Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Is an electric fan worth the money?

My Cars
    Blown 530

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Star View Post
    I like to err on the side of caution and picked up a fan that moves 2000cfm.
    You can over do it - trust me. Not only can you over cool the engine, if its a straight blade fan it will be loud as SHIT. I have a 2700 CFM fan on my car and it sounds like a hovercraft. Additionally, the power requirement for my fan is huge like 30 - 40 amps. Thats a lot. But, I don't have any other fan and my fan is in front of my 4" intercooler... so I needed as much as I could get. That fan combined with my lower temp t-stat, my car never actually reaches the halfway point - just a few ticks under (about 168 - 174F)

My Cars
    07 Civic Si, 87 325E

will that shroud work on my M62 radiator?

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Don't know. I just happened upon this info last week by accident, and thought it might help someone.

My Cars
    03' BMW 530i 5sp
    The 2004 530i also has the M54 engine and it also uses an electric fan. . . but the expansion tanks are different i believe. . . somebody needs to figure out a super clean install for this and then do a DIY.

My Cars
    01 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    You can over do it - trust me. Not only can you over cool the engine, if its a straight blade fan it will be loud as SHIT. I have a 2700 CFM fan on my car and it sounds like a hovercraft. Additionally, the power requirement for my fan is huge like 30 - 40 amps. Thats a lot. But, I don't have any other fan and my fan is in front of my 4" intercooler... so I needed as much as I could get. That fan combined with my lower temp t-stat, my car never actually reaches the halfway point - just a few ticks under (about 168 - 174F)

Well, you forget that when you remove the v8's clutch fan, at stop there will be no kind of cooling at all, unless one of the fans kick on. And 2000cfm for a v8 really isn't all that big. I had to run a larger one on a straight 6 due to the heat it put out.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPRunkle View Post
    somebody needs to figure out a super clean install for this and then do a DIY.
    That somebody is YOU!!!!!!!

My Cars
    03' BMW 530i 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    That somebody is YOU!!!!!!!
    HAHA apparently . . . give me 6 months to a year and I will have something for you.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Star View Post
    Well, you forget that when you remove the v8's clutch fan, at stop there will be no kind of cooling at all, unless one of the fans kick on. And 2000cfm for a v8 really isn't all that big. I had to run a larger one on a straight 6 due to the heat it put out.
    There are alot of cars that aren't clutch based fans that get no cooling when stopped, more than not..... There is also the backup aux fan that will come on if needed, and if it's hot enough the fan kicks on anyway if wired correctly. Does the I-6 have the aux fan as well?

On a side note, I think I'm getting a new Rad, Expanding tank, and electric fan... should be good for a few miles afte that...anything else.... Should I really get a new pump too? Having a hard time finding a alum one for the v8... thought I found one but can't find it and didin't bookmark the page...
    Last edited by Camarok; 02-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    01 540i
    Yes but those cars are designed differently from a cooling standpoint. Do you think BMW just added the clutch fan for kicks? Also, I would never count on the aux fan to keep my car running cool. There are plently of failures for them (due to leaves), it is a pusher fan, and is it really up to keeping the motor cool? Or to serve as a secondary fan when you turn the a/c on?

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    I understand that totally, but if you have the pusher and the aftermarket 12v fan I don't see what the problem would be. I don't know the reason BMW put the clutch fan in for kicks, are the new ( 2009 ) cars clutch fan cooled or no? Just curious, I know it was engineered for kicks it had a point. I do also notice you live in a warmer climate as I do, so I can see how that might have an effect on the cooling system. I've read success stories, I've seen possible problems. Judging by where I live and what can be done I think I'm gonna do this. Thanks for the insite though
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    03' BMW 530i 5sp
    For somebody more knowledgeable than I am. . .

All the engines are M54, but the e39 is the only one that doesn't use an electric fan.

For e39 530i - notice this is the only M54 that has the auxiliary water pump. Has expansion tank on the passenger side. Number 4 in this diagram is the "TEMPERATURE SENSOR" part#13621433077. Can this be tapped into for the auxiliary fan?

For e85 Z4 - notice this is just like the e39 except that it has no auxiliary water pump

For e60 530i - slightly different connections than the Z4 still no auxiliary water pump

Why did BMW remove the auxiliary pump from other M54 engines? Do you think its practical to switch from the e39 setup to one of the others? What about that "TEMPERATURE SENSOR" in the e39 diagram? Ideas?

My Cars
    03' BMW 530i 5sp
    bump

My Cars
    BMWs
    The E39 uses a mechanical fan because its cheaper and it has room for it. It also likely has a secondary water pump because the heater core is probably larger or the distance between the outlet of the head and the heater core is further.

why are you set on using an electric fan?

My Cars
    Blown 530
    The space issues are pretty much the same between the e39 & e85 m54.

Maybe just a new engineer redesigned the system.

My Cars
    03' BMW 530i 5sp
    Just been thinking of taking the extra weight of the water pump since I am about to replace it.

Also heard it helps the engine rev a little more freely and thinking of also doing underdrive pulleys.

Just a bunch of little things that could possibly add up to difference.

Its proving to be more of a headache than it is probably worth. I want a very clean, easy, and affordable swap. Finding something that is all three has been hard so far.

My Cars
    BMWs
    It is a headache - you have to mount it and shroud it. The factory mechanical fan more than likely moves more air than any electric fan could without being ridiculously loud. I should get a sound clip of my 2700 CFM one, its like people start looking up when I hit it. Its loud but necessary. I would forget the whole thing personally - you will need a thermoswitch or manual switch, mounting, shrouding, probably a slightly cooler thermostat...

My Cars
    99 FRC
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    It is a headache - you have to mount it and shroud it. The factory mechanical fan more than likely moves more air than any electric fan could without being ridiculously loud. I should get a sound clip of my 2700 CFM one, its like people start looking up when I hit it. Its loud but necessary. I would forget the whole thing personally - you will need a thermoswitch or manual switch, mounting, shrouding, probably a slightly cooler thermostat...

I disagree.......

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1183538
    no more bmw

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Black Sapphire's Zionsville install:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=774698

A little write-up done by 6shot with his 525i:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1129106
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-01-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456