Thread: Looking to buy a m3, what to look out for.

My Cars
    m3

Looking to buy a m3, what to look out for.

I thinking of buying a m3 sometime soon. What should i look for good or bad? I know 95 are OBDI 96-98s are OBDII. I don't plan on doing alot of performance mod just basic boltons.

Also can somone fill me in on what's up with the rear shock mounts?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 328i
    On the earlier model M3s (95-96), BMW put water pumps with plastic impellers. The impellers broke causing the engine to overheat and warp the head. Make sure that has been replaced with a new water pump with metal impeller or buy the car and replace it yourself ($35). Check the rear trailing arm bushing as they may start going bad after 45k miles causing damage to the subframe (been there done that). Replacing them can cost anywhere from $150-$400 depending on who does it. The rear shock mount bushings can go bad and over time cause wear and breakage around the rear shock mounting area. That's about it. Kick the tires, check the belts, and do a CarFax. I also like to check tire wear (even wear or not). Good luck!
    - Roman

My Cars
    stuff
    if u dont mind high miles then buy mine..all the stuff mentioned above is safe on mine....rear shock mounts with about 300 miles on them, clutch kit with about 10k on it, 4 tires with less than 2000 miles on them,new belts with zero miles on them, rotors with less than 10k miles on them, pads with less than 10k miles on them, koni shocks with less than 10k miles on them, guibo in good condition(got it checked at dealer yesterday)....
    if your looking at one be sure to check all the above plus be sure to get the engine checked out to be sure VANOS is not giving problems(expensive to fix) and the engine overall is in good shape...

bolt ons...
    euro ellipsoid headlights,
    fog lamps with 3M covers
    mesh or luxo front grill..your choice...
    fully adjustable lowering springs...u get with car
    short shifter kit
    x-brace
    euro intake snorkel

...lemme know if your interested...
    Kevin

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Check the service light on the dash. Find out how soon the car will need a major service. The dealer wants alot for a major service.
    2002 M5
    95 M3 (sold)

My Cars
    m3
    kevin7909

Thanks but i'm looking for a coupe. Also trying to keep it under 18k so i'm looking at a 95 or 96 unless i can find a smoking deal on a 99. Thinking about going back to school so i don't want a big car payment holding me down. If you guys know of some good deals please let me know. How long does a typical m3 engine last before having problems? I'm not easy on cars (who is?) so this to be taken into consideration.

My Cars
    stuff
    well i am easy on mine...VERY easy on it (compression tests etc. i believe will confirm this)...no biggie, thats what everyone tells me(everyone wants a coupe)...if u DID want a sedan we could talk tho....u never know ....
    Kevin

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    Waterpump
    Thermostat
    Thermostat housing
    Rear trailing arm bushings
    Rear shock mounts
    Shocks

Make sure the person has all the records and run a Carfax. Take it to a trusty mechanic that can check it out for you and tell you if anything has been changed or if the car has frame damage. Check for usual wear and tear items.

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    m3
    Ok thanks for all the info. If anyone comes across a good deal let me know. Also if a member is selling on please post it here. Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Also check the radiator neck, they are prone for breakage as they are plastic

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '

My Cars
    m3
    Thanks for the links. This one is nice but Im not really big on red.