Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft U-Joint

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i

Driveshaft U-Joint

Could someone explain to me what this part is or if it goes by another name? The mechanic I got to diagnose my car told me that I needed a new rear U-Joint. I do most of my repairs myself but I have no clue what a rear U-Joint is. I'm getting a lot of vibration--especially in the backseat--when I accelerate so I assume that this U-Joint is the culprit. Can anyone help clarify this issue for me?
    1982 320i E21 Coupe, Manual, Cashmere Metallic, 162K+ miles (Daily Driver)
    1997 318i E36 Sedan, Manual, Black, 388K+ miles (RIP)

My Cars
    A white one
    This is the rear U-joint;

1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D
    The hours your BMW spends parked....you don't get those back.

My Cars
    E36 328is
    I have the same problem and non of the U-joints can be replaced individually. The entire driveshaft must be replaced. I will be doing this exact thing this coming weekend. I got a used one in a very good shape with good Central Bearing from Bavarian Auto Recycling. While there, I will be replacing Trany mounts, Guibo, central guide bushing, and all self-locking nuts.

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    Can this part cause rattling and vibration when accelerating? How much did you pay for your used driveshaft replacement part? Is there a DIY guide for this fix? Do you have to use a lift for this fix?

My Cars
    18 LCI M2 BSM MT
    Absolutely.

Thankfully never had a bad ujoint in the BMW, but I got them all the time in my Jeep and a bad one causes those exact symptoms. Fortunately Jeep's have replaceable ujoints.

My Cars
    96 328i, 05 X3 3.0i
    Wonder if the 'shaft can be taken to a drivetrain shop and rebuilt there, or if it's really a no-replace U-joint....I mean, BMW's gotta get it in there somehow....right??
    Knowledge isn't necessarily knowing the answer, but knowing where to find the answer.
    <font face = "BMWE36">Oh duh, html is disabled</font>

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    It'd be nice right? I'm 24 years old and I ain't made of money. I think I'm going to start preparing for this project soon. I guess I'm going to start trolling the Internets for a good deal on a used driveshaft

geminiys: How much did you pay for your used driveshaft replacement part? Is there a DIY guide for this fix? Do you have to use a lift for this fix?
    Last edited by Hagbard; 03-04-2008 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328is
    I called them and bargained about refurbished one that they have posted on Ebay for $199.00. They response was $125 plus shipping for a used one in good condition for both U-joints and Central Bearing. I agreed. Being in California the shipping was only $22. the difference between refurbished and used is painted and bew Central Bearing. After talking to several mechanics, no one seen a Central Bearing going bad on bimmers yet. Bavarian shipped me the exact driveshaft from the same model car that I have.

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    I bought a used rear driveshaft from a 1997 318i for $182.00 from an outfit in Mobile AL called Quality Auto Parts. I have a money back guarantee if I don't like the part so I feel good about it. Now all I have to do is find a mechanic who'll let me use his lift for a weekend!

My Cars
    E36 328is
    What do you mean rear driveshaft? Is it the whole assembly from trany to differential or just a portion of it?
    You do need to replace the entire thing as there weight balancers and geometry is adjusted for the entire assembly. Also, if 2 pieces are ever reassembled, the timing marks must be put in place for exact fit putting it back together.
    Bavarians selling 318 driveshafts for 179 referbished. I bet a used one will go for $100 if you talk to them.

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 /95 avus m3

center bearing

I would be willing to bet that you are in need of a center bearing and not u joints i run some pretty high numbers in my e36 with full monoball setup and solid motor,tranny,diff,subframe mounts and still havent managed to wear out the u's and i drive the car very hard but im sure you have gotten at least a second opion on this problem just my $.02

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by geminiys View Post
    What do you mean rear driveshaft? Is it the whole assembly from trany to differential or just a portion of it?
    You do need to replace the entire thing as there weight balancers and geometry is adjusted for the entire assembly. Also, if 2 pieces are ever reassembled, the timing marks must be put in place for exact fit putting it back together.
    Bavarians selling 318 driveshafts for 179 referbished. I bet a used one will go for $100 if you talk to them.
    I mean "driveshaft." I just added "rear" because it's located near the "rear." The site I ordered from seems reputable enough. This is new territory for me. I am learning about driveshafts as I go and I'm collecting parts as I go as well. I figured I'd go ahead and get the driveshaft since it's the pivotal part. I'm assuming I may as well get a new driveshaft support w/ bearing and a new driveshaft bushing as well as a new flex joint. Does anyone know of a good DIY guide for this procedure that includes proper torque specifications?

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by restricted View Post
    I would be willing to bet that you are in need of a center bearing and not u joints i run some pretty high numbers in my e36 with full monoball setup and solid motor,tranny,diff,subframe mounts and still havent managed to wear out the u's and i drive the car very hard but im sure you have gotten at least a second opion on this problem just my $.02
    Thanks for your thoughts. After a lot of research and conversations with a couple of mechanics, I am convinced that my problem is a bad U-Joint. Everyone I've spoken to on this site and in my research has pretty much agreed that the center bearings on the E36 don't really go bad in most cases. I am planning to go ahead and replace the guibo though. After 265,000 miles it's probably time.

My Cars
    97 E36 sedan
    I have seen a video of a feller FORCE changing his u joints and worked until he decided to do a pro stock burn out and snapped it. Problem was it was a hollow greasable u joint and couldn't take the torque of a stationary rear diff. He changed it once again and taking it easy on it. I have vibration in the rear u joint and i am looking for a non greasable u joint to replace mine. Im not buying someone else's wore out junk for ump-teen million dollars just to have to do it anyway. I will find link and put it here soon as i can find it again along with the part number for u joint.....IT CAN BE DONE.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    E36 U joints can be replaced. I've done a good amount of them. Not for the amateur back yard hobbyist to try.

1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    E36 U joints can be replaced. I've done a good amount of them. Not for the amateur back yard hobbyist to try.

Can't see pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post

Pay your Photobucket bill bub

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    Pay your Photobucket bill bub
    He's boosted,

Not a necessary bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Acezbak View Post
    I have seen a video of a feller FORCE changing his u joints and worked until he decided to do a pro stock burn out and snapped it. Problem was it was a hollow greasable u joint and couldn't take the torque of a stationary rear diff. He changed it once again and taking it easy on it. I have vibration in the rear u joint and i am looking for a non greasable u joint to replace mine. Im not buying someone else's wore out junk for ump-teen million dollars just to have to do it anyway. I will find link and put it here soon as i can find it again along with the part number for u joint.....IT CAN BE DONE.
    This will be great because the guy you responded to who posted in 2008 might still be waiting.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i
    What's the part number for the u joint you used?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxTheLunchBox View Post
    What's the part number for the u joint you used?

You replied 4 years after the guy that replied 9 years after the guy that asked first.

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    You replied 4 years after the guy that replied 9 years after the guy that asked first.
    He could wait 13 years for his question to make it back in time or he could do a quick search... this took 3 seconds... not even google but lame a$$ duck duck go

Screenshot_20210707-224943.png

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    incase anyone comes to this thread, you can diy replace the u joint and there is a guy who shows it on a e46 which will work on the e36 with the proper u joint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4qf8MSEGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast