Thread: Hidden VIN number?

My Cars
    BMW-Less

Angry Hidden VIN number?

Ok, I pulled a Tommy Boy and dropped paper down the front of the dash and it is covering the vin plate in the windshield.

I have tried about everything short of pulling down the dash or replacing the windshield to get it out.

The paper is rectangular and I can't get my fingers on it.

I have tried a vacume and it does blow around a bit, but always retuns to the VIN plate. Is this illegal? My last idea is to put something sticky down there and pull it back out, any ideas on what to do here? Thanks.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Air compressor and air hose, blow it out. Worked for me.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    m3, 335d, 335i, g500
    Try taking a piece of card stock or cover stock (some sort of heavy weight thick paper) and slid it around until you can get it to move. Same thing happened to me except it was a movie ticket stub, big pain in the ass to get out.

"It never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side." - Charles Manson

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    Originally posted by Croak
    Air compressor and air hose, blow it out. Worked for me.
    I will give that a shot. I only dropped one thing down there, but when trying to fish it out, it appears the previous own got at least two parking stubs down there and a receipt. I will give the air compressor a shot.

My Cars
    ///M3
    When this happened to me...I forgot what I did, but I think I either shoved one of those thin metal rulers in there and got the paper off of the VIN tag, or a long thin NOT too sharp knife.
    Basically anything long and thin will work.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    a ruler works well. you could try getting under the paper with the ruler by coming in at an angle (from the passenger side) and then just scooping out. it worked for me.

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    I didn't realize that this has happened to so many people!! I will try all ideas. The paper can be blown to the middle, but always seems to gravitate back to the VIN.

My Cars
    '93 Toyota Pickup 4x4
    Originally posted by AudioMan
    I didn't realize that this has happened to so many people!!
    LOL!

I didn't realize this was such a common occurrence either.

There has been a piece of paper covering the VIN on my car since I purchased it earlier this year.

I am in no rush to remove it though, as covering your VIN# is a good idea since it rules out the chance that a thief could have keys made for your car.

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    Is there any kind of legality issue not displaying your VIN. Wouldn't a policeman look at it kind of funny and possibly consider your car stolen?

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    You can get a ticket for it if the cop is anal, but no serious trouble because they WILL get that paper off there if there's any doubt, and they will do it without damaging the car if possible.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Just leave it there. It's not illegal. I like mine covered so no one can see my vin when I am parked.

My Cars
    '03 330i ZHP, '01 330i
    I had one there on my old 325is. When some kid came to look at it when I tried to sell it he freaked out thinking I was trying to scam him. (Which kind of pissed me off since we have/had mutual friends.)

In the end I beleive I used some type of thin wire to get undernieth the paper and press it up against the glass as I drew the wire out. It worked.

I traded the car anyways.

Tip of the day: I saw on tv the other week that leaving a bsn card over the vin is a trick that people use who are about to have their cars reposessed.
    '10 335i

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i
    whats a bsn card? Bull Shit Number?

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    dude i felt like a genius when i did it. i took my ruler, a very thin one, and took paper and made a sort of hook at the end. more like a pocket. i took tape and taped one of the sides shut and i taped the where i folded it, double fold, to give it reinforcement. i took the ruler and put it in the pocket and slide the ruler and the paper down the crack. i wiggled it around until the paper that was stuck caught on the pocket and i pulled it up. it took care of the obstruction and removed the paper as well.

good luck
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    You can also piggyback 3-4 post-it notes sticky-side down. Same deal.
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I currently have the same exact problem. My school requires a parking sticker and I didn't want to have it pasted to my windshield, so I just laid it between the dash and the windshield. Nonetheless, it worked itself down and as of right now is covering the VIN tag with the word "STUDENT" showing in that entire VIN area. You would think that it was purposely placed there due to the precise lining upand centering of the word.

I did try to get it out when it first happened a few months ago, but was unsuccessul. I tried using a plastic kitchen spatula, and while it did get down there I couldn't get it to pull the sticker up. Afraid if I tried any harder that I would potentially scratch the dashboard, I just gave up.

I'll definitely try the above mentioned solutions eventually, except that I haven't had the patience to mess around with it after the first attempt as of yet.
    '99 ///M3 13.766 @ 100.12
    Gruppe M style CF intake, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Kosei K1's, Motorsport side molding badges, Rieger gt cup front spoiler, OEM ///M5 trunk lip spoiler, 6000k HID+Predator Chromium angel eyes w/parking light delete, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks, Eibach springs, Rogue Engineering RSM's

My Cars
    1997 M3
    "Hidden VIN number"

Vehicle identification number number

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    I've had a dealer service card stuck in that gap between the windshield and dash for the past 7 years. It only bothered me for a while.

Hahaha.. at least no one can just take a look at the my VIN and tell me that I have a non M3 now.

Jon

Originally posted by AudioMan
    Is there any kind of legality issue not displaying your VIN. Wouldn't a policeman look at it kind of funny and possibly consider your car stolen?
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    Originally posted by ///Mpmp1025
    dude i felt like a genius when i did it. i took my ruler, a very thin one, and took paper and made a sort of hook at the end. more like a pocket. i took tape and taped one of the sides shut and i taped the where i folded it, double fold, to give it reinforcement. i took the ruler and put it in the pocket and slide the ruler and the paper down the crack. i wiggled it around until the paper that was stuck caught on the pocket and i pulled it up. it took care of the obstruction and removed the paper as well.

good luck

Ok McGyver, I will attempt to follow this method too. It seems as if some of the paper went down into the window, and is somehow working it's way into the actual dash. It is hard to explain, but if you put your fingers down as far as they go, you will feel the dash end and another piece go under that end point. The paper is working it's way into that spot. I could always just smash the W/S and get a new one put in, then take the papers out while they are working. Well, that would cost $100 for the deductible, so maybe it is not such a great idea.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Wow, maybe someone should consult BMW for a recall as this is such a common occurance? lol

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    I used a dental pick to work it out...it worked...dental picks are handy for many things...lol

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    popsicle stick with duct tape wadded at the end.

My Cars
    95 M3, 05 F-150 STX
    A string with a piece of gum on the end. lol.

I'm sorry, but this thread is funny.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Same thing hapened to me.

When i bought the car i didn't notice it, but after a couple of days this yellow paper caught my eye.

It has since moved out of the way of the VIN so I don't bother myself with it.

I'll have to look and see if it is visible. Maybe I'll feel ambitious enough to pull it out.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

Same thing happened to me. A burst of air (canned air used to clean computers and such) got it right out of there.
    1998 M3/2