Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: How to clean lens in CD head unit?

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1

How to clean lens in CD head unit?

My Kenwood eXcelon (can't remember model offhand...) headunit is becoming increasingly less able to play CDs. Just about all of my CD's skip badly if they play at all, so I'm thinking maybe the lens needs some cleaning after two years of use.

The instructions say that I need to have the unit professionally cleaned (I think they even say that I have to send it back to Kenwood), but I'd rather not go through the expense if there's a way I can do it myself.

Will one of those CD cleaner kits work? Or will the tiny brushes get caught up when I insert the disc, since it's not a tray-style the way a home CD player is?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i
    When I had my first head unit I used one of the disc cleaners and it worked fine. I don't know if it is good for the head unit though.

My Cars
    stuff
    it isnt...i went through this in a thread sometime ago...do a search and u might find it... use 'alcohol' (i dont remember if thats how i spelled it) as a search parameter...
    Kevin

My Cars
    97 silver M3 coupe
    a used a cd with brushes and it worked fine
    Mods: Dinan CF intake, chip, and stage III suspension.

My Cars
    stuff
    you are fortunate..i have had those things totally mess up teh alignment on multiple alpines/one toyota head/one panasonic head...u might be ok but i dont use em anymore...i guess i just had a bad time with em...
    Kevin

My Cars
    Hmm...thanks for the replies I found that thread; maybe I'll try with some compressed air first, then one of those cleaning discs, but it sounds like my headunit is probably a goner, anyway. Maybe it's time for a CD-R/MP3 capable unit. Now, if I only had a job...
    -c///m
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    stuff
    let us know how it turns out...
    Kevin

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Beh, my headunit still skips. I'm thinking about ditching it altogether and getting an LCD screen and whatnot.

Compressed air didn't work and I'm too afraid to use the discs with brushes....

Let us know how it turns out dude.
    ~Chris

My Cars
    Ok, I tried compressed air, but it seemed to make things worse. I could barely get some of my CDs to play.

Then, having nothing to lose, I tried a CD cleaning disc. It's made by Maxell, model CD-340. I followed the instructions, then tried one of my discs. It had consistent skips at 8 seconds and 58 seconds of track one, but now it plays just fine, skip-free.

It seems to have worked for me. Judging from other people's experiences, I'll only use it as a last resort, but at least it is an option...
    -c///m

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Looks like I'll go pick me up one of those this weekend
    ~Chris

My Cars
    stuff
    sweet...i usually open up the players and use a cotton swab with alcohol(i think i mentioned this in the thread i spoke of) but if the cleaning kit works for u then GREAT...
    Kevin

My Cars
    Originally posted by kevin7909
    sweet...i usually open up the players and use a cotton swab with alcohol(i think i mentioned this in the thread i spoke of) but if the cleaning kit works for u then GREAT...
    Kevin
    Yup, I would have tried that, too, but my headunit has this bizarre extra piece that I couldn't get to fit in the dash when I tried installing the unit myself, and I'd rather not pay for installation a second time
    -c///m

My Cars
    stuff
    ahh....gotcha ...it woulda worked..i like to do it because using a magnifying glass and a good flashlight can pretty much be sure its perfectly clean and can inspect other parts also...just part of my fastidiousness i guess.....i dont blame u tho...save money wherever u can!!!
    Kevin