Thread: Coming soon to a M-coupe near you!!......if you live in Florida that is....

My Cars
    00 M-Coupe

Cool Coming soon to a M-coupe near you!!......if you live in Florida that is....

Say hello to twin 12" Image Dynamic IDQ V3s AND some trunk space!! After a couple of weeks of running through all of the different mounting layouts, benefits, tradeoffs, etc... I finally decided on a design and whipped up a model in SolidWorks. Subwoofer mounting surface and top of box will be shaped to the contour of the trunk to provide an integrated look (not shown). Box has been optimized for ideal subwoofer volume(1 ft^3 per sub) and being as low profile as possible. The top slides under the privacy retractable shade frame and the rear of the box does not cross the split in the trunk floor so battery, etc..is still accessible. Now I just need to find some MDF
    Last edited by M Coupen It; 03-08-2008 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Looks good. What amp are you going to run?

My Cars
    M Coupe - Sunroof Delete
    cant wait for a test fit....

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    It would be cool if you could recess the subs so that your chosen cover is flush with the box itself. This way it looks completely invisible/stealth like the original setup.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Pretty cool, but 2 of those 12s in a small ass car... what's the point?

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    welllll I just bought misterX's box...

but that thing defiantely looks promising, but probably too much bass for my taste

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    00 M-Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    It would be cool if you could recess the subs so that your chosen cover is flush with the box itself. This way it looks completely invisible/stealth like the original setup.
    That is an EXCELLENT Idea. hmmmm, might have to redesign

Quote Originally Posted by mz3onturn7 View Post
    Looks good. What amp are you going to run?

I already have the subs and amp. Soundstream Tarantula 1400x2. I have the DVC 4 ohm subs which will be wired in series and then both subs in paralell so that each sub sees 700W @4ohms Maybe I'll do 350 @8...we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Of Speed View Post
    Pretty cool, but 2 of those 12s in a small ass car... what's the point?
    Thats like saying whats the point of adding a turbo? 1 sub was going to take up nearly as much space a 2....so why not? BTW these subs are not intended to be heard a mile away, although they can if desired, they are for precise, tight, compliments to your music......should sound SICK!

Quote Originally Posted by mz4speed4me View Post
    but probably too much bass for my taste
    no such thing if it sounds good! Mister X makes a sweet box, I thought about it and did not want to spend the money and maybe be hungry for more. I'm pretty sure I wont have that problem with this setup. Probably will never be used to full potential.

I tend towards designing for overkill. Its always beter to have too much and tone it down than to not have enough and have to live with it.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M Coupen It View Post
    Thats like saying whats the point of adding a turbo? 1 sub was going to take up nearly as much space a 2....so why not? BTW these subs are not intended to be heard a mile away, although they can if desired, they are for precise, tight, compliments to your music......should sound SICK!

No, not like adding a turbo. Power can be useful. Drowing out your music with bass though, not my thing.

I'm not talking down to the box though, it's gonna turn out sick honestly, just don't see the point. the single 10 in my car is way more than enough.

My Cars
    00 M-Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Of Speed View Post
    No, not like adding a turbo. Power can be useful. Drowing out your music with bass though, not my thing.

I'm not talking down to the box though, it's gonna turn out sick honestly, just don't see the point. the single 10 in my car is way more than enough.
    Eh, to each his own. My original plan was for 2 8s, turned into 1 10, turned into 2-10s, then I just said the hell with it, lets just throw in 2 12s. I have a tendancy to get carried away like that. Its probably going to be similar to having a bottle of nitrous......dont want to use it all the time, but sure is fun to hit it once in a while!

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    well i cant wait for my box to get here so i can find out what fits.... my plans are either a kicker vx or a jl w3, i hope its deep enough for one of them!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    well i cant wait for my box to get here so i can find out what fits.... my plans are either a kicker vx or a jl w3, i hope its deep enough for one of them!
    It was deep enough for my IDQ-10.

And it sounds awesome. I actually had to turn the gain down on the amp and adjust the fader settings because I was getting too much bass.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3

Lightbulb similar project

I am currently building a sealed box to sit in the enclosure between the seats in an area vacated by the stock dvc mid-range speaker box. I will not be using the stock rear deck cover panel - I am making a cover to compliment the wood grain console. Right now I have two 5 1/4 alpines,facing upward, (~45hz low range) wired as single dvc input to provide some bass. I will be placing a 6 to 6.5 (JL Audio) inch SW in a sealed box facing upward with 1.5 - 2.0 cf volume. I am unable to find a decent dvc 6 - 6.5 inch SW online so I may just use bass input from a single channel. In a roadster I don't expect too much but maybe just enough to provide a decent robust sound. I wonder what kind of response I will hear using the stock (non HK) HU and amp with the new 6.5 SW. I have already replaced the 5 1/4s and 4"s.

Wish me luck - any gotchas I should know about?

Thanks,
    Mike

My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    well an idq-10 is only like 4.5 inches deep, which is NOTHING for a sub

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    To the original poster, make a grill mesh cover that hides the entire face of the box, people won't even know its there

The 11ov.2 is 6.125" deep and it fits fine. But when you get it you'll see where the tight spots are, basket shape and such come into play too.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Just giving you an option if the Kicker or JL don't work out.