Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analog to digital climate control swap complete!!

My Cars
    '94 325is

Analog to digital climate control swap complete!!

Hey all.

Just thought I'd post here about my recent conversion. I know there's been a LOT of uncertainty around the internet about this swap, and I just want you all to know that IT CAN BE DONE!

The swap itself is easy, it's the disassembly that would make this not worth it. I'm in the middle of doing a tan to black interior conversion and leatheriquing my seats, so my interior was ripped apart already. When I started swapping the heater parts, ALL of my dash was gone, down to the support bars on either side of the car.

With disassembly out of the way, the swap takes about 2-3 hours. I don't know about the swap other cars like 318's, but mine is a 1994 325is.

You need -
    96+ heater box and harness - $100
    96+ digital climate control computer - $60
    96+ center vent - $30
    (all from a 23k mile M3, so fairly new)

So I did mine for a grand total of $190.

After you have all the parts, you just swap the heater boxes (draining the coolant is not necessary, but you HAVE to discharge the A/C. This should be done by a licenced technician as R-12 and R-134a are very hazardous to the environment. I released mine into the air, only because the car was immobile and nobody could come bring the equipment to me.), plug in the heater harness to the chassis harness, and plug in your new digital climate control module. You're done! It's plug and play. With the updated HVAC parts, you also can now get rid of the A/C control module from the old system, which is the black box forward of the shifter and under the ash tray.

Now, I know some of you are going to tell me how the digital climate control sucks. My heater core was bad, my analog climate control faceplate was delaminating, my blower motor needed to be replaced and therefore was blowing the resistor pack. So for $190 I replaced all the bad parts, updated the look of the interior, and now have 9 fan speeds as opposed to 4. Oh, and a cool auto mode too.

Questions, comments? LETS HEAR 'EM!

Pics coming as soon as I convert them.

Last edited by exodus454; 03-21-2008 at 08:18 PM.

mods · depos · 55w DDM 5000k lows · Shield modded projectors · color matched rockers · color matched trim · chrome DSII's · bilstein sport shocks · H&R sport springs · custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust · M3 offset LCABs · airbox debaffle · UUC Red Tranny Mounts · UUC RTABS · K&N · fan delete · Castrol GTX · Manual/heated Vaders · Tan to black conversion · Microsuede headliner, a/b/c pillars & sunroof shuttle · alpine head unit ·

My Cars
    '94 325i
    Nice. Was it worth it?

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by cmk5b View Post
    Nice. Was it worth it?
    I'd say so, so far. I've spent a good deal of time playing with it, but I'm still dying leather so the car is still not being driven.

I'll give you a good answer in a few weeks.

mods · depos · 55w DDM 5000k lows · Shield modded projectors · color matched rockers · color matched trim · chrome DSII's · bilstein sport shocks · H&R sport springs · custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust · M3 offset LCABs · airbox debaffle · UUC Red Tranny Mounts · UUC RTABS · K&N · fan delete · Castrol GTX · Manual/heated Vaders · Tan to black conversion · Microsuede headliner, a/b/c pillars & sunroof shuttle · alpine head unit ·

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I HATED my analog climate controls... always breaking, too much of a hassle to use.

I like my knobs more

My Cars
    BMW 94 325is
    That conversion looks way too hard for somone who isn't ripin their interior apart :/

My Cars
    1997 528i
    So am I correct in assuming I would have to completely remove my dash in order to do this. I mean I would LOVE to lose the ugly beige one I have now but....

My Cars
    1995 318is
    What exactly has to be taken apart in order to get at what needs to be replaced?

Because the head is off my motor, my ac is EMPTY, and my blower resistor is gone, so it almost seems like a good time.
    1995 318is
    violet on black
    5 speed w/ lsd
    268.xxxkm

My Cars
    99' 328i, 2007 Tundra
    Sorry to dredge this up from the depths, but after doing this, did it look possible to simply move the analog control panel down one slot to the lower double DIN cage?

I'm going to attempt to put in a double din touch screen in the upper section hopefully.

My Cars
    325i, Gmc jimmy
    im curious to know what all is involved to dothis from stock with all thingsi n place

My Cars
    11 335d, 03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus454 View Post
    So for $190 I replaced all the bad parts, updated the look of the interior, and now have 9 fan speeds as opposed to 4.
    Not to be technical or anything but I have about a million settings between Off and 1... so I think you just downgraded .

Nice swap though. I'd have liked to have the digital climate control.
    Strömung Exhaust // Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport Suspension // Microsuede Interior // 6000k HIDs // Cosmos V2 Intake // Manual ZF Swap // Jim Conforti Chip

My Cars
    BMW 325i e36 (Euro); Z3 1.8; Porsche 930 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rideanddestroy View Post
    im curious to know what all is involved to dothis from stock with all thingsi n place
    me too

My Cars
    E36TRBO,01m3 S/C,others
    so i cant just take the knob controller out and put in a digi controller? i have to change the airbox behind it. i have a 93 325is

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I don't think my digital temp allows me to set a temp above 80.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    it should

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaww View Post
    Sorry to dredge this up from the depths, but after doing this, did it look possible to simply move the analog control panel down one slot to the lower double DIN cage?

I'm going to attempt to put in a double din touch screen in the upper section hopefully.
    If you have figured out if this will work, please let me know. I've been wanting to do the same thing.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Not to be a downer, but I do heating and air for a living. If I were you I would edit that first post about releasing your freon into the air. If the wrong person read that you could be in some serious trouble if they could prove you did it. Just a thought.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by jijacob View Post
    Not to be technical or anything but I have about a million settings between Off and 1... so I think you just downgraded .

Nice swap though. I'd have liked to have the digital climate control.
    Look how old his topic is

PS the unit has 8 speed setting, not 9, unless you include off.

Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    It should go up to 90 (32° C)

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaww View Post

It's been done:

Last edited by MParallel; 10-29-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    It's been done:

THAT. is. sexy.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Maybe its easier on a RHD car... I couldnt get the climate control down there. Its too long
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    My heater works but wont direct air to the feet on my 94' is this a problem with the controls or the flap thingy (thats the technical term...) that directs the air
    1994 325ic - 5spd - Dinan Stage II - CF Intake - Exhaust - Throttle Body - Software - Suspension - M Bumper and Door Trim - Smoked Lights

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    My heater works but wont direct air to the feet on my 94' is this a problem with the controls or the flap thingy (thats the technical term...) that directs the air
    I did the analogue to digital switch about a year ago.... my passengers always complained about the power not being quite as strong with the digital as with the previous analogue unit.

My AC died completely about a week ago and is in the shop being looked at today - so I hope to have answers on that issue as well as having it blow cold air again. Fingers crossed

My Cars
    05 325i_99 323IS_94 325i
    Probably the Resistor Pack? What all would u have to take out to get to that heater box and swap them to the Digital Box? I want to do this, but locating a digital Style heater box is tricky! and I dont know how much of the car Ill need to take apart.

For Sale: (E36) Trans ECU, OEM amber corners, Stock Mirrors, stock amp,E46 Amp, Need to Use an SRS Reset / E36Code puller? E46 Programming Module PM me
    Wanted: E46 Post facelift Carbon Fiber Hood. Have and E36/46 problem..MSG ME. I would be glad to help you out!

Want error free LED License plate lights for less? Go here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21079814

My Cars
    1999 e36 316i coupe

climate control

Hi there,

I tried to do the same retrofitting but when i took out the glovebox i realised that i only had the white plug. I was missing the black plug. Any idea of where it can be or if you got a new harness?

thanks
    Deeban

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by deeban View Post
    Hi there,

I tried to do the same retrofitting but when i took out the glovebox i realised that i only had the white plug. I was missing the black plug. Any idea of where it can be or if you got a new harness?

thanks
    Deeban
    it shouldn't be behind the glovebox.. typographical error?

My Cars
    1999 e36 316i coupe
    where would it be then? I think it wasnt glovebox actually it was more near the centre where the vents are. if that helps?

and also u have written that u got a harness. what exactly was the harness? isnt it jus the plugs from the heater matrix itself?
    Last edited by deeban; 01-16-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast