Thread: Wipers

My Cars
    BMW 540i

Wipers

Hey guys and girls, i just bought a 1997 540i for 5 grand. The body is awesome but needs some minor things. The problem i just encountered is the wipers no longer work. Is there a relay for this or how do they operate.

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    Good deal on the 540 (assuming it doesn't need anything big).

First thing's first -- check the fuse to be sure it's OK.

Do you hear the wiper motor come on when you turn on the wipers? If you do, the wiper arms have broken free of their ball joints, and will need to be fixed.

Does the wash function work? If no, it could be the wiper stalk/switch.

There is a relay which runs the wipers. It is in the box underneath the passenger side cabin air filter. If you do a search on "wiper double relay" here or at Bimmerfest, you should get lots of results. One thing to keep in mind is that 97s (at least mine) don't seem to have the "double" relay, just a plain relay.

If you go through all of these options, you might be into a new wiper motor. Expensive at the dealer, but there are lots of options on the net to save money.

Good luck with the car!
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    ...and if you need new blades, i found a pair for 4 dollars that fit at Parts Authority... so... check around before you buy em.

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread