Thread: The UNOFFICIAL E39 Touring Thread!

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Nice! How did it turn out, yeah i actually want to redo mine, maybe a shade lighter
    Turned out nice. I'll have to get some better pic up soon. Went limo I n the back and legal up front...35%. Been working underneath it and trying to finish up iinterior trim work. Raining like crazy today here in TX, of course.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
    Ed

Keep on modding and fixing!..

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Looking forward to the photos. I have been procrastinating getting mine done and most of that is because of the %. I have a dark interior already but I want it to help with help with cooling and protect my leather dash. Yeah, I will do my windshield when I do mine.

On another note, I bit the bullet and bought the arnott springs for my touring. I have the SLS Sport bags but after reviews here, I jumped. It helped that Amazon had the RR bag for $60 or so. I only need the LR but I like doing things like this in pairs.

All in all, it was very straight forward and I was done with with the wrenching portion rather quickly. The new bags are about an inch or so longer than my sport bags. Not sure how that is going to pan out in the long run.

Now for the interesting part, in my experience, I have always let cars/trucks air up before letting the wheels down for the first time on new bags to avoid pinching them. I thought I would follow suit here with the touring. It's the first time I've ever done it on one of these so I figured it would be the same as say a mercedes? Well, I reconnected the battery, woke the car up, inserted the key...none of that prompted the compressor to cycle on. I lifted the car on one side at a time, let the car all the way down...nothing.

I was doing this for preventative maintenance because the price amazon had on them. I had a very slow leak in my LR were it would leak down after sitting for a month or two (I don't really drive this car. A shame, I know).

I kept at it, trying different things. Left it alone overnight, battery on charge and the car locked so it could go to "sleep". I messed with it yesterday when I had some time and still nothing. I have no blown fuses (7.5A/30A) and I am getting power at the compressor. I was able to get the compressor to run. It seems it is not getting the signal to cycle or it has lost the "position" of the car?

I am very green when it comes to the SLS stuff. I wasn't expecting to learn all this just replacing the bags. I guess I will dig through the wiring diagrams and what not to see what I can gather. On top of that, my BMW laptop with DIS, INPA is not working correctly. Go figure.

P.S.
    If this clogs up this thread too much guys, just say so and I'll move it elsewhere.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Hey Shaun brothah -

There is apparently no 'pressure sense pre-load the bags' so there is no way to inflate them without dropping the suspension down at least a little bit below the setting it wants to achieve. I am sure other systems might have some way to preload but this one doesn't do that as it doesn't really sense air pressure at all it just senses ride height and responds to that. The only way you could 'pre-load' would be to disconnect the ride height sensors, set them to 'below desired ride height' when really the suspension was hanging in the air, but then you'd be in danger of over inflating them if you didn't catch them in time... BUT...

I think I know what your problem might be... might be super simple/obvious... I just had this problem myself.

First of all - the car won't air up the bags AT ALL if it thinks the car is jacked, and it tells this by seeing the sensors not moving and at full extension. It goes basically into "on the lift" mode. So as above... they will never air up when jacked high, you need to lower it down to something feasible.

With that as a ground rule, here's the tricky thing that can happen...

If for any reason you drop the suspension arms, the ride height sensor arms can rotate down past vertical and then come up ON THE OTHER SIDE - the inside side of the sensor - and get stuck there. This means they are stuck well past full extension, and the computer reads it as "wow the rear suspension is WAY THE FURK extended! must be on a lift!" And then it will disable the pump / system entirely.

It's easy to look at them if you aren't super familiar and think 'OK that looks alright' when its hanging on the lift, which is what happened w/ the pro shop that did my rear ball joints and alignment when in fact the arms had crossed over 180 degrees and were on the wrong side on both sides. All I had to do was jack the car to hang the wheels again, pop the links/arms around to the other side so the arms were rotating towards the outside of the car instead of the inside, then lower it down again. Presto voila, everything working perfectly.

With luck maybe that happened w/ you when you had it dropped all the way down for the bag change.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    GG,

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it may be those guys, I just didn't have time to get under and take a look after messing around with checking power to the compressor, etc. I ran out of time. I'm now helping the "old man" with his Jeep today, so there goes another day of tinkering with it.

It makes since if the arms would cross over and then not send the signal. It sounds bizarre but this sounds exactly like what is happening. I was going to try pulling one off next to see if I could "pre-load" it as you mentioned but I quickly decided against that. I've seen some crazy things happen and I didn't want to reenact any of those and wind up in the hospital. I'm not looking for a tall story to tell, just trying to get the bags changed. Ha.

I will give the sensors a look in the next few days and report back. Since this happened to me, I wanted to more or less get it down in case someone else took the same approach and found themselves in a similar position.

Now, I need to figure out flickr or something...

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    I know this is a long time but the whole photo bucket deal is going to be my excuse ok. Haha.

Ok, figured out the flickr deal again. This photo is shortly after I picked up my touring. I still like the style 5's on it. 18"s would be very nice looking if you go that route. Cleaning them is the only pain it the butt. I love my schnitzer wheels for that. I keep them waxed and just wipe them off with a microfiber and spray wax. It's a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by shaunmlavery; 08-27-2017 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunmlavery View Post
    I will give the sensors a look in the next few days and report back. Since this happened to me, I wanted to more or less get it down in case someone else took the same approach and found themselves in a similar position.
    Cool. When it happened to me, the bags hadn't been removed so they had enough residual air to last me about :20-30 min of driving then started to be noticeably flat and thats when the error popped up SLS disabled (I think it was after I exceeded a speed threshold in fact). Also - it took me only about 5 minutes to fix - jacked the car by the diff, reached in, flipped the levers around, then dropped it back down again. Hope that's your solution as it's a super fast/easy.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    That sounds very promising. I may just have to make some time to look at this sooner rather than later. I told myself I wouldn't watch that McGregor/Mayweather fight last night...things went differently. Someone ordered it and it ended up being a late night.

For those that are interested in seeing the sport bags versus the arnott bags, here is what I have. These bags are believed to be original from 2001 with 118k on it. Again, I had one bag that had a very slight leak. If this car was driven daily it may be hard to see it. Regardless, they lasted quite awhile. I was going to go back with the BMW bags but they seem to have increased there prices quite a bit over the past few years.

Here are the bags laying down and vertical to try to show the size. The arnott springs seem to be around an inch shorter based off of a quick and dirty measurement.
    These were quick grabs with the camera My hands were dirty and it was late.

For those wandering, there are location tabs on the top and bottom. It would be very hard to screw that part up. The paper gaskets weren't included with the arnott bags.

For now, that is my contribution to the Sport SLS/Arnott Airsprings.
    Last edited by shaunmlavery; 08-27-2017 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I had them flip from jacking up my wagon once, it's especially easy to do if you have lowering links. Like GG said, flip em up and you're golden

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    I know this is a long time but the whole photo bucket deal is going to be my excuse ok. Haha.

Ok, figured out the flickr deal again. This photo is shortly after I picked up my touring. I still like the style 5's on it. 18"s would be very nice looking if you go that route. Cleaning them is the only pain it the butt. I love my schnitzer wheels for that. I keep them waxed and just wipe them off with a microfiber and spray wax. It's a beautiful thing.
    Beautiful

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Thrifty,
    My apologies for taking so long to get you a photo. Hopefully that gives you an idea if you go the Style 5 route.

As far as my bag replacement goes, all is good! Thanks everyone who replied so quickly to help. In a nutshell, here is what happened...

So, I have always replaced air springs/bags by letting them air up some before letting the car completely down. Granted, most of this has been done on a lift and the car has been hooked up to a computer but the same logic still applied in my mind.

I was probably overly cautious letting the rear of the touring down on the new bags since I never heard the compressor cycle. After double checking my end links for the SLS (if that's what they are called) I verified they were in the correct orientation, I dropped the car down and then did something stupid simple...sat on the back. As soon as I did that, the compressor cycled and my ride height is now good!

I think the taller bags had something to do with it initially. My sport bags would tuck my wheels when it aired down big time. These airnott bags just tuck the top of my tire.

Again, thanks for the quick replies. That's what makes this place great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Updates. Got the wagon lowered and had a few interior pieces fixed/ replaced.

DSC_7212 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    DSC_7215 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    DSC_7217 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    DSC_7208 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    DSC_7219 by andrewt92, on Flickr

4'' Exhaust Tip
    IMG_0264 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    IMG_0343-2 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    IMG_0345-2 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    IMG_0346-4 by andrewt92, on Flickr
    IMG_0355-4 by andrewt92, on Flickr

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Carlova,

W I D E lens. Looks good. How does it ride?

What is the button on the inside of the cubby and what's it do? I have one of my iPod hookups in there.

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Carlova,

W I D E lens. Looks good. How does it ride?

What is the button on the inside of the cubby and what's it do? I have one of my iPod hookups in there.

It rides very well. Apparently, the button was an individual option. My friend's wagon has it too. He told me it was for heated door handles and mirrors? I'll have to look in the owners manual to make sure.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by carlova789 View Post
    It rides very well. Apparently, the button was an individual option. My friend's wagon has it too. He told me it was for heated door handles and mirrors? I'll have to look in the owners manual to make sure.
    Huh. I have never seen that button.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I have this on my Alpine White touring also, no idea what it does. Its a individual also. hmmm ?

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I have this on my Alpine White touring also, no idea what it does. Its a individual also. hmmm ?
    I'm staring to think this is an Alpine White thing?

Shocking if it's heated door handles and mirrors. That would be a weird spot. I no longer live in a climate that requires that.

I remember on my E28 you just turned the key and held it. I know we've broken a couple E53 handles in the family due to cold weather.

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I belive the Alpine on Black 525iTs were individual. Check your engine bay for the label. They usually have navi and piano black trim.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Crazy. So the switch bin w/ the hole for the switch should be unique, right? So I looked in REALOEM and the only options for the switch bin are

For vehicles with
    Intercom system
    Official vehicle
    S190A=Yes
    10 CENTER CONSOLE STORING PARTITION, CENTRE SCHWARZ 1 51168210674 ENDED, +core

"intercom system" for "official vehicle"? Like a rear passenger intercom to for the driver to talk to limo passengers via the speakers?

Innerwebz search on option S190A turns up next to nothing for E39's... That can't be it, must be something else.

Great mystery though. You guys with one - press the shizt out of that thing and make it do something so we can figure it out!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Crazy. So the switch bin w/ the hole for the switch should be unique, right? So I looked in REALOEM and the only options for the switch bin are

For vehicles with
    Intercom system
    Official vehicle
    S190A=Yes
    10 CENTER CONSOLE STORING PARTITION, CENTRE SCHWARZ 1 51168210674 ENDED, +core

"intercom system" for "official vehicle"? Like a rear passenger intercom to for the driver to talk to limo passengers via the speakers?

Innerwebz search on option S190A turns up next to nothing for E39's... That can't be it, must be something else.

Great mystery though. You guys with one - press the shizt out of that thing and make it do something so we can figure it out!
    All I know is that it lights up. I took it out, and replaced it with a regular cubby. Last 7 of the VIN if you want to look up specs: GD86490
    I'll check out the owners manual tonight.
    Last edited by carlova789; 08-30-2017 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    All I know is that it lights up. I took it out, and replaced it with a regular cubby. Last 7 of the VIN if you want to look up specs: GD86490
    I'll check out the owners manual tonight.
    Using BMW ETK VIN Lookup

VIN turns up a S940A Option - Special Equipment BMW

At Bottom: BMW Individual - 0940 Sonderwunschausstattung
    E39/2 Servicemobile, ZU

Google Translate of Sonderwunschausstattung - Special Option

Searching Google for "E39/2 BMW Servicemobile" turns up the following

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-black-touring

Searching google for "BMW Servicemobile"

https://www.bmw.com.co/es/topics/off...icemobile.html

When translated to English I find the following on the page and on that page is a picture of a BMW (X3 / X5) that has the words BMW Servicemobile on the side

We offer a workshop service that can reach you, fully prepared, at the time and place you prefer to offer the following services:
    • Battery changes.
    • Standard Vehicle Inspections.
    • Review of lights and change of bulbs.
    • Check the brake system.
    • Presence in brand events.
    • Accompaniment on roads the festive bridges or on holiday dates.

CONDITIONS OF SERVICEMOBILE.

To schedule the service call Bogota at 657 8080 and in Medellín at 232 9086, or write to us at servicemobile@autogermana.com.co. Initially available in urban areas of Bogotá (see coverage) and in the Medellín metropolitan area. Hours are available from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The service is subject to availability of assistance vehicles and to the peak and plate restriction. The value of the service may involve additional labor charges. Not available for oil change. Conditions and restrictions apply.
    So my thought on this is that at one time or another E39 Tourings were used as Servicemobiles and that switch has something to do with that. What it actually does I don't know but it must do some "special function" and may have been disable when the car was sold.

And then there are these links which make me wonder if there was a amber warning light on the car at one time.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...es-e34-05-2009 - Picture of a BMW Servicemobile with a bunch of parts.

http://bmwruslan.com/street/m5series/?page=6 - Picture of diecast cars some are servicemobiles

So is someone willing to figure out where the wires go?

2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    After a little more research here we go some real information about S190A code as listed in the parts listing on realoem.com

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...ECE/72/72_0672

The Intercom system seems to have a few microphones in the car and a speaker outside the car.

Edit:

The link above is for current manufacturing using the S190A code. Looking up any of those part number at realoem only shows current models mostly.

It seems at least on the current F series cars the microphones are on the exterior of the car.

So now wondering if that switch activated some sort of siren or outside speaker.

Edit 2:

If this has something to do with a Safety Vehicle (police/fire/safety car etc) that may be why there is also very little information about this option on the web.
    Last edited by schatzy62; 08-30-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Haha. That got a laugh out of me. I thought I was asking an easy question for someone.

Maybe Dennis Cooper will show up with his diesel touring. If I remember correctly, his was a former police car or something to that extent. Surely it had that option?

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Interesting... Well, didn't find much in the manual. Here's the window sticker
    IMG_0405 by andrewt92, on Flickr

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Very interesting 'button' there for sure! Shaun, yes my car is an Ex Police car here in the UK, but my car doesn't have this button I feel like I'm missing out ! I do know that BMW did produce batches of 'low spec' E39's earmarked for various Police forces in different countries around the world. I'd 'suspect' that the switch does indeed control something where that country's 'Police earmarked' batches might have had some specifics in order to connect specific equipment ?

There's allsorts that turns up with these E39 Police cars, my headliner for instance has a 'bigger' removeable panel that's located more in the centre of the roof rather than the 'sunroof' location. I can only assume it was for easy access to some control unit/fuses/connections for the light bar that used to be affixed, there's the 'double' hump dashtop as well which I saw on one E39 that drove past me and I managed to get a picture of it too! I think that was subsequently found to be for the 'taxi' spec E39's where some of the gauges would be. Back to Police, and perhaps common to all of these spec cars was the split charging battery setup with 2 batteries and the carpeted cover being a slightly different shape to accommodate the extra bulk. I'm sure there's other similar rare to be seen 'options' !

Carlova - Want to sell me that button ?! Reason is that I'll be purchasing a light bar in the short/medium term future and it'd be great to switch it on/off with it! I do have some genuine Police Blue stealth mount compact light units as well as a genuine siren unit (needs the module to produce the noise though). I'll make these easily removable and only connect when on show ground as it's illegal to have flashing or blue hi visibility lights when on the public roads. I'll understand if you wish to keep it though !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    e39
    After having a (very rare) E39 M5 and then and "completely" modified E61 I now added an E39 Touring to compliment the E61.

I will start a build thread here soon, the modding is well under way
    It feels good to be back in an E39 but it has some big shoes to fill.

Cheers,
    Evan

Here is the previous M5 and the "other" wagon...

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 09-12-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Page 293 of 301 FirstFirst ... 193243268283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301 LastLast