Thread: Technik Ported Cylinder Head Gains for the M54 B30 engine!!!

My Cars
    2002 E39 m5, 2000 MB S500

Technik Ported Cylinder Head Gains for the M54 B30 engine!!!

If anyone is interested in looking at a graph of the Technik ported m54 head vs. the stock, check this out. Awesome gains on both the intake and exhaust sides.

My Cars
    1997 M3

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    paging silverstreak........
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    04' 330ci
    Thanks Samir...! Thats the only mod done for the 2 Dyno's ...?

and how much..?
    -Garrett

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Garrett - I think that is only the CFM increase. Not HP. HaHa, I saw it the same way then remembered that the stock M3 puts more like 275 hp to the wheels stock.

Can anyone tell me a little more about how "great" of a gain this actually is? Just looking for some tech. info is all thanks!

My Cars
    93 318is
    Could someone be good enough to explain who/what "Technik" is? Thanks.
    "...time to burn some dust...eat my rubber."

My Cars
    Originally posted by Lugosi
    Could someone be good enough to explain who/what "Technik" is? Thanks.

www.renn-sport.net

For all the Technik needs.

Well if you look at the data, the exhaust flows 25% better than stock, intake side, a tad more than 10% over stock......

My Cars
    Originally posted by 332 TMS car
    the stock M3 puts more like 275 hp to the wheels stock.
    M54 B30 engine is the motor used in the 330i/ci, z3 3.0 and 530 .

My Cars
    04' 330ci
    :bump:
    -Garrett

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    So what does that translate to in terms of actual power improvement?
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    Samir/Technik says in theory 34hp.

You can find his actual post here

http://www.renn-sport.net/forums/sho...&threadid=1383

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.3, 04.5 Passat 1.8T 4-MOTION, 97 FZR600
    so this value represents the flow out of one cylinder?

isn't the max. CFM for a given cylinder much less than even the stock flow rate?

ie:
    3000cc / 6 = 500 cc cylinder volume

(500 X 7000) / (16.39 X 1728 X 2)

= 61.79 CFM / cylinder with 100% VE?
    1999 Z3 2.3 - Silver/Black 5M
    2004.5 Passat 1.8T 4-motion - Silver/Gray 5M
    1997 FZR600 - Blue

My Cars
    2.5L Sterling E30 M3; 1988 E28M5, 99 Accord Coupe
    CFM flow benching does not directly relate to performance gains of X%. Get Samir to get a dyno and RWHP numbers to see real results.

However, it does look pretty impressive.
    Last edited by SeattleE30///M3; 05-09-2003 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    2.5L Sterling E30 M3; 1988 E28M5, 99 Accord Coupe
    Excerpt on Flowbenching from e30m3performance

A flowbench is a tool. Throughout the remainder of this article try to keep this in mind. A flow bench is a tool.
    This point is emphasized so that the results that follow are not misconstrued. A good operator will be able to use a flow bench as a tool with which to optimize cylinder head ports in order to increase engine power. But a flow bench is not a dyno, and the dyno is the only true test as to whether one cylinder head works better than another.

That being said, a flow bench is still a very useful tool to use in extracting more power from an engine. The key is that the user must be experienced and knowledgeable. One can often make a port flow better on a flow bench by simply making it bigger, yet this does not necessarily yield more power on the dyno. That is mainly because a flow bench does not give very beneficial information about flow velocity. And flow velocity is critical to inertia supercharging, which along with intake and exhaust pulse tuning are the main reasons why it is possible to achieve greater than 100% volumetric efficiency in a naturally aspirated internal combustion engine. The way that air is caused to enter the combustion chamber can also have a strong impact on power production. For instance, it may be desirable to cause the incoming air to "swirl" into the chamber. This swirl is initially induced within the ports, but cannot be measured on a flow bench.

As a general rule of thumb one would like the smallest port cross section that will yield good flow. Yet there is much more to it than that. Factors such as port profile and valve seat angles must also be addressed. Through careful attention to these parameters a good cylinder head technician might well be able to increase the flow of a given port without substantially modifying its cross-sectional area, thereby increasing power over a broad range of the useful rpm band.

Another important fact to keep in mind when examining flow bench results is that a flow bench operates with a constant pressure drop across the port(s). In reality however, the pressure drop across the ports is constantly changing (along with valve lift) as the piston moves down the bore on the intake stroke (and beyond), up the bore on the exhaust stroke, and as any pulse tuning effects play their part. And the manner in which the pressure delta across the ports changes with piston position in the bore is also dependent on RPM as well as rod ratio (an often overlooked contribution). So in theory a flow bench test session should be run with the test pressure varying according to valve lift, with the pressure vs. lift data having been determined from measurements on an actual running engine. And even that data would only be applicable to one throttle setting, presumably full throttle. This could present quite a challenge. However, flow bench experts have found over the years that quite good results can be obtained by running the flow bench somewhere close to the "average" pressure drop that the port is likely to see in actual application.

After all this, it must be decided at which particular pressure to run the flow bench. Test pressure is usually indicate in inches of water (in. H2O). The actual pressure drop across an intake port might vary from 0 in.H2O to 250 in.H2O during an engine cycle, but flow bench operators have found the the "shape" of the flow vs. lift curve is relatively unchanged when varying the test pressure. Test pressures that have been used by successful flow bench operators appear to have varied from as low as 3 in. H2O to as much as 80 in. H2O. The most important factor is that the same pressure be used for all comparison testing. Certainly running the bench at 200 in. H2O would produce very high absolute flow numbers, and this might highlight certain aspects of the port flow such as separation, which would not occur at lower pressure differentials. But in practice this appears useful only in extracting the very last 1-3% from an engine. And it makes for a very expensive flow bench. All of the charts in this article were obtained at 10 in. H2O.

Note: If someone says "You should see the flow chart for the XYZ head!" be cautious. Sure that head may flow real well, but a flow chart on it's own is not very meaningful. Flow data cannot generally be compared from one flow bench to another, except perhaps by someone with a lot of flow bench experience. Flow data is most useful when used to compare cylinder heads (or cyl. head modifications) back to back on the same flow bench (at the same test pressure of course). You can't look at a flow chart like you look at a dyno chart, and pick off the peak power and torque. It just does not work that way. This is an important distinction to keep in mind.

Good technical information regarding the theory of flow benches can be found on the www.Superflow.com website.