Thread: 2 air ducts under seat?

My Cars
    '99 M3

2 air ducts under seat?

Is it possible for small loose items to slide far enough into these ducts under hard braking? I couldn't find my lighter last night and alot of times it falls out of my pocket when I am driving and falls down behind the front seat.

Since I slowed down rather hard that same night, I'm wondering if it could've possibly slid into one of the two openings. I looked in there with the glovebox flashlight and reached my hand as far as I could, but I didn't see anything, so is it possible that it could have wedged itself further in, and if it did is there a risk of it self igniting and starting a fire?

Its also a possibility that it fell out of my pocket upon exiting the car, since that happens alot too, but I might not have heard it this time because I parked right next to some grass and I wouldn't have heard it fall if it did. So, hopefully I just dropped it somewhere outside of the car.
    '99 ///M3 13.766 @ 100.12
    Gruppe M style CF intake, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Kosei K1's, Motorsport side molding badges, Rieger gt cup front spoiler, OEM ///M5 trunk lip spoiler, 6000k HID+Predator Chromium angel eyes w/parking light delete, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks, Eibach springs, Rogue Engineering RSM's

My Cars
    2001 IR M3, 2004 Yamaha R6
    very possible its in there. i've heard of cell phones goin' up those things before. good luck finding it.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    My g/f lost an earring in one of them. After removing the seats, and looking in there with a flashlight, I discovered those are a deadly trap.

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Might have to modify my next ones with a screen over them to keep shit out.
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Originally posted by toddman35
    Might have to modify my next ones with a screen over them to keep shit out.
    Yeah, thats a real crappy design!:

With all of the things that manage to find their way under the seats, you'd think BMW would recognize this and put some kind of protective device over the openings.

Hell, everything I lose from here on out, I'll be probably wondering if they somehow ended up in the damn floor ducts!
    '99 ///M3 13.766 @ 100.12
    Gruppe M style CF intake, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Kosei K1's, Motorsport side molding badges, Rieger gt cup front spoiler, OEM ///M5 trunk lip spoiler, 6000k HID+Predator Chromium angel eyes w/parking light delete, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks, Eibach springs, Rogue Engineering RSM's