Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on my ghetto interior light proj..

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB

Talking Update on my ghetto interior light proj..

Remember my interior light post? No? Too bad, Im too lazy to paraphrase or bring up a link. Anyway, I tried painting the bulbs with model paint... thats just too ghetto (besides, the crap nearly cought on fire). I then tried looking for paint that wouldnt fry... I came upon such lovely products in a Kragens down by the $tealer.

What type of paint? OEM-style engine block paint (for domestics that is). I bought two cans, Chevrolet Orange and Ford Red. Since these are paints designed for an engine block, they are tested up to 500degF. I figure a bulb shouldnt get any hotter than that, unless its Saeed with one of his 30 zillion watt light conversions . There was also paint tested up to 1200degF, but that was an extra dollar ($4.99 a can vs. $3.99), so I didnt buy it.

I did a trial run on two replacement bulbs I bought, one with the red, one with the orange. After letting them dry for about 10 minutes, instead of the 5 days like the directions recommended, I tested them out. Now, if you think Im crazy enough to plug some fruity painted light into my car to test it, youre wrong. I whipped out my slow trickle battery recharger (POS is good for something afterall) and plugged the lights in. Both looked quite good, and guess what, THEY DIDNT SMOKE!! Both bulbs stayed relatively cool too... though the paint made the bulb retain heat longer, the max temp was about the same as a "normal" (clear) bulb.

I let them dry for a couple hours, and about 20 minutes ago (its dark now) I took them out and plugged each into the "main" dome light (between the sun visors). Though each looked good, I have to say Chevrolet Orange was the best match to the amber dash. The orange also produced more light than the Ford Red.

Tomorrow I will take my time and make a final painted bulb for the dome light, and then two more for the two lights in the rear passenger sides (different bulbs though, 5W rather than 10W). I will keep the two map lights (up front, on either side of the dome light) "normal" so if I ever need a strong, clear light to read something I still have one (or two, actually).
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    You need some shag carpeting... and to string some christmas lights along the headliner... and your in pimp city

Originally posted by Stockman
    You need some shag carpeting... and to string some christmas lights along the headliner... and your in pimp city
    Youre not mocking me, are you?
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    I am laughing *with* you... Update on my ghetto interior light proj..

Yea.. it is ghetto, isnt it?

Hey, its not my fault Sylvania is too lazy to make orange/amber colored 6411 and 6418 bulbs : .
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    1990 325i

Re: Update on my ghetto interior light proj..

Originally posted by Anfanger There was also paint tested up to 1200degF, but that was an extra dollar ($4.99 a can vs. $3.99), so I didnt buy it.

[/B]
    haha, thats business

My Cars
    '99 323IC, '02 525

check out this interior lighting

The Ultimate Taxi in Aspen, CO

http://www.ultimatetaxi.com/car/index.html

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    Wow - does he actually carry passenger around in that thing?

-E-

My Cars
    2011 335

Good writeup

Good writeup...it is good that you let us know your status I've been thinking about the same thing. I know what paint to get now.

Maybe you can take pics of it and post it or something. I'd be interested to see the product.
    ---------------
    "The beating will continue until morale improves."

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    Take sum pics of your pimp ride so I can pimp my ride out like yours. Homie G dawg.

that taxi is crazy...I would'n mind havin sum red lazers in my car that would be kool.
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

My Cars
    d
    don't forget the electronic drum set and keyboard too

Made and installed all 3 bulbs today... its more still more red than amber but I still like it . At night, with all the lights on it looks quite... weird, hehe. Austin would call it "evil" :p . Ill try to post pics sometime, but I dont have a digicam or scanner, so this will require alotta effort on my part.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    No Car
    AFanger. Do they make that "paint" in blue?? I've been trying to do my rear lights blue b/c they dont make 5 w blue ones.

If so would i be able to get this at a local pepboys or Autozone?? where would i be able to find this stuff. Does it go on clear (translucent) or does it go on like normal spray paint?? Thanks for your helP!
    ________
    Herbal Vaporizers
    Last edited by SupaBimma; 02-22-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Supa - I found the paint at Kragens (equivalent to Autozone or the like). The brand name was "Duplicolor" or something and I just picked a can I thought would match the dash. The paint is just enamel spray paint but its designed for an engine block thus its 500degF frying-point. Even with two coats, the bulb is able to produce enough light to shine through, so dont worry about too much paint... just use common sense. Note that there is still less light than a "normal" (clear) bulb, but there is enough to see, even with my black interior.
    One tricky thing to watch out for is that the light from the bulb is very bright, so the color you choose will actually shine much lighter than you would think... eg. blue would shine as aquamarine, and red would shine as pink. You can solve this two ways: pick a darker shade or apply more coats of paint. However, too much paint will reduce the shine and probably get the bulb too hot.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    No Car
    Anfanger - THANKS!!!

I think this is alot better than my Sharpie idea. hehe. Yeah I dont care if its dim, Infact i want it to be dimmer, but i just want to make sure if i make it dim the bulb will not over heat. I dont care about seeing, I can just use map lights for that. Im simply doing it for the look, b/c it looks so cool. Avus blue with blue indiglo's and blue interior lights and soon to be blue radio, you get the picture, it will look nice together.

why would the bulb get too hot with too much paint??
    just curious, if the paint is meant to withstand 500 degreeF wouldnt it make it cooler?? just curious.

So what the max number of coats possible you think?? 3 coats?? what if i just want one coat. thanks for your help!
    ________
    Toyota u engine
    Last edited by SupaBimma; 02-22-2011 at 09:57 AM.

I guess you can put on as many coats as you want... but why would you? I just put on a second coat mainly to make sure I didnt have any "shallow spots" on the first coat.
    I still think too many coats is a bad idea... even though the paint may be tested up to 500degF, I still wouldnt want an ounce of 500deg paint sitting in my roof, ya know? In other words, any more than 3 coats is overkill... the paint would be too thick for the bulb to shine through and it would just end up being a ball of paint with a bulb in the middle :p . It wont burn or sizzle, but it may drip .
    Id start with one or two coats and see how it looks, you can always add more later. And be careful!! First try the painted bulb OUT of the car (any 12V source will work, like a battery charger ) in case of any mishaps. Also, the paint I used requires 5 days to fully dry... so yours may melt or smoke if you leave the bulb on for too long. Treat your bulbs as if they had a break-in period... only on for a max of 1 minute for the first week .
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    No Car
    gotcha thanks for your help dude!
    ________
    Arizona dispensaries

My Cars
    No Car
    Hey I went and bought the stuff you were talking about.

I got "FORD BLUE" it was the bluest of all of them. I am using one of my old stock bulbs. I want to see how it turns out. The bulb is drying right now. (im trying it on the lowbeam, this is a good test to see how much heat it can withstand. I will post the results later.
    ________
    VAPORIZER SHOP

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    Okie dokie I'm almost their I went to Pepboyz. I got my replacement 6411 & 6418 bulbs. I looked at the engine paint. They had Chevy orange and Ford Red and Universal Red they also had alot of blues the you blue ppl.

I wish I could see how yours looks cuz i dont want orange I want like blood red interior lights....is what i'm goin for. So I hav'nt bought the paint juz yet. Is yours orangish red or lite red or lite orange? Cuz i want evil red I dont care how bright i'll use map lights for that or bust out with the flash light haha
    2001 Toyota 4runner

Anyone know of any high-temp green paint that'd do the same thing? I'm looking for the nightvision look in jet cockpits... Although I'm sure the green light and the orange instruments will clash horribly...

My Cars
    No Car
    I messed up, I put one really thick coat. I wish i hadnt done that. Now that bulb is useless. In the process i also lost my other bulb. I wish there was a way the sharpie would stay on b/c it looks so damn good. I may just buy a real bulb up front and color the two rear ones.
    ________
    Vapormatic vaporizer

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    Always go lite its easier to come back an add more than to take off. Ok I'm on my way to store shall be painting my lights in a few hours.....
    maybe have pics posted by tomorrow.....
    2001 Toyota 4runner

Kenshiro - if you want to paint, then Im certain there will be some type of green paint you can buy that will work. Just browse... Im sure youll find a "Pontiac Green" or something.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    No Car
    Guys forget that idea. I FOUND THE PERFECT STUFF!!!!

Its Real stained glass paint. This stuff is incredible, I bought a few different shades of blue and i will be trying them out very soon. its ten times better than the engine stuff .I cant wait to see the results!

The only bad thing is it takes 3 days to dry, so i will wait and see. I will test them on my lowbeam stock bulbs to see how they look. I will post pics in 3 days!
    ________
    Crf50
    Last edited by SupaBimma; 02-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.

May we ask where you found this magic elixir?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast