Thread: X5 V12 conversion

My Cars
    2004 X5

X5 V12 conversion

Has anyone tried to recreate the X5 Lemans conversion yet? Have been thinking about the S54 with a supercharger or turbo setup but as others have mentioned concerned about driveability issues with low end torque and weight of the X5.

My Cars
    06 Speed 6 // 93 330is
    why not try the older m5 v8, or even the older 7 series v12.
    All men's souls are immortal but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine. -Socrates
    Wake up determined, sleep satisfied. -George Lorimer

My Cars
    2004 X5
    Open to all possibilities. Thought it might be easier with a newer 7 series V12 going into an 04 3.0.

My Cars
    E46 M3, MKV GTI
    The words V12 and Easy do not belong in the same sentence.

Your best bet would be buying an M62 4.4 V8 equipped X5, and then supercharging that.

EDIT: Pre 2004, The Valvtronic Engines are much harder(if not impossible) to supercharge by aftermarket means.

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast455 View Post
    but as others have mentioned concerned about driveability issues with low end torque and weight of the X5.
    Low end tourque, How much does the stock 3.0 have? That handles the weight of the X5 Your adding 100hp/ft tq over the stock 3.0 and people are worried about drivablity....

The problem is to many people try to gues what would happen if you did the swap, they have never done it so they realy have no clue what would happen...

Why dont you ask me...as i am the only person who actually has any experience or knowledge on this swap (well and mdpowered on the board as it is his car).

As im the only one who has done it...

Tourque is not an issue the thing rips, plain and simple...You get more of everything, power, tourque, rmps.

Whats better then an X5 reving past 7k...
    P.Drost
    S50 325IX. - First - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz35Gad_Ejo
    Twin Turbo - S50B32 - Yeah we did it.
    S54 X5 - Yeah That Too -

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    more info pics and vids or ban
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    2004 X5
    Paul sent you an email.

My Cars
    Bmw x5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonLite View Post
    Low end tourque, How much does the stock 3.0 have? That handles the weight of the X5 Your adding 100hp/ft tq over the stock 3.0 and people are worried about drivablity....

The problem is to many people try to gues what would happen if you did the swap, they have never done it so they realy have no clue what would happen...

Why dont you ask me...as i am the only person who actually has any experience or knowledge on this swap (well and mdpowered on the board as it is his car).

As im the only one who has done it...

Tourque is not an issue the thing rips, plain and simple...You get more of everything, power, tourque, rmps.

Whats better then an X5 reving past 7k...
    HI I am new in this forum, I am interested in fitting the v12 E38 engine on my x5 E53 as my engine broke due to chain, I would like to get steps on how to fit v12 E38 motor on my car plz or any better swap, bt it has to BMW motor nothing else

My Cars
    z3
    N62 4.8 is the best bang for the buck swap you can do on an E53. N62 4.8 makes the same torque as the M73 V12, but earlier in the RPM band and for longer and is an aluminum block whereas the V12 is iron block. E53 came with the N62 from the factory so it is trivial to install in one

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    N62 4.8 is the best bang for the buck swap you can do on an E53. N62 4.8 makes the same torque as the M73 V12, but earlier in the RPM band and for longer and is an aluminum block whereas the V12 is iron block. E53 came with the N62 from the factory so it is trivial to install in one
    The BMW M70 V12 (1987) and all subsequent V12s ( M73- N73- N74) use an aluminum block and heads.