Thread: front pitman arm removal trouble

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740i

front pitman arm removal trouble

I am replacing drive link and cant get the pitman arm to let go....using a pitman arm removal tool and it just wont give...any thoughts....i got the oter side free but this one is a bugger...hammering and using the tool and nothing...help!!!

thanks,

michael

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    This is from backinblack98, "4. If you have trouble getting the pitman arm and idler arm off of the centerlink and are changing out the centerlink, you can actual disconnect the idler arm from the frame - which is quite easy, disconnect the pitman arm from the steering gearbox and snake the whole thing through and out the driver side. obviously you will have to turn the idler arm parallel to the centerlink & tie rod ends. Then you can easily pop them off using that tool in the pic above in the bottom left. IMPORTANT Make sure to mark the pitman arm and gear to indicate where it needs to line backup on installation."

Here is a link, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=pitman+arm

What removal tool are you using?

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740i
    using one i got from napa.....1 1/8 pitman arm removal

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740i
    i am replacing the center link as the inner tie rod is bad on drivers side...have everyting else ready just cant get this one on driverside loose....

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740i
    thanks plik, i will try that!

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740i
    it worked! thanks plik, i removed it and then used a fork and beat the heck out of it as i could drive to get the tool, back together now and going to for alignment tomorrow

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    Quote Originally Posted by cerizoman1 View Post
    it worked! thanks plik, i removed it and then used a fork and beat the heck out of it as i could drive to get the tool, back together now and going to for alignment tomorrow
    It is so much easier that way isnt it? The just isn't enough room or leverage to get the tool in there to pop it off. Glad things worked out well for you! Car will feel great after your alignment.
    2001 - Alpine White 740IL
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by cerizoman1 View Post
    I'm glad it worked.

Don't thank me, though; thank backinblack98. I just copied what he wrote in another thread.