Thread: Need help removing broken bolt in water pump

My Cars
    1998 540i

Need help removing broken bolt in water pump

So I was doing the valley pan gasket and putting everything back together and somehow managed to break one of the longer bolts that goes into the water pump and I think into the block. My uncle was going to try and drill the bolt out, but he said it was too deep. The bolt never felt that tight and just snapped, but oh well. Now I have to take it all apart again and my uncle thinks that I will need some special tools to take off the timing belt/chain cover off. Does anyone know if I'll need special tools to get to it or can I do it without them? If I do need special tools is there anyway I can even get them since I'm not with a dealership or do they sell them somewhere? The car is at my uncle's shop so I have plenty of other tools to use if I can get by without using special tools. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the broken bolt out without taking everything apart that would be much appreciated as well.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    How far in did the bolt break off? Is it below the level of the block surface? or just below the waterpump body surface, or does a little bit stick out?
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    1998 540i
    I think it's just inside the block. If I put the rest of the bolt in I can't get it catch on any thread so I'm assuming it isn't in there all the way.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    You can try using a hardened bolt of a slightly smaller diameter and grinding(without overheating) a pair of spikes into the end of it, then try pushing this against the broken bolt while turning to thread it out. If you are lucky it is fairly loose and may actually spin out to where you can grab it with pliers, next step would be a set of easy outs and a drill, the hard part is to be sure to keep it centered and not damage the threads, a centerpunch can help with this, if it seems loose but you just cant maintain contact, sometimes a dab of ezweld might get you enough purchase to spin it out.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Thanks for the advice. If I can't get it out that way does anyone know if I'll need to buy any special tools to get to it? If I need to and can't get them I might just take the car to someone who can do it.