Thread: 2001 530i gas leak

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

2001 530i gas leak

Hi,
    I have a recent problem with a 2001 BMW 530i. The Service Engine light came on about two weeks ago and gave the error code P0455 Large Evaporative Emissions Leak. I also noticed the last time I filled the car up with gas there was actually gasoline leaking from the right hand underside (gas filler side) of the car. The leak continued and then quit, but I did notice the strong smell of gas when I checked the car again after getting home.
    Are there any seals that could leak or maybe the filler fuel line has cracked? With 3/4 of the tank full it appears the leak has stopped to I suspect it may be the line from the tank to the full filler that has a crack??

I plan to run the car empty before attempting to get underneath it to check the lines.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...
    Kevin

My Cars
    E39
    I've got the same problem. Pulled the RR wheel and the inside cover, filled the tank. I see gas all over the top of the tank, with none above the filler neck. Kevin, have you diagnosed yours? I'm afraid I'm looking at a new tank, unless there's a fix for this that doesn't involve that.

Thanks,
    Bob

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Do you think it might be the hose from the filler neck to the gas tank?
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964