Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have a Stromung Exhaust on their E36?

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    If the wheel/tire sits any further in towards the exhaust it will be a challenge. With stock wheels/tires I have probably less than 1" clearance IIRC.
    Oof. I need my rubber. Thanks for the info.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynegro View Post
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Just ordered a Stromung muffler for my E36 m3 with around a 113k on it. Did most of you guys get a exhaust hanger kit with new gaskets and nuts, etc. or just reuse what you could? If so, which kit is the one to get?
    I used the OEM hangars. They push the muffler towards the outside of the car. I also had one of the tips melt the OEM plastic diffuser slightly, but no big deal IMO. My 255 Federal tires with +42 wheels caused rubbing on the muffler, but nothing to worry about.

Some sound clips:

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    I used the OEM hangars. They push the muffler towards the outside of the car. I also had one of the tips melt the OEM plastic diffuser slightly, but no big deal IMO. My 255 Federal tires with +42 wheels caused rubbing on the muffler, but nothing to worry about.

Some sound clips:

Your car sounds badass! I want the tips of the stromung to be flush with the rear bumper diffuser, as close to the OEM tips position as possible. Will the OEM hangers accomplish this?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Your car sounds badass! I want the tips of the stromung to be flush with the rear bumper diffuser, as close to the OEM tips position as possible. Will the OEM hangers accomplish this?
    I believe they will. If you look at my picture above, you can see that the Stromung hangers are parallel with the length of the car, and the OEM hangers are essentially just clamps. So there is fore/aft adjustment in that you can slide the Stromung hangers in the stock mounts, then clamp them down. My tips sit nice for my liking, but I believe there is room to push the exhaust forward a bit if so desired.

You can see the Stromung hangers here, compared to how the stock exhaust mounts. The stock hangers clamp onto the seam of the stock exhaust, whereas they clamp to the Stromung tube hangers.

These are the staggered tips, by the way. They also offer straight tips, but it would lead the outside pipe to sit further aft from the bumper/diffuser.

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 04-23-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If they don't line up side to side you can always get some washers and a longer bolt to put through the outer exhaust hanger to force the muffler more towards the center of the car using the washers as spacers. Fitment of exhausts can vary from exhaust to exhaust and car to car.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Thanks for the write up, that will definitely come in handy when I get my exhaust installed. I like the way yours fits. Some of the other pictures I see look like the exhaust is sticking out way to far and looks tacky imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    If they don't line up side to side you can always get some washers and a longer bolt to put through the outer exhaust hanger to force the muffler more towards the center of the car using the washers as spacers. Fitment of exhausts can vary from exhaust to exhaust and car to car.
    That's a good idea, thank you.

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    I was just re-reading the responses and is it just me or is the diameter of the Stromung pipes smaller than the stock ones? Or is it just the angle of the picture? Exhaust is suppose to arrive tomorrow and gonna try to get it installed this weekend. What's a reasonable price to get it done? The few shops I've called, quoted me between $100-200.
    Last edited by Waynegro; 04-25-2019 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I was just re-reading the responses and is it just me or is the diameter of the Stromung pipes smaller than the stock ones? Or is it just the angle of the picture? Exhaust is suppose to arrive tomorrow and gonna try to get it installed this weekend. What's a reasonable price to get it done? The few shops I've called, quoted me between $100-200.
    I think you're right, but the stock exhaust does neck down at the connection with the cats, whereas the Stromung is a more consistent size throughout. Here's a pic of that end.

Here's a pic of the cat connection. I believe the Stromung is at least the same size as the cat pipes, if not slightly larger.

2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    So I had stromung and it was too much drone for me at 3k rpm. Lovely deep sound off the line or screaming WOT for sure. What’s more interesting is that once I went back to stock M3 muffler I noticed a pickup in midrange power and RPMs wouldn’t fall off as quickly during lazy shifts keeping me more in the powerband. Some backpressure is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by verobeach97; 04-26-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    So I had stromung and it was too much drone for me at 3k rpm. Lovely deep sound off the line or screaming WOT for sure. What’s more interesting is that once I want back to M3 muffler I noticed a pickup in midrange power and RPMs wouldn’t fall off as quickly during lazy shifts keeping me more in the powerband. Some backpressure is good!

That's interesting, most people say that the stromung doesn't drone, but a few have commented on the droning. Guess I'll be finding out soon. Hopefully it's not much of an issue. So possibly sacrificing some mid range power for upper rpm gains? Stromung claims a 6hp gain, but I doubt that's the case. I just wanted a bit more aggressive sound and it does shave some weight from the stock muffler. I initially wanted the Dinan exhaust but couldn't justify paying double the price for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Stromung is aggressive muffler with great sound. I think you'll like it, I'm 38 -so maybe some age discount there. It does seem like the powerband shifts higher due to lower backpressure - typically the case for most aftermarket exhausts.
    Also I don't have cats so could be louder from that? Let us know your impressions! It does take 500+ miles for it break-in and sound deeper.
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I'm pretty sensitive to a car being too loud, especially one that has a pretty stock appearance, and I don't find the Stromung objectionable at all. IIRC it even quiets down a bit as it collects some soot in the muffler over a few thousand miles. The rest of my exhaust is stock. I love mine.
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Got the Stromung installed this weekend and it fit perfectly and it substantially lighter than the stock muffler. The construction of the muffler appears to be top notch. I love the rumble at idle and it sounds pretty throaty and composed when you get on it. Doesn't seem to drone much if at all on the freeway, but I don't have much seat time with it yet. Don't have a opinion one way or another on power increase or not yet. It definitely makes my car more fun to drive and was the thing my car was missing. So far for $650 it seems to be top notch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waynegro; 04-28-2019 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Got the Stromung installed this weekend and it fit perfectly and it substantially lighter than the stock muffler. The construction of the muffler appears to be top notch. I love the rumble at idle and it sounds pretty throaty and composed when you get on it. Doesn't seem to drone much if at all on the freeway, but I don't have much seat time with it yet. Don't have a opinion one way or another on power increase or not yet. It definitely makes my car more fun to drive and was the thing my car was missing. So far for $650 it seems to be top notch.
    Glad you're liking it! Your experience mirrors mine. I think it's just what the car needed. I've had mine for 4 years now and wouldn't want to be without it.
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12