Thread: E39 Radio Bezel Guide

My Cars
    540i, 328ic

E39 Radio Bezel Guide

DIY Double Din Radio Bezel for E39

This DIY is not difficult but can be very intimidating for those intimidated by handicrafts. There is no such thing as a Double Din bezel that can be purchased over the counter. There is a guy who advertises (www. myb~~m~r.net) Double Din Bezels for the E39 on the internet but he has long since stop producing them in bulk……… There are a thousand tales in the naked BMW universe, this is just one of them that worked for me!

Once your system is installed and centered correctly in the stock radio opening. You will need the following:

1 12”x12” Sheet, ABS (Metra Radio Installation Kit Dealers should have on hand or Google search on-line)
    2 1 Strip of wood cut in length to fit the opening
    3 Wood Putty, small wood screws & finishing nails
    4 Sandpaper, Wood file, Superglue, Black Paint, Wood glue
    5 1 strip of brass or aluminum metal to use as an anchor
    6 Custom color match dip to taste or make black with ABS only (Custom dip available at www.APSISUSA.com . Ask for Jersey for help. It takes about 30 days to turn around. They do the best job and your fabricated part will look OEM!!
    7 Nerve, time & very basic handicraft skills.

Let’s Get Busy!!!!

• First cut ABS & wood strip to fit opening of head unit & BMW Radio opening slot. (All head units differ in size. Pioneer comes with a template, suggest you measure accurately or use the template supplied)

• Shape the top of the wood strip to fit the curve of the opening with wood putty. File and sand to perfection.

• Sand the ABS until almost smooth, paint and let dry. You can use ABS only or use the combination of wood strip and ABS. If you plan to use the color match ABS this process will take at least 30 days due to the dipping process.

• Build a wood frame to fit around your previously installed Double Din radio to support your bezel. Position the frame so that it supports the radio and the bezel. You may not need to build the entire frame around the entire radio. I used just three pieces to support the bezel. Secure the frame to the radio opening with the existing holes for original radio.

• Use brass or aluminum metal as an anchoring point for the wood strip.

• Secure top portion (wood strip) under the existing trim pieces left and right. Fabricate holes using the wood screws, center and secure.

• Super glue the bezel on the wood frame.

Pictures in this process say a thousand unwritten words. Patience, caution and carefulness will help with this process. Exact measurements were purpose left of this DIY because the size of your radio will differ and radio position will determine cuts
    required.

Good luck, go slow and you can do this…….man!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Twin Que; 03-17-2008 at 05:13 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-speed Sport /// '94 Z28 Camaro 'vert
    Pics???
    FOR SALE '00 540i 6-speed 101k mi - 260 RWHP & 311 RWTQ - OEM '00 M5 tails, OEM '03 M-tech rear bumper, Magnaflow, 6000k fogs, CDV delete, M5 rear swaybar, Akebono ceramic pads, Brembo rotors, AMSOIL, etc.

My Cars
    540i, 328ic
    Pics added have more if you want. PM me.....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    What did you use to cut the ABS plastic? Also, what grit sandpaper? You should list that in the tools you will need.
    Last edited by hitek510; 03-18-2008 at 12:08 AM.

2001 E39

My Cars
    540i, 328ic
    OK,
    Tools.....
    Medium grit sandpaper, wood file
    Small, fine tooth hacksaw

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Good stuff!

My Cars
    '02 530i & '09 335d
    looks really nice. I usually hate the looks of the double din but this looks nice and clean

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Que View Post
    OK,
    Tools.....
    Medium grit sandpaper, wood file
    Small, fine tooth hacksaw
    Please edit this additional info into your first post and consider using a photo hosting site like photobucket to add photos to each individual step if possible.

Great job!

My Cars
    2003/E39/525iM/70k
    what system is that? I'v been looking for the aftermarket bmw one for a while.

Old car->1992/E34/525iA/70k

My Cars
    2001 e39 535i
    Hi , MY 01 E39 535I Radio sound just stop working and all radio function seem to OK ?

My Cars
    BMW 530 & 335
    good stuff