Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Convertible Top, where to buy?

My Cars
    Z3 DASC
    There seems to be not real info on aftermarket tops, and based on a few post where there are some comments about the top being not of the proper size and that have to be streched about 2 inches to fit, and the post above about the window sew being comming out of the top:

Then, OEM it is

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by zmRoadster View Post
    There seems to be not real info on aftermarket tops, and based on a few post where there are some comments about the top being not of the proper size and that have to be streched about 2 inches to fit, and the post above about the window sew being comming out of the top:

Then, OEM it is
    Have you priced out what an OEM top will cost, yet? It's painful, I do believe.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by zeromagnus View Post
    Have you priced out what an OEM top will cost, yet? It's painful, I do believe.

i spent around $500 bucks for the top and installation (i got a hell of a deal on the install)

it looks just as good, if not better (because of the dark tinted plastic window) as the oem top, with the cost of the OEM top plus intallation i could get 3 or 4 aftermarket tops installed, and i have the kick ass tinted plastic window!

did i mention i have a tinted plastic window?

My Cars
    Z3 DASC
    Yes, i know the prices of the OEM (about 1,100) and aftermarket tops

The issue is that here there are no shops that can install it (my car is the only Z3 in the region, and in the whole country there are only two Z3s), then i have to install it, that is why the options are OEM (process is documented on TIS) or from ConvertibleTopGuys (comes with installation instructions)

Im concerned with the above post about the window sew being out of the aftermarket fabric top after some time, in this situation i would have to pay for the shipping (internationally) for the warranty and pay any additional costs, and that can easily be more than OEM costs

(and considereing that in all of the posts about the "convertible top guys" product, none of them have purchased it or commented about its quality, and when i sent them a picture of a beige top and asked if they have this color in stock, they replied with "yes, we have that black top")

Note: Locally the dealer asks 3,000 for the top (without installation)

I dont have too much free time to work on upholstery, all of the free time goes to the current project, adding a new computer module to the car to control it with a Blackberry smartphone, to start it remotely, open doors locks, control windows and to fully automate the power top, fully open and close automatically (you walk to your car and from the distance you start to open the convertible top), all this is interfaced with a micro OLED (a color LCD like, but visible at any angle and at any light condition) display of the size of a stamp that is inserted in the cluster (in the rpm area) that show information about the engine and the manual gearbox

My Cars
    '02 Ford F250 CC 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by zmRoadster View Post
    Yes, i know the prices of the OEM (about 1,100) and aftermarket tops

The issue is that here there are no shops that can install it (my car is the only Z3 in the region, and in the whole country there are only two Z3s), then i have to install it, that is why the options are OEM (process is documented on TIS) or from ConvertibleTopGuys (comes with installation instructions)

Im concerned with the above post about the window sew being out of the aftermarket fabric top after some time, in this situation i would have to pay for the shipping (internationally) for the warranty and pay any additional costs, and that can easily be more than OEM costs

(and considereing that in all of the posts about the "convertible top guys" product, none of them have purchased it or commented about its quality, and when i sent them a picture of a beige top and asked if they have this color in stock, they replied with "yes, we have that black top")

Note: Locally the dealer asks 3,000 for the top (without installation)

I dont have too much free time to work on upholstery, all of the free time goes to the current project, adding a new computer module to the car to control it with a Blackberry smartphone, to start it remotely, open doors locks, control windows and to fully automate the power top, fully open and close automatically (you walk to your car and from the distance you start to open the convertible top), all this is interfaced with a micro OLED (a color LCD like, but visible at any angle and at any light condition) display of the size of a stamp that is inserted in the cluster (in the rpm area) that show information about the engine and the manual gearbox
    If you are referring to my comments about the stitching coming undone on my top, let me clarify why I felt the need to buy aftermarket vs OEM.

The original OEM tops stitching was coming undone on the rear window as well. Even if it hadn't and I wanted only to replace the rear window, the zipper was damaged (previous owner) and the window couldn't have been replaced anyways. Try www.topsonline.com that is were I bought mine and I've been happy with the product, warranty and customer service. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, there is no reason why you can't install the top yourself, you just need patience. Good luck!
    On horsepower: It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 2.8 SC, '16 X5.0
    A few years ago I purchased a top from Cabrioworld on line.
    I like it and the fit is good.
    Though I rarely drive in the rain.
    The tan was a shade lighter than OEM.
    Ask for a sample before purchasing if not going OEM.
    I have to say, looking back I would go with an OEM top today, mostly for color.
    I do prefer my hardtop in the summer here in Fla. & sometimes in the winter

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    I purchased a topsonline top as well, check my "finally doing it thread" i installed mine in about 8 hours labor time... but i was being slow and trying to be meticulous.

i think you can handle it..... print Vinci's top replacement DIY, it applied to almost every step of the topsonline install.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 Z3
    I need a new top BADLY!! When looking at the rear window it is completely ripped from the stitching on the left side, and someone took a swipe down the middle and made a nice slit in the plastic.. To say the least, the top is beat up and I NEED a new one, especially in this Florida rain. Luckily I have a car cover...

Anyway, I want a black top, which one from topsonline would be the best (and easiest) to fit on there. I'm not the slightest bit mechanically inclined, but I do have a lot of neighbors around me who just constantly work on cars.

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    Lefty1881,
    I just went through this top buying process as well and here are my words of wisdom. I looked around at shops to have mine done because I was worried about the fitment and the fact that I hadn't done it before and didn't really want to screw it up. I found a top place that said not to buy any of the ones online, but let them order one from their manufacturer because if there was any problems with fitment then they could just send it back and get them to fix it. We let them work on my car and the top came out amazing. I just liked the assurance that they could make my after market top fit exactly right, and it does.

Obviously the topsonline guys know how it fits, but it's just like a new pair of jeans they may be labeled as the same size but fit differently.

my .02, good luck. oh and the sonnendeck is the "oem" material

My Cars
    BMW 2000 Z3
    Thanks, I just went to a shop and all they said was $1500 .. I'm guessing that was for the OEM one. I don't know what shops around here will have tops for less.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty1881 View Post
    Thanks, I just went to a shop and all they said was $1500 .. I'm guessing that was for the OEM one. I don't know what shops around here will have tops for less.
    I doubt it was OE. The top itself would cost that much. Installation should be at least another couple hundred.

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    Yea mine was about 1500 installed for an aftermarket top

My Cars
    228i convertible
    I have just been checking into this here in Los Angeles.

A BMW replacement top installed by the dealer is $2,600 ($1,500 for the top & $1,100 labor.)

A Robbins top installed by a competent shop is $800. ($400 for the top & $400 labor.)

The BMW top has a zip in window, the Robbins top does not. To replace the window will be around $400 in either case.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 Z3
    My new black top is on!!! And it looks sick!!! Way better than the old tan one! Got it from Topsonline. Installed by a friend's company, still cost about $600 altogether , but looks awesome!

Should be able to see pics in this album
    facebook.com/album.php?aid=13362&l=a7f0b&id=1214050187

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 1.9
    HOw much does it cost to replace a OEM convertible top?

My Cars
    1998 bmw z3 1.9l
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but, Those of you who bought topsonline tops, did you buy anything else for the install?

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    Once agani.. back from the dead..

Did ANY of you ever install an aftermarket top yourself?

I plan to do mine, but the instructions say to staple the new top to the sealing frame. I "think" the oem was Butyl taped to the frame...(?)

Installation looks pretty straight forward... easy actually. Juse a lot of steps. The aftermarket instructions also keeps the frame intact, no need to remove it. Also, to remove the old top, it says to cut it out. Makes sense to me... but anyone actually do it?

My Cars
    2001 Z3M Roadster
    Has anyone investigated the prestige auto tops for BMW? I replaced an MGB top with a convas top from Prestige and it was pretty good workmanship.

Z3M Kville

http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/usa/...s/bmw_tops.htm

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemamaman View Post
    Once agani.. back from the dead..

Did ANY of you ever install an aftermarket top yourself?

I plan to do mine, but the instructions say to staple the new top to the sealing frame. I "think" the oem was Butyl taped to the frame...(?)
    The OEM top has two butyl sealing points. One is between the body & the sealing frame. The other is between the sealing frame & the tack strip.

How would you staple canvas to a metal frame?

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    The OEM top has two butyl sealing points. One is between the body & the sealing frame. The other is between the sealing frame & the tack strip.

How would you staple canvas to a metal frame?
    It's not all metal. A recessed channel in the frame contains a very dense plastic or nylon that you staple to.
    "Dezmar, your hood has an airfoil. The scoop is raised and it forms an airplanes airfoil. This knocks out the top atoms and allows the bottom atoms to Lift!! You will loose your hood on the highway and hit another car, causing it to crash and someone will Die! (I took it off)"

My Cars
    99 M Roadster/07 M Coupe

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by jbarton750 View Post
    Boooo! Stick with the tan top...it makes your red really pop and yoru car a little more unqiue.
    I agree the tan top looks fantastic with the tan top however my first Z3 had the tan top and it always looked dirty now matter how much effort I put into cleaning it...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    A red top might be sharp too. Those are very uncommon to see.
    My top is due for replacement and I'm seriously considering switching from the OEM black top to an OEM red top. I think it will look awesome however I'm concerned about the red top collecting dirt...

Last edited by HEMIkiller; 09-20-2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1981 Fiat Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelACA View Post
    Ok, so im gonna be replacing the top on my roadster, where should i buy it and what kind should i get?

definitely dont want vinyl, i know that much, i found a place online that seem to have good stuff

these guys sell sonnendeck and stayfast canvas tops from either EZ ON Brand or Robbins brand
    http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?...&CarmodelID=39

i know someone one here bought a top from them, cant remember who though...

these guys sell different tops too
    http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cg...at.cgi?cat=223

any place or brand you guys recommend

I would not recommend buying a top from
    http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=223
    or M & T Manufacturing Co. I purchased a new convertible top and some accessories for my car from them online. The accessories were shipped in a timely mannor. However, a month later the actual top had still not arrived. So I emailed Kevin Hartman, the General Manager, and 2 weeks later I have still not received a response. I called their support land line... again no answer. I called their order line... no answer.
    It's now been over a month and still not top...

I would look for another company if I was you.

My Cars
    99 M Roadster/07 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 81Fiat View Post
    I would not recommend buying a top from
    http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=223
    or M & T Manufacturing Co. I purchased a new convertible top and some accessories for my car from them online. The accessories were shipped in a timely mannor. However, a month later the actual top had still not arrived. So I emailed Kevin Hartman, the General Manager, and 2 weeks later I have still not received a response. I called their support land line... again no answer. I called their order line... no answer.
    It's now been over a month and still not top...

I would look for another company if I was you.
    Thanks for the advice and WOW that's an old thread you dug up. I've decided to go with an OEM top when I get around to changing out the top...

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Just my $0.02 but I went with a GAHH Sonnendeck top and had a local outfit (Lim's in Tysons's Corner) do the install for $1K out the door. After reading about various forum members having leaking issues, I thought it best to leave this job to a pro. I had previously committed to staying OEM but with the price differential, the option of window replacement seemed pretty negligible.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    99 M Roadster/07 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Just my $0.02 but I went with a GAHH Sonnendeck top and had a local outfit (Lim's in Tysons's Corner) do the install for $1K out the door. After reading about various forum members having leaking issues, I thought it best to leave this job to a pro. I had previously committed to staying OEM but with the price differential, the option of window replacement seemed pretty negligible.
    Thanks Kelvin for your 2 cents I appreciate your advice. Since my Roadster and I are in a committed relationship I've decided the OEM top is worth the price. Also Lims has an excellent reputation for doing convertible top installs; I'm going to check them out...

Cheers,

Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast