Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E9x: Most miles? Major/Minor problems? (Share your experience)

My Cars
    2020 BMW X1
    328xit (E91). New Oct 06.
    53,000 miles

-- sunroof seal bad, causing wind noise (dealer replaced)
    -- rear window wiper starting to fail now (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

Apart from dings, chip in the windshield, one run-flat replacement, and a new set of tires (at about 40,000) that's it.

It's been the most trouble-free car I've ever had and it's been nearly 50 years since I bought my first car.
    2007 328 xit
    My other BMW was a 1967 1800TI

My Cars
    bmw 320d e90,kawasaki zr-7s
    102.000kms.
    i broke the dumper, only it. 320D 163cv

My Cars
    2006 325i Black, beige interior
    Build Month/Year: 05/2005
    Type: E90
    Model: 325i Prem
    Miles: 26,XXX miles
    Major problem(s): None
    Minor problem(s):
    Tires: The tires got them replaced twice ones when it was at 14,000 and the dealer replaced them for free, and again at 19,000 all this because of the noise and vibrations from tires....as soon as these run flats are done i'm doing to go with the regular tires.
    Steering wheel: Noise in the steering wheel when making turns.
    Window regulator went bad: The regulator went bad and it was fixed under warranty.
    Brake pads noise: there was a lot of noise and vibrations when applying brakes and the dealer replaced the front ones and said it is good to go and suggested me to replace the back ones for 500$ and i told them i will wait and see if the problem is fixed and it still persisted and after they took for a test drive they replaced it for free.
    Modifications: when the warranty runs out.
    on the whole i had to make a lot of trips to get all the issues fixed iteratively but on the positive note i came to know most of the people at the delaer ship, one thing i'm considering is getting the extended warranty (dealer said it is going to be around 3500$, any suggestions from the experts if it is worth to get the extended warranty), any suggestions in this matter would be really appriatiated.

My Cars
    2007 328i Sedan

13,800 trouble free miles so far

Month/Year of Purchase: 02/2007
    Model: 328i Prem
    Miles: 13,800 miles
    Mileage: Consistently get 30-32 mpg on highway at 77 indicated with air conditioning on; city mileage only 14-18 because I make short trips frequently.
    Minor problem(s): Small pock marks in windshield.
    Tires: Dumped the RFTs and mounted TOYO UHP conventional radials at 4k miles; best move I ever made! Smooth and quiet ride, tires are wearing nicely with plenty of tread left so far.

Only recently I am getting a radiator level warning when I start the engine first time cold; If I stop the engine and restart it the warning does not appear again. If it continues after the second start I will drop by my dealer for a check.
    Last edited by UFOGUY; 10-14-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added mileage data

2007 328i sedan, white/gray, auto, premium package, sport package, xenon headlights, chrome exhaust tips, Toyo Proxes 4 UHP all-season radials.

My Cars
    See sig. & avatar
    2006 330i currently at 28500 miles.
    Central locking has failed twice, once at around 10k, second time at around 25k.
    Steering column replaced at around 20k after 4 attempts by the dealership to diagnose problem. Steering wheel trim damaged by dealership during the process.
    New tires - two rims damaged by dealership during the process.
    ECU reprogrammed at about 1500 miles due to total electronic meltdown.
    Horrible squealing noise from right rear of car which dealership finds impossible to diagnose.
    Steering column gasket replaced after three attempts by dealership to diagnose excessive engine noise.
    I hate this car and cannot wait for my lease to end in 11 months time. The worst experience I have ever had with a new car. Nothing will ever persuade me to get another new BMW.

Update (March 2009): I wrote this at a time when the car was constantly giving me problems, I was at the dealership every 2 or 3 days, and I was in a pretty bad mood. I have just traded it, with 33,000 miles on it, and I have to say it gave me no further problems for the last 3,000 miles except for the squealing noise, which the dealer never could diagnose. I still maintain that I had more problems with this car than any other, but I changed my opinion about never getting another BMW, as I traded it for a 335i. So far, so good with that one, although it's early days. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Last edited by 2bms; 03-14-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Update

My Cars
    X5 335 328
    28,000 miles - 2007 335i coupe delivered November 2006
    (still have X5 (wife's car), 80,000 miles problem free - just purchased 2008 328i sedan for daughter)
    oil chg 2000 miles - my nickel
    oil chg 7500 miles - my nickel
    dealer added oil cooler, no charge.
    computer controlled limp mode twice- software reinstalled twice,
    then injector failed - limp mode again so may have been problem not fixed by reinstallation of software twice earlier - injector replaced with no recurring problem, no charge
    factory oil change at 15000 miles
    main computer failed, idrive, phone, radio, ipod and navigation all dead - computer replaced with no recurring problem, no charge
    changed oil at 22,000 - my nickel
    replaced runflat tires with Michlein Pilot Sports at 25,000 miles - my nickel....very worth it...much smoother and quieter.
    appointment for oil change in two weeks at approx 30,000 miles.
    windshield washer clogged, dash warning coolant was a pint low, and a false warning on right rear brake light failure may be a common problem with this body style per dealer and will be repaired during oil change appointment.

I love this car. I few early glitches fixed quickly and completely by dealer.
    Last edited by mikey; 12-02-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    1989 e34 525 with Dinan chips... traded in at 170,000 miles for 1994 e32 740i with Dinan badge, ...traded in at 190,000 miles for black 2007 e92 335i

My Cars
    2004 525i
    2006 325i 70k miles. valvetronic sensor and motor died

My Cars
    BMW 335i e92
    2007 335i ... bought in february of 07
    30000 miles ... rear light bulb ... cupholder ... and dats it
    ive tracked it twice, autocrossing once, drag strip twice
    cant believe how reliable it is XP

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Build Month/Year: dunno too lazy to go check and im at work.
    Model: 330i
    Miles: 23,000 miles
    Major problem(s):
    1. Engine metallic ticking. Dealer first changed the oil, problem still there.....then opened the engine and swapped the lifters, problem still there...., then finally i waited and they swapped the cylinder head which finally fixed the problem. Cracked open the engine twice for this one.
    2. Water in the passenger side headlight, reported it to dealer and showed them the water/condensation that covered most of the interior of the headlights. Told was normal and should go away and sent home. A week later the adaptive headlights stopped working with an error. Probably due to the water in the circuit! Stupid dealer.
    3. Ignition steering wheel lock, kept getting stuck when you first insert the key. The release of the steering wheel would get stuck and alert light comes on. First dealer tried to lubricate it but kept still happening. Had to go back and they finally replaced the steering wheel lock.
    4. Airbag alert light keeps going off. Happened MANY times before they swapped out the passenger side seat sensor/pad/or seat.. i cant remember. I think i was at the dealer 3x for this one. Almost called it a lemon.
    Tires: Stock sports package staggered 18"s Bridgestone RE050. 3 of them were replaced due to nail/bubble.
    [B]Minor problem(s):
    Modifications: None

I love the car tho a few problems. My E90 is a lease which will be going back. I thought about keeping it but ran into my Porsche which will be taking over
    Last edited by Stylin; 12-22-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i

2008 328i E90

Just got it back from Dealer for service I have 33,000 and bought it used. Ran the history of the car and no problems with it. Did regular service and that was it. Wish I had the upgraded headlights though.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    2006 330i - purchased 5/2008 with 16kmi

5/2008 16kmi - Filter/Oil maintenance light on, dealer did service
    10/2008 23kmi - Oil gauge shows 1/2qt missing. I changed oil myself, good time at 7500mi regardless.
    2/2009 25kmi - Experiencing rubbing sounds on road dips, and clunking on very sharp big bumps front right suspension area. Dealer replaced sway bar bushings; problem fixed.
    Last edited by bluskye; 02-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    08 E90 335i
    At 100 miles noticed the BMW logo on the steering wheel airbag was eroding??? I guess it was not made right and started to decay. BMW installed a whole new airbag for me in 1 hour. All good...however, I told the SA NOT to wash the car. I just detailed/waxed it the day before. Well, they washed it anyway...with the sunroof vented open. We had some issues there. Got a free future detail out of it, not sure I wan't to use it there though. Break in oil change and ZF diffy change at my local Indy @ 1200 miles. The car is a beast. Still have not floored it yet. This weekend I'm on it. Just got a Juicebox 1 but not installed yet. M3 rear trunk spoiler installed as well as the smoked BMW tail lights, which look awesome compared to stock. Other than that, just a K&N.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-08-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Sorry no pics in this thread.

My Cars
    2008 335i

Transmission and start engine

This is what I wrote to my dealer service after getting checkup for transmission problem.
    >>>
    It's been two days after I had my car serviced at your place.
    The car drove out nicely from your service when I picked it up but I am noticing the following issues during the last 2 days:

1. Now every time when I press 'start' to initiate the engine, it takes a while for engine to start as the cranking takes longer for the first attempt. If I shut down the engine immediately after that and re-start the engine, it then cranks quickly as it should.. This happens every time I start the engine and even my co-workers noticed it and asked me why my car starts like an old car. This happens all the time at first attempt after a long park.

2. Today (5/18) around 5:10pm, when I was driving north on San Gabriel Blvd, around Duarte Road, the car transmission suddenly seems like it's stuck in 3rd or 4th gear (again for the second time in a week) and it would not shift. I could not accelerate the car. When I stopped at the red light, I could hear the transmission turning loud, grinding, like it's in different gear and the car VIBRATES. When the lights turned green, the car drove in 3rd or 4th gear and it moved slow. So I turned into a small side street and I shut down the engine. I restarted the car after about 30 seconds and started driving back home and the car drove fine. This is what's scaring me because the first time it happened on Freeway and now my wife is afraid to drive the car even.

Oh I have 27K on my odometer..
    Last edited by imageplayer; 05-18-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 M3, E90 330i

67k miles 2006 330i

67k miles 2006 330i
    THE GOOD:
    best looking, best driving SEDAN i have ever had or sat in.

THE BAD:
    -door lock fuse and door lock issues

-driver door lock doesn't lock, or unlock sometimes with the keyless. have to use manual key or double pull on the inside door handle
    estimated cost at dealership: $400

-battery

-radio display faulty- bad pixels when hot, some columns are faded, when it cools down with the a/c it becomes easier to see, but still difficult.
    estimated cost at dealership: $450

-interior falling apart like most BMW's, rubber coating on plastic pieces is pealing off

-center armrest compartment latch sticks

********UPDATE******
    car was sold in 2013, at ~95k miles...

-back seat leather seam opened up near the top, didn't hold up to FL sun
    estimated cost at dealership: $1200

-ignition coils went bad, two broke at separate times, ended up swapping all 6. new part number appears to be updated
    estimated cost at dealership: $800

-belt tensioner pulley replaced (making noise)
    estimated cost at dealership: $200

- both back windows went bad within two months of each other. ordered clips on ebay and rebuilt myself
    estimated cost at dealership: $600

- front fwd control arm bushings shot at the frame mount. ordered aftermarket, updated part number

- steering wheel rubberized coating came off to reveal white plastic underneath. stripped and painted black
    estimated cost at dealership: $150

- passenger door lock replacement

- a/c refigerant SLOW leak, recharged and seems OK now
    estimated cost at dealership: $800 minimum, to find leak and fix. if compressor or other major component WAAAAAAAAAY EXPENSIVE

- windshield upper rubber trim piece fell apart
    estimated cost at dealership: $150

- other issues / complaints:
    back deck upholstery is faded
    no spare tire really sucks

NEEDLESS TO SAY... WARNING: like most other *newer* BMWs, this car is expensive to maintain if it is out of warranty!
    Last edited by foca1; 10-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    2007 328i Wagon

328i Problems - All Warranty Covered

Just traded my '07 328i Coupe (premium/sport pkgs) in for a new 335i loaded same way, except nav. My 328 had similar problems as listed in other posts. Traded it in with only 20,500 miles on it, mint cond.

1. Loud ticking of valves/lifters(?) at start, especially in cold temps. I know the oil needs time to warm and get around the engine, but it took a long time for this to cease after driving. Never took it in to dealership as I figured this was normal. As a lease, I figured I would never own it long enough for it to be my problem in the long-term.

2. Steering column warning light came on. Dealer had to replace entire steering column! Saw one other person that had this problem. The electronic locking device in the column failed. No other way to fix but replace.

3. Seat belt assist gadget. Yeah it is convenient but it's not reliable. I had to take my car in twice for failure. They told me I activated the safety control that is triggered if something is caught in the mechanism. Doubt it... They'd be better off killing this feature.

4. The stereo (premium model) died on my after about a month of owning the car. No explanation from dealer, just replaced.

With all that said, I still loved the car. Drove like a champ and has forever spoiled me. I will always want to drive a BMW. Nothing feels quite like it, solid and smooth.

Hoping I have fewer, or no warranty issues with my 335i. Can't wait to pass the break-in miles and fully enjoy the turbos!

My Cars
    07 335i Sedan

335i Brake Squeal Issue when accelerating

Month/Year of Purchase: 05/2007
    Model: 335i
    Miles: 18,000 miles
    Major problem(s): Wategates replaced, Squeal when accelerating (1/2 gear)

Has anyone had this issue with a noise when slowly accelerating from a dead stop in 1/2 gear? It is not a consisitent noise and usually happens when making a turn. I've been to the delaership twice. First time they checked the front brakes and concluded I was hearing things. Noise still there. Second time I drove with a technician and we finally both confirmed the squeal from the front passenger side. They tried to diagnose the problem and re-create the noise, and concluded it was the brake pads and replaced both front pads and sensors. One day later the squeal is back. I've seen a few threads with this same issue and was looking for some help. Thanks

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Build Month/Year: 2/2007
    Model: 328i
    Miles: 42,000 miles
    Minor problem(s): As it looks like others have, I had to replace the tires. The bridgestones are horrible, with cupping problems/noise.
    Brakes squeaky/dusty. BMW replaced my rear pads, said my front pads squeaked, but it was normal. I complained, they didn't care. Replaced with some ceramics that are a lot better.
    Shifter plastic coating eroded and the metal was very sharp. Dealer replaced in 1 minute.
    Whistle from drivers side at high speeds depending on the wind conditions. Have not been able to duplicate with dealer. The mileage I put on this car means the warranty will likely run out before I can.
    Some rattles that I haven't been able to nail down. Not bad enough to be worth the hassle of going to the dealer for. One coming from somewhere in the dash on harsh roads. I think a rear one might be from a headrest at certain heights.

My Cars
    2007 335i

07 335i

Build Month/Year: 02/2007
    Delivery Date: certified pre-owned 4/09
    Delivered Miles: 20,000
    Current Miles: 25,000
    Minor problem(s):

I think crazed792 and i might have the same car. I have a rattle passenger head restraint at certain heights and angles, and i have an occassional LOUD rattle on a particular road between portland, or and where i live. comes from the dash on the left side. also, an crazy amount of brake dust from the front passenger side wheel, which is irritating, cause i like having clean rims, but i don't like cleaning them.

overall, i'm very satisfied with my car. drives like a bat out of hell. in fact, just thinking about it, i'm going to go our for a drive.

My Cars
    2009 Crimson 335i
    Build Month/Year: 02/09
    Miles: 7,200 miles
    Major problem(s): LP and HPFuel pumps replaced at 6,000 miles. Got the car back one day and had to take it back in. Fuel tank, DMTL pump and charcoal filter then replaced along with everything else associated with the fuel system. Total time in shop - 24 days.
    Minor problem(s): none
    Modifications: none

My Cars
    2008 E92 M3 DCT
    Build Month/Year: 2006
    Model: 330xi
    Miles: 51,000 miles
    Minor problem(s): Just consumables so far. Second 330xi for me (had an 01 E46 as well) and experience has been similar. Havent had any issues with internal fit and finish either (never had that on either my 3s or the 545 I had). Comparing the 01 and the 06 from my experience, the build quality seems about the same with the 06 maybe being a little tighter overall, and a little brisker, but with a harsher ride (due to runflats mainly, most likely)

My Cars
    2006 330i
    2006 330i - purchased 5/2008 with 16kmi

5/2008 16kmi - Filter/Oil maintenance light on, dealer did service
    10/2008 23kmi - Oil gauge shows 1/2qt missing. I changed oil myself, good time at 7500mi regardless.
    2/2009 25kmi - Experiencing rubbing sounds on road dips, and clunking on very sharp big bumps front right suspension area. Dealer replaced sway bar bushings; problem fixed.
    5/2009 28kmi - Rubber trim at base of rear windshield came loose. Dealer says its common due to eco-friendly glue they use in EU. Hopefully they used real glue when they replaced the rubber trim.

My Cars
    06 330XI
    Month/Year of Purchase: 2006 purchased in 2009 as a CPO
    Model: 330xi premium & sport pkg
    Miles: 52,000 miles
    Mileage: get 30-32 mpg on highway, good in city
    Minor problem(s): Passenger mirror rotates around, has a mind of it's own whenever the doors are unlocked, trunk is opening/closed, VERY annoying.
    Rattle from rear seat, on right side.
    Whenever the car is in 1st, and i push the clutch in to either gear up, or just place in neutral, the car jerks slightly forward, and there is a sound...not sure what it is..
    Tires: RFTs

My Cars
    09 335i Blk, 90 325i Red

how did i get water in the DMTL pump?

Month/Year of Purchase: November 2008
    Model: 2009 335i coupe w/ sports package
    Miles: 8k miles
    Mileage: averaging bout 19mpg
    Major problem(s): Starting to be an annoying problem (look below)
    Minor problem(s): Leaking DMTL pump (fixed). Went back 2 weeks later. Water in DMTL pump. Replaced and fixed. HOW DO YOU GET WATER IN YOUR PUMP IF IT WAS FIXED PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME??
    Tires: RFTs, got a small hole in the back rear tire, and my front two side walls are worn out (tracking..hehe)
    Last edited by briankim83; 08-13-2009 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    535xi, 911 C4S, 328xi C
    Month/Year of Purchase: December 2006
    Model: 2007 328xi coupe w/ sports, premium, Navi
    Miles: 28k miles
    Mileage: averaging about 18 mpg
    Major problem(s): Nothing of note
    Minor problem(s): (All covered under warranty)

1) Door handles would stick open ...replaced by dealer
    2) Rear speaker distortion ...replaced by dealer
    3) Chrome shift handle discoloured ...replaced by dealer
    4) Six brake bulb outages ...holder replaced by dealer
    5) Two day time light outages ....dealer replaced

My Cars
    335i Cpe, 6MT, sprt, prem, CA, Titanium w/Black

A few major problems but I still love the car.

Month/Year of Purchase: March 2008
    Model: 2007 335i coupe w/ sports, premium
    Miles: 13k miles
    Major problem(s): Loosing power on freeway when I put the pedal to the floor. SF BMW replaced the HPFP and had to replace all fuel injectors, they kept the car for a week to perform work (gave me an X3 as a loaner, which was fun). Starter turns over multiple times - they replaced starter once, and after about 3 months its happening again, car is back in for another week. Also replaced front run flats from excessive wear and one nail in the sidewall.
    Minor problem(s): (All covered under warranty)
    Wiper blades, brake pads and rotors replaced (I live in SF), entire front right headlight assembly is dead., getting repaired now.

Sounds like a lot but the warranty is a great thing here. Dealer said injector replacement alone would have cost $8k. I still love the car. Best blend of performance and luxury I've ever had.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast