Thread: Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates

So I just noticed the dreaded cracking front strut towers this weekend, which I am going to have repaired next weekend. I ordered the 96+ reinforcement plates but I have a few questions about them:

First off, my cracking is occurring on the outer edge of the strut mount, very similarly to this:

Except, imagine a 1 inch crack where the thickest rust is on the right hand side of the image (I stole that pic from another thread). I haven't actually seen the reinforcements in person, but in the picture they look to be about the same diameter as the strut mount. Will the reinforcement help in my situation? Are they actually wider than the strut mount?

And second, they say bolt-on fitment, but my friend suggested that he welds them in while fixing the crack on the tower. Would welding them in be better? Do they ever need to come out?

Thanks!

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    You're right ... they are about the size of that rust. They act to spead the load on the metal, so they still help. The key will be to get a good repair job done that will not fail. Tack welding them in is done primarily to make install easy ... so they don't fall out when removing the strut.

You might look into getting replacement strut towers from BMW, and just cutting down a bit to make a cap on to of your old towers ... this would certainly fix the problem! What are you using for suspension to get that kind of cracking?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    You're right ... they are about the size of that rust. They act to spead the load on the metal, so they still help. The key will be to get a good repair job done that will not fail. Tack welding them in is done primarily to make install easy ... so they don't fall out when removing the strut.

You might look into getting replacement strut towers from BMW, and just cutting down a bit to make a cap on to of your old towers ... this would certainly fix the problem! What are you using for suspension to get that kind of cracking?
    Well I'm hoping that I won't have to go that far as far as replacing the entire tower. My friend welds for a living...but he doesn't do body work so that would make the repair quite a bit more costly (I know the part is only like $15).

As far as suspension up front; I have bilstein shocks, H&R sports, powerflex bushings, x-brace and the LTW strut brace.

Its a 95 that has been tracked for several years. To be honest I don't even know how long the cracking has been there. I've had the car for 2 years but I've only removed the strut brace twice. The first time I removed it I noticed a ring of rust but didn't inspect it closely because I was new to the car and knew nothing about the potential problem. I've personally taken it to the track 3 days in the past 2 years, so for all I know I could have been driving with it all along

Oh, and my friend was suggesting actually welding them in, not just tacking them it.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    The plates are just slightly larger then the strut mounts. I really don't see the advantage of welding them in place. You could I suppose.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubehor View Post
    The plates are just slightly larger then the strut mounts. I really don't see the advantage of welding them in place. You could I suppose.
    Well I'd honestly rather not since that requires cleaning everything up underneath the car in order to get good welds. If it doesn't make a difference in structural integrity then I'd rather just put them in there. I guess I was asking if welding would make them even stronger.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrotkier View Post
    Well I'm hoping that I won't have to go that far as far as replacing the entire tower. My friend welds for a living...but he doesn't do body work so that would make the repair quite a bit more costly (I know the part is only like $15).

As far as suspension up front; I have bilstein shocks, H&R sports, powerflex bushings, x-brace and the LTW strut brace.

Its a 95 that has been tracked for several years. To be honest I don't even know how long the cracking has been there. I've had the car for 2 years but I've only removed the strut brace twice. The first time I removed it I noticed a ring of rust but didn't inspect it closely because I was new to the car and knew nothing about the potential problem. I've personally taken it to the track 3 days in the past 2 years, so for all I know I could have been driving with it all along

Oh, and my friend was suggesting actually welding them in, not just tacking them it.
    I didn't mean to replace the towers ... you weld the replacement overtop of the old one to get a double layer.

However, since the damage was likely done before you got it, fix it and you should be good (until you track the car that is!)
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    I didn't mean to replace the towers ... you weld the replacement overtop of the old one to get a double layer.

However, since the damage was likely done before you got it, fix it and you should be good (until you track the car that is!)

Ah ok, I didn't realize that was a possibility.

I'm tracking the car in the beginning of May.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Do camber plates act as a strut reinforcement or do they increase the likely hood of a cracked strut tower???

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    Do camber plates act as a strut reinforcement or do they increase the likely hood of a cracked strut tower???
    Increase. Most if not all cars with cracked strut towers have stiff suspension. Camber plates are not as forgiving as the stock strut plates that have a rubber bushing made to absorb road vibrations.

Strut towers on the other hand can act as a strut reinforcement if they cover the shock mount similar to the Z3 plates for the rear shock towers.

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36