nothing bigger or deeper would fit. Also they are 6 ohm coil and most of the aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm or 8 ohm for automotive. 6 ohm is more common for home audio systems. I guess 4 ohm could work, but 8 ohm might not be loud enough. Haven't decided on any speakers myself. Like to hear what others are using in place of stock dsp 5.25 mid-range woofers.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL

Rear Deck Spkrs.

Quote Originally Posted by likedatyall View Post
    I did the subwoffer search and I saw some really nice stuff (bsw, etc). All I want is to replace the factory speakers with some similar yet better speakers. Any one replace only the speakers? If so, what speakers do you suggest? Anything plug and play?

TIA

For my money the best speakers you can put in the rear deck are the MONSOON's that come in the VW Jetta's, trust me. I think '99 to '05 not sure. They are not paper so you can find them in a junk yard. They are probably the only spkrs that survive in that environment. You have to cut up the deck a little (not all 4 just 2) and cut the speakers to fit with a dremmel but they sound awesome!!! I did it and I love them!!! They are 4 ohms so the amp which is 8 ohms may run a little hot but oh well. Live a little! :-)

ps: Only the front spkrs in the Jetta work. The rear ones are 2 ohms. Those will make the amp way too hot.
    Last edited by Penarol; 05-20-2016 at 12:30 AM.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarol View Post
    For my money the best speakers you can put in the rear deck are the MONSOON's that come in the VW Jetta's, trust me. I think '99 to '05 not sure. They are not paper so you can find them in a junk yard. They are probably the only spkrs that survive in that environment. You have to cut up the deck a little (not all 4 just 2) and cut the speakers to fit with a dremmel but they sound awesome!!! I did it and I love them!!! They are 4 ohms so the amp which is 8 ohms may run a little hot but oh well. Live a little! :-)

ps: Only the front spkrs in the Jetta work. The rear ones are 2 ohms. Those will make the amp way too hot.
    I endorse this post ��

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    I endorse this post ��
    Dville the MONSOON's speakers you use for the set ups that you sell are they NEW or USED.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    I have new and used.
    Most of the ones I have sold so far are used.
    I test them before use and test again once the box is complete and provide support for customers afterwards.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Completed E38 rear deck Monsoon subwoofer upgrade #31.
    This one is for a customer in Lindenhurst, NY.

http://e38.weebly.com/speakers.html

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I still have my box with monsoon speakers done by dville that were only hooked up for a day or two if interested. Ready to ship.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I just did my rear deck last night with monsoons.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I still have my box with monsoon speakers done by dville that were only hooked up for a day or two if interested. Ready to ship.
    How much to Archdale, NC 27263?

I spend thousands on my BMW the rest I pissed away.
    I've spent most of my money on this car the rest I just pissed away

My Cars
    00 750iL 01 S8 96 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    RVAE34 - why are you selling yours?
    WTB the following Highline/Individual parts for my 2001 750iL in Black (updated Apr 2016):
    -front sport seat-back cushion
    -rear U.S. entertainment armrest with radio/MID/seat/phone/shade/etc controls
    -rear digital climate control with rear blower and black leather housing/console
    -glovebox and rear right 2001 LHD 750iL wood trim with flag inlay; maybe the dash pieces too
    ~
    Ryan

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I bought mine to be temporary. At the time I was going to drive it as is for a few months. But I ended up having the s62 swap done while the interior was out and got Paul's sub so never even got to experience the monsoon upgrade. It's just sitting in my climate controlled garage collecting dust.

My Cars
    00 750iL 01 S8 96 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    I just did my rear deck last night with monsoons.

And?! How did they sound compared to stock?
    WTB the following Highline/Individual parts for my 2001 750iL in Black (updated Apr 2016):
    -front sport seat-back cushion
    -rear U.S. entertainment armrest with radio/MID/seat/phone/shade/etc controls
    -rear digital climate control with rear blower and black leather housing/console
    -glovebox and rear right 2001 LHD 750iL wood trim with flag inlay; maybe the dash pieces too
    ~
    Ryan

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    E38 rear deck subwoofer upgrade to Monsoon speakers.
    Conversion #32 completed and heading to Palo Alto, CA

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and this is very high on my list of birthday wishes. I'm thinking it's time to be able to listen to music like a normal human being and swap out those rear struts while I'm in there. I figure 75,000 miles is enough on them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12