Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M3 power loss; input please

My Cars
    1997 M3

M3 power loss; input please

OK here is the story. I feel like I have lost power. I cant do 2nd gear chirps anymore. It could be the shark story, or because my clutch is almost out or because my tires are bald

Shark story- I was having idle problems so I decided to reset and remove the shark software. I put it in and the light is blinking like its doing something. It blinks for 15 minutes and just take it out. I dont know if I interrupted something or not. The idle problem doesent change (it is actually the ICV that needed to be replaced) i put the shark in and hit upgrade it flashes for a 30 secs and stops so I think its done. So I am not sure if it is in for sure or not. Maybe if I just upgraded it again to to be sure. But I am sure you can chirp with out the shark.

My clutch seems to be slipping. During a high spirited drive or race etc. from second when i pop it in third the rmps go way high, then drop down as if it caught then. So I dont know if that is a possibility

My Pilot sports are bald?

Thanks for your input

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Fwiw I just found out how much of a difference it makes how much tread is on the Pilot Sports. I was oversteering like a madman until I got new rear tires recently, now traction is 1000% better. Of course if your clutch is slipping then that's a more pressing issue.
    Lee

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Im pretty sure you can chirp without a chip right?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Well xoc, if his tires are bald and you're saying they have bad traction when bald, then he should be able to chirp his tires in 2nd, as he says he used to do.

M Life, from the sound of your racing story (how the RPMs go high, then drop), your clutch may be going. If you get a new one, go with the UUC 8.5 lbs. flywheel and M5 clutch kit.

Hey I just noticed you're from deerfield, IL... I'm from highland park. I guess we're neighbors. :

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Originally posted by ////\/\ark
    Well xoc, if his tires are bald and you're saying they have bad traction when bald, then he should be able to chirp his tires in 2nd, as he says he used to do.

M Life, from the sound of your racing story (how the RPMs go high, then drop), your clutch may be going. If you get a new one, go with the UUC 8.5 lbs. flywheel and M5 clutch kit.

Hey I just noticed you're from deerfield, IL... I'm from highland park. I guess we're neighbors. :
    Yea im from deerfield, whats up with pitsburg?

Is there chattering with the m5 clutch and uuc flywheel?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I'm doing the grad school thing out here at Carnegie Mellon U. I grew up in HP though.

As for the chattering, I don't have any first-hand experience, but from what I've heard it really depends on the car. Some people say there is absolutely none, while others say there's a little, but it's not too bad. I think this will be my next upgrade as I suspect my clutch has seen better days as well. I just have to find the money first... :12:

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46
    Wouldn't bald tires make it harder to chirp your tires due to a larger contact patch? It's like running slicks right? The tread only helps when the road is wet for water dispersion. Maybe you'll be able to do that once you get new tires.
    PM is full. Do not PM me. EMAIL me to communicate!!

*** SF Bay Area ***
    SRS Light Reset $15 (first 10 ppl, then free after that for everyone)

The only replacement for displacement is technology.

E46 03 325i
    E36 98 M3 Vert
    E36 95 M3
    E36 93 318IS
    E30 89 M3

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i
    I have perf. tires on my 328is and a worn clutch and I can chirp....What's the big deal about it. I thought M3's could chirp 3rd gear too?:

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3
    A third gear chirp takes a bit of work, but it can be done. I'd get a new clutch, it sounds like the stock setup is on its way out. Go with the UUC setup described above. I have only heard good things about it.
    Good Luck,
    Dan
    " My rims are bigger than your future!"

-5 point racing harnesses:$115.00
    -Helmet:$195.00
    -Full tank of gas:$24.00
    -Day at the Track:$62.00
    -Laying on my back at 10 PM in 40 degree, freezing rain pulling out the "dragging" underbody panel from the front bumper: Priceless

My Cars
    1997 M3
    What about the shark any opinions?

My Cars
    Now: 96 M3 Then: 97 M3
    There are too many factors involved , environmental and otherwise, to assume decreased performance base on 'chirping' or 'not chirping' your tires. So, look at other things that could denote reduced performance and don't use tire chirping as part of your criteria.

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    I've never chirped my tires in any gear but 1st.
    Lee

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Originally posted by Whatup1049
    I have perf. tires on my 328is and a worn clutch and I can chirp....What's the big deal about it. I thought M3's could chirp 3rd gear too?:
    You'd have to have some serious power to be able to chirp 3rd gear.
    '99 ///M3 13.766 @ 100.12
    Gruppe M style CF intake, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Kosei K1's, Motorsport side molding badges, Rieger gt cup front spoiler, OEM ///M5 trunk lip spoiler, 6000k HID+Predator Chromium angel eyes w/parking light delete, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks, Eibach springs, Rogue Engineering RSM's

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is, 1972 Buick GS
    I noticed the same thing you did. I would take off and shift 1 and 2 and in third the rpm would go way up then drop down. Now, anytime I rpm above 3 grand my clutch seems to slip.

I heard on this board to go 20 miles an hour drop it in 5th or 4th and floor it. If your rpms go way up, then it is slipping. If your car bogs, then it is not. My rpms went way up, so I assume it is slipping. One person on here actually let it slip to long and it ended up eating his flywheel.

Unless otherwise told, I am planning on installing a whole new clutch next week. Anybody got one for sale?
    Lurkin...

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper

Re: M3 power loss; input please

Originally posted by ///M LIFEŠ

My clutch seems to be slipping. During a high spirited drive or race etc. from second when i pop it in third the rmps go way high, then drop down as if it caught then. So I dont know if that is a possibility

ur clutch has started to slip, time to uprade to UUC 8.5 lb ltw flywheel with E34 M5 clutch kit. i am in the same boat now and u might wanna replace the following parts too, here is a list along with the price from bimmerparts.com

the parts will cost u $1024 incl shipping. $499(free shipping from understeer.com) for the UUC ltw stg 2 flywheel(8.5 lbs) and below is the list of parts i ordered from bimmerparts.com for a total of $524.11.

Flex Disc $73.47
    Pilot Bearing $11.64
    1.00 SACHS E34M5CLUTCJKIT Complete E34 M5 Clutch Kit Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc And Release Bearing $319.00
    E36 M3 Clutch Slave Cylinder $39.19
    Rear Crankshaft Seal $15.30
    Front Crankshaft Seal $ 7.53
    Driveshaft Support $38.87

Subtotal: 505.00
    Shipping And Insurance - UPG: 19.11
    Total Weight: 28.37 pounds
    Order Total: 524.11

and if u plan on getting it done at a shop, look at labor of around $500 to $600.

HTH,

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Thanks for all the info. time to start saving up. I wonder how the car will feel with a brand new clutch and light flywheel. I bought the car with 70k miles original clutch

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    how many miles on the car now ???

My Cars
    1997 M3

couldnt i just replace the M3 clutch disc instead of getting all the other things? How long does the stock flywheel last?

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    well, the tranny is gonna be out and since ur already paying for labor(if ur taking it to shop) its just easier to replace the stock fly wheel with the UUC ltw flywheel, it have heard that u have faster acceleration with the ltw flywheel and the chattering that ppl talk about with ltw flywheel is reduced or eliminated with the E34 M5 clutch kit coz the clutch disc has a sprung hub.

the way i saw it was, if i went with stock parts my cost would have been between $800 and $900, just made more sense to throw in the ltw flywheel since i am anyways paying for the labor.

its up to you, u can still drive with a slipping clutch till u save up $$ for the ltw flywheel, just avoid stepping hard on the gas, as long as u dont drive aggresively, the clutch will not slip but eventually the clutch will die.

i am throwing in the M3 shift lever along with the illuminated shift knob also when i get the clutch install done.

HTH,

My Cars
    1997 M3
    What do you mean the clutch will die? If i drive normally, not agressive, I should be able to squeeze some more miles out of it while i save up the $$$. ho many more can i get out of it

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    well my clutch started slipping on 4/12, i have been forcing myself not to drive aggresively, as long as i am not aggresive the clutch does not slip, so the answer is YES, u can squeeze more miles outta the clutch till u save up for the ltw flywheel. but then again it ain't NO fun if u dont drive ur car hard i like revving it up and with the slipping clutch i gotta drive like a grandpa the UUC flywheel being on back order doesnt help

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Guys I just found out when I put my shark back in it was not upgraded then. When you upgrade you have to plug to a charger, so the upgrade was unsuccesful. thats why I felt the power loss. Now I am chirping again. Comon somebody must have known this.
    So i put the chip in and attach it to a charger and there its done.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    so ur clutch is not slipping ?

My Cars
    1997 M3
    clutch slips in 4th and seems to be moving its way down. Its holding for now. The new setup should be here soon hope fully. What if i just went with the stock m3 clutch? save some money?

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    the way i see it, the only thing extra ur gonna be getting is the ltw flywheel. btw, how much does the stock M3 clutch kit cost, coz the M3 clutch kit costs $319.
    HTH,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast