Thread: DME Swap giving Crankcase vent code?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

DME Swap giving Crankcase vent code?

Not getting any love in the Engine Tuning forum so I am reposting here looking for suggestions:

I purchased a 2005 S54 SMG Engine for an engine swap. I had the following done to the DME (MSS54HP): SMG to Manual, EWS Delete, SAP Delete, O2 post cat Delete, Cat Delete, Dyno Tune delete.

I installed the DME into my Manual 2002 E46 M3 (Uses MSS54) to test it out. The new DME is throwing Crankcase Ventilation codes and a CEL (Foxwell Scanner). I clear the code and the car stumbles a second, code comes back, and the car runs fine.

I re-install the original DME and it runs with no codes or CEL.

What did we miss? Did we exclude something when going from SMG to Manual? Is the DME looking for a signal for a SMG function from the Crankcase? Would like to have an error free DME going into the swap so I'm not chasing ghost codes. Another possibility, is there any benefit to coding out the Crankcase Vent error (if possible) on the original DME? Maybe the PO did something I'm not aware of.

Second question: The Sport function is almost like a turbo button on my 02 DME. On the 05 DME, it's just a mild boost. Found that interesting. Why?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Who did the tuning and data editing to the MSS54hp? They would be the first people to go to.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I will leave them nameless at this point. But I purchased a swap harness from them and they did the conversion. They are very reputable and their customer service has been excellent so far answering tons of questions. They didn’t do any “tuning”, really just turned off EWS and O2 sensors etc. I have reached out to them and they are looking into it but they have not had this issue before.

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmancab View Post
    I will leave them nameless at this point. But I purchased a swap harness from them and they did the conversion. They are very reputable and their customer service has been excellent so far answering tons of questions. They didn’t do any “tuning”, really just turned off EWS and O2 sensors etc. I have reached out to them and they are looking into it but they have not had this issue before.
    I am kind of in the same boat as you. Recently, I accidentally bricked my DME. I had it repaired by a local friend (Not sure if it matters but, he installed a different version of software on the DME than what used to be on it, the original version), and then I had the car tuned/flashed by HTE. Now, I am experiencing code 154, crankcase breather. How did you resolve this issue/what was the culprit?