Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E9x: Most miles? Major/Minor problems? (Share your experience)

My Cars
    06 330i & 89 325i
    2006 330i

clutch just died, DTML pump went out at 65k.

My Cars
    07 328i wagon
    CPO purchased 7/10/10 2007 328i wagon. 33k miles. Evening of 7/10/10 door lock fuse blew at midnight (Saturday night (my anniversary) no open dealer on Sunday).... Turns out to be a fairly common problem. Recommended fix is to use 20 amp fuse instead of 15 amp. 2 weeks later, right rear wheel bearing replaced (indicated by whining noise coming from rear 270 miles after purchasing)....apparantly certifying mechanics either did not drive the car or are deaf. Sunday 8/15/10 warning indicator comes on for oil down one quart (now about 750 miles after purchasing)....dealer tells me it's VERY COMMON that 328i uses oil. "We're topping off the oil in our cars every day". Terrible gas mileage: less than 16 in city and between 16.6 and 19 on highway.....

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i Sedan RW
    For your engine tickling noise at cold start, try a new serpent belt. This is the one that raps around the alternator. My 09 Honda CRV had such noise, especially when it was in drive or reverse, couldnt figure it out, the noticed that my belt had dried up. Replaced belt and noise went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by xumba View Post
    2006, 325i
    Major -
    1. Engine ticking sound on cold start:
    First, dealer said normal. Another dealer replaced oil lifter. Two month later, ticking sound came back. Just got the car back today from dealer with replaced cylinder head.
    2. Rough idle:
    when stop at red light, during RPM running down, it hesitates at around 700, then slowly down to 6.50. meantime starts vibrating. Very predictable. So every time when I stop, I will be expecting the vibration starts, and it does come every time. Passenger can feel the vibration clearly. Dealer checked without fault found. All spark plugs replaced, software updated. Not much improvement. Other dealers did side by side compression. Some have it, some don't.
    3. RFT noisy like in hell . Some people think it is minor since it does not affect driving. I think it is major because it is very bothering and embarrassing.

Minor -
    My dealer service advisor found center door lock stop working. Fixed yesterday.

BTW. I found this tread helpful and interesting to read. Thanks.

My Cars
    07 335i
    Build Month/Year: 12/2006
    Type: E90 Sport
    Model: 335i
    Miles: 40,000 miles
    Major problem(s): None
    Minor problem(s): DMTL Pump, Stereo issue, no oil cooler, pinched exhaust hose, cracking sound when shifting, tweeting brakes, partridge in a pare tree.
    Modifications: None

1.) DMTL pump produced a SEL and was fixed quickly by dealer.
    2.) Rear speakers would stop working over bumps. Problem was corrected by a stereo firmware update. Who knew?
    3.) The car has no oil cooler. I have not encountered limp mode yet but 3/4th temp reading is scary. Still working to have BMW install one.
    4.) Shifting gears in a parking garage produces a cracking sound like driving over an empty water bottle. An exhaust hose was found pinched and fixing that solved the problem for a month. The noise is back now and I have yet to take it in.
    5.) My brakes would hiss while in reverse. Going forward the brakes would make a tweeting sound between 10-15 mph. Rear brakes/pads were replaced by dealer. This has fixed the problem. However, after liberally applying the parking brake while the car is under power, this problem comes back. So, I advise everyone if they are going to have fun with the parking brake such as a BMW CCA Foundation "Street Survival" "learn to drive your car" event, get used to tweeting brake noises.

I am awaiting the newly recalled HPFP. I do not want the "firmware update" BMW is "trying" to fix the problem with. I will wait until they offer me the correct replacement pump.

This car has been the funnest car I have ever owned. It's a dream car of mine. However, this car has also been the most repaired car of all time. Granted the repairs are pissant nothing problems... what happens at 100k miles and extended warranty is gone? When are the turbos going to fail, etc.?

Brent
    Last edited by brentseay; 11-02-2010 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    E12 M535, 528
    I cant read this thread yall scaring me, have a 07 328 and no issues at all at 55k miles (Knock on wood) gas milage is bit up in down at times other than that runs great. However any issues I should be watching for??? maybe some preventive maintance.

My Cars
    e30 318i e92 328i
    Build Month/Year: 09/07 '08'
    Purchased: 10/10
    Type: E92
    Model: 328i Prem
    Miles: 26,XXX miles
    Minor problem(s): Belts squeak(think it might be the rollers for the belt) at low speeds. 6speed MT makes a clicking noise when I take off in 1st and reverse. (taking it to dealer soon) Radio stopped working the other day. Turned off car, back on and no radio again. Let it sit for 20min and radio was fine. If it happens again its going to the dealer.

Modifications: None planned.

This car is replacing my E30 as my daily driver to work, Im hoping it lives up to my current E30 and previous E46. Car drives like a champ. I have the stock Potenza tires, and have no problem with road noise. I cant wait to se what the ride will be like with better tires when i need them.
    Last edited by numark; 11-17-2010 at 01:42 AM.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Build Month/Year: 10/05 '06'
    Purchased: 02/10
    Type: E90
    Model: 325i Prem
    Miles: 87,254 miles
    Major problem(s): Cooling system replacement due to leaking Oil Filter Housing Gasket ( Water Pump, Thermo, all at 62k miles
    Minor problem(s): The ever apparent Ignition coil failure...2 so far, always have a spare one on hand , random rear power window switch problem.

Modifications: K&N, 3in exhaust with muffler delete, 18in Moda MD11's

Love this car, I jump back and forth about selling it because I do drive so much (30k a year), But I love BMW's and this is exactly optioned how I wanted it. Guess its time to pick up a daily driver!
    2006 325i Schwarz over Terra Leather....Navigation!

My Cars
    E12 M535, 528
    There is a simlar thread in the E34 section and thought I would start it here...

Year/Make/Miles or KM/Trans
    Any major issues
    Mods/ future mods
    Overall feeling for the car

-2007 E90 328/60k Miles/MT

-Water pump replaced @ 20k by previous owner

-18" Beyern Mesh,BMS PowerBox, aFe CAI, Exhaust and Projector 90 Headlights Going to be buying a set of coilovers in the near future then I am done, maybe

-Love the car however it loves to eat up control arms, the roads here are pretty rough and I find myself always needing a alignment or suspension work done. Getting my third alignment on Monday and have had the car a year.

Overall I feel this could help alot of newcomers out wanting to know general questions such as Mods and reliablity about a car they are either just getting into or thinking about. Also gives member a better feel of who is driving what
    Last edited by jtk86; 04-14-2011 at 06:30 PM.

"The greatest gifts in life are the ones we cause ourselves"

My Cars
    08 BMW 328xi Sedan AT
    2008 328xi sedan, AT, 42,800 miles

-Creeking noise coming from the front end when going over a decent sized bump. Dealer lubed up the bushings on front sway bar and problem solved.

-Only plan on doing minor cosmetic mods; white AE's, yellow or hid fogs, maybe tint, and possibly programming to make AE work as DRL if I can get it cheap.

While the car has treated me well so far (owned for 3 months) and I LOVE how the car handles, I don't like how the transmission operates or the comfort of the non-sport seats; these things have brought me to the point where I've already started looking at replacing the car. I don't hate the car but I don't love it either. If you're in the market for one of these, do ample test drives to make sure you're ok with it before signing papers.

My Cars
    07 328 xi

What's going on with your E9X

2007 e90 328 xi /30k mi / AT (Sparkling Graphite)

Nothing major ...standard lifter issue (sound), drive higher rpms in DS mode, no more ticking.

All cosmetic mods - 17" BMW wheels , smoked tail lights and side markers, black kidney grill, painting original 16" BMW wheels gunmetal for Winter.

My previous car was an Acura TSX so I love this car. I Drive in DS mode the majority of time, but I am not going to mod the car for performance. My next car will be an M3 once I am done paying for my daughter's tuition.

My Cars
    08 328i 04 X5 91 325ic
    2008 328i sport e90 AT 40100 miles

The only issue I have is dim pixels on the display of my radio

The only mod I have done is installing a set of 17" Beyern Mesh wheels

I am thinking of doing the AA tune and BMW PE exhaust

Been good to me over the last 6 weeks I have owned her.

'08 E90 328i Sport '04 E53 3.0 '91 E30 325ic M-Technic

My Cars
    '12 535i
    -2010 335i Coupe Sport, Manual Transmission, 6,700 miles

-Three High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacements, One exterior trim replacement, Two software upgrades

-18%/35% window tint, carbon fiber badges; Future= Coilovers, Tires/Wheels, Possible Dinan Stage X package

-Even though it can be a headache on somedays, the power, handling, class, and technology more than make up for it. It's a fantastic car, and I absolutely love it as a Daily and a high performance vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrican5547 View Post
    I would def. put her eyes in a jar on a shelf in my room.

My Cars
    E90 sedan
    2007/E90/46.6k mi/AT

CCC disc drive failure/Fuel pump failure

In the near future tint and some other cosmetic mods that I have not yet decided.

So far so good, a pleasure to drive even with squeaky brakes, suspensions and more random chassis squeaks. I also enjoy the 3 mirror auto-dimming (my previous car had only interior).

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    2007 E90, 42.5K miles, Automatic

No issues to date -- though noticed brakes squeak a bit.

No mods, have considered angel eyes, though don't know if my car has them/can have them. Also considered black kidneys for color scheme (exterior is graphite, trim black, interior black).

Love the car, first BMW and first car I've owned that wasn't made in 1995.

My Cars
    E12 M535, 528
    Quote Originally Posted by go2ndmile
    2007 E90, 42.5K miles, Automatic

No issues to date -- though noticed brakes squeak a bit.

No mods, have considered angel eyes, though don't know if my car has them/can have them. Also considered black kidneys for color scheme (exterior is graphite, trim black, interior black).

Love the car, first BMW and first car I've owned that wasn't made in 1995.
    The projector 90s will give you angel eyes easy install but the wiring drove me crazy.

"The greatest gifts in life are the ones we cause ourselves"

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan
    2006 e90 325i Steptronic Trans 68k miles- Artic Metallic

Problems - Rear brakes squeel during slow braking under 10mph

Dealer relations - Have been the best I've ever experienced, I work for a Toyota dealer in town so the BMW dealer gives me list price on parts + $30 off hourly labor rates.

Mods - CAI on the way, in search of a 3-stage intake manifold to do the swap, AA tune to complete the swap, looking into a performance exhaust but having troubles deciding which one to go with.

I spend 99% of my time in manual mode, if I behave I'm able to achieve 38mpg on the interstate and 25mpg in town.... Huge upgrade from the 9mpg I got with my previous SUV.

My Cars
    2008 335xi Coupe
    Stats - 08 e92 335xi 6MT with 51k miles

Issues - No major issues. HPFP and 2 injectors replace under recall, but the car didn't have any symptoms.

Current Mods - UUC Corsa exhaust, Aero lip, WeissLicht AE's, ZHP knob, ///M Power pedals, painted reflectors

Future Mods - COBB AP, VMR wheels, AWE BOV's, BMS DCI, CDV all on order and waiting for delivery

Very pleased with the car overall. I can't wait to get some go-fast parts on her and see how she drives!
    2008 335xi Coupe - Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|iDrive|COBB AP||UUC Corsa exhaust| AWE twin BOV’s|BMS DCI|Helix CDV|19" VMR VB3’s|Aero lip |M3 spoiler|WeissLicht AE’s|ZHP knob|///M pedals|painted reflectors

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe
    2007/328i/66500 Automatic Trans

No major issues, just minor annoyances. Examples: I get periodic error code lights that come on and I have no idea why. They'll come on randomly and disappear the same way. I've had them come on for suspension failure, adaptive headlight failure, and exterior lighting failure lol. It's crazy because everything is fine.

As far as mods go, I haven't got to that yet, but I want to get some performance things done like a new intake and whatnot. I also want to get vertical doors on it (don't know if that would be practical or not, but I imagine it would look badass.)

Overall, I am loving this car. It is awesome aside from it being too "sensor" happy lol.

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Runs perfect - never had an issue, but then again, it only has 13,000 miles...
    Houdini

My Cars
    '07 328i coupe de grace
    Build Month/Year: 10/2006
    Type: E92
    Model: 328i
    Miles: 14,200 miles
    Minor problem(s): Passenger-side power mirror will not fold out properly. Estimatred repair cost $500-600.
    Modifications: None
    Houdini

My Cars
    08 550i, 03 M5
    Model: 330i
    Build Month/Year: 5/2006
    Purchased Miles: 60k
    Current Miles: 105k
    Minor problem(s): DTML pump @ 75k, Driver side door solenoid @ 80k, Driver side Angel Eye @ 90k, Driver side wheel bearing @ 90k
    Last edited by bigturk; 09-03-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: update

My Cars
    '22 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartz89 View Post
    2007/328i/66500 Automatic Trans

No major issues, just minor annoyances. Examples: I get periodic error code lights that come on and I have no idea why. They'll come on randomly and disappear the same way. I've had them come on for suspension failure, adaptive headlight failure, and exterior lighting failure lol. It's crazy because everything is fine.

As far as mods go, I haven't got to that yet, but I want to get some performance things done like a new intake and whatnot. I also want to get vertical doors on it (don't know if that would be practical or not, but I imagine it would look badass.)

Overall, I am loving this car. It is awesome aside from it being too "sensor" happy lol.
    Don't touch the doors. That would look awful.

I'm in the market for a e92 328i, I can float the 335i but I feel like that's more maintenance and definitely a higher bill when it hits 100k+.

Thoughts from those that have owned both? Seems like a lot of computer related issues with these cars. I want idrive but if it's going to freeze and frustrate me then forget it. Even the pixels on the radio are dim? What the hell? I thought the end of this was on the e39? Pretty disappointed in the e9x from reading this. My e46 and e36 have been bulletproof with almost no issues besides wear and tear iteams.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    Build Month/Year: 12/2006
    Model: 335i
    Miles: 80,000 miles
    Major problem(s): #1 injector replaced at 75k
    Minor problem(s): Leak in the transmission at the shift link.
    Modifications: Removed gold lettering the previous owner put on.

My Cars
    2008 550i
    2007 335 Sedan
    61,000 miles
    at 46,000 dealer replaced driver's door mirror
    at 59,000 replaced thermostat

My Cars
    E36 M3/E36 Vert/ E90 N52
    Build Month/Year: 07/2005
    Model: 330i
    Miles: 46,000 miles