Thread: Changing Factory BMW Business Stereo Head Unit

My Cars
    BMW 318ti

Changing Factory BMW Business Stereo Head Unit

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a commonly asked question, I've been searching forums for days to try to find some basic information without much luck.

I've just bought my first BMW 318ti (2002), and thinking about changing the BMW Business stereo for something else (JVC KD-AVX33?) Can the bay take a double DIN or just single DIN? I'm not planning on fitting an amp or extra speakers at the moment.

Is there a guide or howto available that will take me through step by step how to remove the existing radio and fit a new one?

Also does anyone have any views on whether it's a good idea to change? I'm a bit concerned that a nonfactory radio is going to be an eyesore on the dash, what with the smooth lines suddenly meeting a big rectangular box.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    honestly i like the way that the stock system sounds..... but of course there is nothing wrong with a little modification..... i went ahead and did a little bit of research for you and got the different kinds of things you could do and how they would look..... let me know what you think and what you do
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW 318ti
    Thanks for the response jcorrea, and the fourth image really confirms my worst fears about installing a standard single DIN unit in terms of appearance.

Typically though, a couple of hours after I started the post I finally found the guide I was looking for at another forum (e46 fanatics thread 390158 for anyone interested).

So I'd like to change my question a bit. Does anyone know of a decent single DIN aftermarket head unit/fascia that integrates nicely with the dash? I can't see anything in the usual online radio stores, but you would think a market exists for them!

If not I might have to bite the bullet and look at the climate control relocation and double DIN install, which look pretty sweet, but would definitely be beyond my skill level. Can anyone recommend a good garage that will do this type of modification work in England, preferably in the Manchester/North West area?

Thanks again.

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe
    I also like the way the stock business system sounds... but all of the options above seem like nice modifications to the sound system (aesthetics wise).

2009 MINI Cooper S & 1990 Mazda Miata show car

Let's motor.... and zoom zoom!

My Cars
    BMW 318ti
    Well to be honest I'm forced to do something with it as it currently won't play any CDs. So it either needs to be repaired or replaced. I don't have an issue with the sound, but I would like to play mp3s on CDs/DVDs and maybe even on a USB/SD drive. The ability to play DVD films is nice too, but hardly essential.

If I could get the standard unit with the ability to play mp3s on DVD/memory card I might just get that, but I don't think one exists...?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    For the US-spec models, the Alpine head units manufactured after approximately March 2004 (installed in Model Year 2005+ cars) have the capability to play MP3 files off of CD. Since you have a 2002 model year, you probably already have an Alpine head unit, but not one that plays MP3s. Prior to MY 2002, the head unit was manufactured by Blaupunkt; these can be replaced with the Alpine head unit but the antenna connector is different, so you need an antenna adapter.

I'd shop around (eBay etc) for a relatively new Alpine head unit. Replace your broken non-MP3 Alpine with a newer, non-broken, MP3-capable Alpine head unit.

I agree that the single-DIN aftermarket head units look terrible. The double-DIN touchscreen units are nice, but are not an easy direct swap; you have to move your climate control unit and modify the vent ductwork behind the head unit.

You can still improve sound quality by keeping the stock (or newer Alpine) head unit, but replacing the speakers with higher-quality speakers.

My Cars
    Acura CL Type S
    I found a site that might be able to help you.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...adio-Upgrades/

My Cars
    1999 328i
    I'm trying to find a link or list of the different models of OEM dash radio cd's and how they are compatible with various e46 models... when I look around on e.g. ebay there seems to be a variety of pn's for "BMW Business CD" that look the same. I'm going to pull my cd unit and confirm the pn - the car is a 1999 E46 sedan - I guess I'm looking for a flow chart.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I don't know the part numbers or the exact model years. There seem to be many, many part numbers for the head unit. You can dig around on www.realoem.com to find them.

There are three significant groups (see below). The model years below are approximate; I think there is some variation based on the point of assembly.

1999-2001
    BMW Business CD.
    Manufactured by Blaupunkt. 2 antenna connectors (one amplified, one not?)
    The part number on my old one says: 65 12 6 909 882

2002-2004
    BMW Business CD.
    Manufactured by Alpine. 1 antenna connector.

2005-2006
    BMW Business CD.
    Plays MP3s.

The three are interchangeable, except the antenna connector is different between the Blaupunkt and the Alpine. Your 323 probably came with the Blaupunkt. You can swap it out for a newer Alpine but you'll need to get an adapter for the antenna.

I don't think there exists an antenna adapter go put an older head unit in a newer car - not that anyone would ever want to.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    where can you get the antenna adaptor? I have a failing Blaupunkt and I purchased an Alpine unit out of a 2004 325.... Also I have the DICE iPod integration so it eliminates any need for MP3 CD's I love it!

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Forum sponsor EAS, I think carries them.

My Cars
    04 330ci
    if you want to keep the stock look you could get a new Alpine Business CD head unit and install that with a DICE iPod adapter (also has an AUX input so you can plug in....whatever).

Mods: Eisenmann Sport, Dinan CAI and S2 software, F&R strut bars, interior xenons, BSW S1 audio

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
    if you want to keep the stock look you could get a new Alpine Business CD head unit and install that with a DICE iPod adapter (also has an AUX input so you can plug in....whatever).
    +1

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    I don't know the part numbers or the exact model years. There seem to be many, many part numbers for the head unit. You can dig around on www.realoem.com to find them.

There are three significant groups (see below). The model years below are approximate; I think there is some variation based on the point of assembly.

1999-2001
    BMW Business CD.
    Manufactured by Blaupunkt. 2 antenna connectors (one amplified, one not?)
    The part number on my old one says: 65 12 6 909 882

2002-2004
    BMW Business CD.

2005-2006
    BMW Business CD.
    Plays MP3s.

The three are interchangeable, except the antenna connector is different between the Blaupunkt and the Alpine. Your 323 probably came with the Blaupunkt. You can swap it out for a newer Alpine but you'll need to get an adapter for the antenna.

I don't think there exists an antenna adapter go put an older head unit in a newer car - not that anyone would ever want to.
    thanks...makes sense.