Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a Stromung Exhaust on their E36?

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG

Anybody have a Stromung Exhaust on their E36?

I will be picking up an E36 M3 next month. I was looking into the Stromung Exhaust.

Does anybody have clips and/or can tell me the loudness at idle, cruising and WOT? I am the type that likes my cars to be relatively quiet at idle and cruising and incredibly loud at WOT. When I had my 95 M3 with AA track pipe and AA GenIII, that exhaust note was PERFECT.

Any feedback on the Stromung? TIA

My Cars
    95' M3 3.2
    I personally do not own a Stromung, but have heard their loudness. It is a very good choice for exhaust, deep throaty note when WOT and not too loud at idle. Try and find someone in your area who has it, internet sound clips do not do justice for any exhaust system.

My Cars
    335D, E30 318ci,E30 M3
    stromung owner right here

IMO best exhaust made for an e36 m3 not too loud when you dont want it to be and loud when you do. no droning at cruising. WOT is pure sex...if only you were a little closer id give you a ride and such

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Thanks, guys. I contacted another member that I knew had this exhaust and heard clips, just what I was looking for, perfect.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    97' M3
    Well, I think you might find a sufficient amount of answers on my thread I posted on M3Forum. I put the exhaust on two days ago. Love It!
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=198945

My Cars
    '97 M3, '96 Legacy

My Cars
    4 m52s,m50,m20,s52
    Sounds really good on the clips.

Cheif Senior Hitman Engineer 1st Class

BfcOT Mafia

My Cars
    1998 M3
    I'm one of many e36 m3 owners who love their stromung exhaust. Not too loud, but throaty.
    2002 m5 clearwater metallic/caramel --- conforti software, corsa rsc exhaust with x pipe, 35% tint, uuc ssk w/ dssr, sachs hd clutch, beastpower rear sway bar mounts, powerflex bushings, clear bra, black grills

My Cars
    82 E21
    I am Stromung owner and I love it!

IMHO it is the best value exhaust available for the E36 with the perfect amount of noise when you want it, no droning and a perfect fit.

There are videos available at understeer.com (happy customer) that will give you an idea of how it sounds. Note the car in the videos is also running a cold-air intake that ads its own tone to the whole package.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    When I was debating which exhaust to get these videos were the ones that made my mind up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPGS0WozJIo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vhr1xtPV5Zg
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CwnPc7A-big

Love the sound of mine.
    1995 ///M3 Cosmos Black/Anthracite M-Cross/Amaretta

My Cars
    '91 M5-'02 EP3-'86 528e
    this company sells the exhaust and the youtube videos are from this company as well...
    http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-exhaust.shtml

a useful thread in exhausts...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=753952
    BFc.OT Poker Club #002grey font is grey
    awwsheeet is a scammer...click!

starting a new trend with the right hand sig.
    (Some posts may have offensive topics or pictures) - so stop complaining!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    I love my stromung. It idles quite but screams at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFXgDlmIro

1995 M3 Avus Blue
    Current Mods:
    3.2 S52 OBD1 Conversion::M50 Intake::Custom CAI::Performance Headers::Track Pipe::Stromung Exhaust::Turner Sways::Evo 3 w/ DSSR::UUC TM's and TME's::AA DSB::3.64 LSD::Fan Delete::Turner Motorsport Fuel Pump Kit::SS Brake Lines::Ground Control Track/School Kit::Ground Control Camber/Caster plates::X Brace::THR Front Lower Control Arm Mounts::ZKW with 5000 Xenon::ACS III Reps::98 Black Interior

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    I got a Stromung on my E36 M3 many years ago from the very first group buy for them on BFC. I just sold the car with the exhaust on it 3 weeks ago!!! I loved the exhaust, although I felt it got louder over the years to the point that I was starting to get slightly sick of it...or maybe I was just getting older

However, on a nice day, WOT to redline...never failed to bring a smile to my face. It's one of the best sounds ever. Now, I have a stock exhaust on an E46 M3...E46 exhausts are so damn expensive!! And you have to buy the muffler, then midpipe, then x-pipe...blah blah
    1997 M3/4/5 - Arctic Silver/Dove Grey
    2003 530i - Black Sapphire/Black - Sold
    2003.5 M3 Vert/SMG - Carbon Black/Black - Sold
    1997 M3/4/5 - Cosmos Black/Dove Grey -Sold
    1993 325i/5 - Jet Black/Beige - RIP

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    I heart Stromung... This will be the exhaust I get when I finally get one. Nice and light too!

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Stromung is a very nice piece however I just feel that for the price it sells for, they should have made it a bit louder. The tone is great but if it were a bit louder it would be perfect.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Yeah, they're "okay"

The thing about loudness is it's very subjective. If they were louder, then some folks would be even happier while others would be saying, "for that price it should be more mellow and classy, not so loud!" Personally I wouldn't give up Stromung system on my M3 for any other system, I think it's absolutely perfect.

However, if you want loud, we've got free shipping on the UUC System-U, which now start at only $499
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 335
    Drone at around 2k rpm. But you get used to it. Idles very quiet. Very nice belt at WOT, but not rediculously loud. Much better sounding than my previous Supersprint.

My Cars
    '91 M5-'02 EP3-'86 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer95 View Post
    Yeah, they're "okay"

The thing about loudness is it's very subjective. If they were louder, then some folks would be even happier while others would be saying, "for that price it should be more mellow and classy, not so loud!" Personally I wouldn't give up Stromung system on my M3 for any other system, I think it's absolutely perfect.

However, if you want loud, we've got free shipping on the UUC System-U, which now start at only $499
    haha...you made an appearance!!!

your Z4 looks great with those wheels btw. and your avus is a prime example. one thing i noticed in the in-car video with the M3 + stromung is that you are still able to hear the characteristic bmw engine sound in low revs without the exhaust droning over it. from an enthusiast and long-time bmw owner's perspective, this exhaust is absolutely the best, hands down.
    BFc.OT Poker Club #002grey font is grey
    awwsheeet is a scammer...click!

starting a new trend with the right hand sig.
    (Some posts may have offensive topics or pictures) - so stop complaining!

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Just ordered a Stromung muffler for my E36 m3 with around a 113k on it. Did most of you guys get a exhaust hanger kit with new gaskets and nuts, etc. or just reuse what you could? If so, which kit is the one to get?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynegro View Post
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Just ordered a Stromung muffler for my E36 m3 with around a 113k on it. Did most of you guys get a exhaust hanger kit with new gaskets and nuts, etc. or just reuse what you could? If so, which kit is the one to get?
    It's not a bad idea to replace those items while you're in there. Here's a diagram. If the rubber hangers and rubber support (#7 and #8) are still fine and not tearing apart then just reuse them. If they're slightly cracking but still structurally sound, use your own judgement, just remember to replace them sometime in the future. #3 and #4 are the two other gaskets that go from the muffler to the cats. They get grimy as you can imagine so just wire brush them off and as long as they're straight and not incredible pitted/burned, you can reuse those too. If you don't have a leak now, I wouldn't expect a leak after you put your Stromung on.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I replaced mine because I knew my rubber mounts were torn. They weren't expensive or hard to change, so you might as well. Also, the Stromung is a lot lighter than the factory exhaust, so the new mounts should last a long long time.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    Thanks for the info gents.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Does anyone know if these fit well with wider wheels, like 17x9/9.5 w/255 r-comps? I'd prefer not to have to "massage" it to fit.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    Does anyone know if these fit well with wider wheels, like 17x9/9.5 w/255 r-comps? I'd prefer not to have to "massage" it to fit.
    If the wheel/tire sits any further in towards the exhaust it will be a challenge. With stock wheels/tires I have probably less than 1" clearance IIRC.

1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    That right there is exactly why I opted for the Borla when I had it down to the Borla vs the Stromung. While I think my 17x9's with wide 100-200TW 245 street tires would clear, if I ever want to go wider or run slicks it might hit.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 04-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast