Thread: Thermostat Replaced Engine Light Still On

My Cars
    1985 Mercedes 300D-1984 Mercedes 300TD-2001 325it

Thermostat Replaced Engine Light Still On

Okay so in a previous post I was having problems with my cooling system. I ended up having a BMW specialty shop redo the whole cooling system, hoses, thermostat, reservoir, radiator, waterpump, etc. Ever since they "finished" the work I've been getting a Service Engine Light (SES). This light wasn't coming on before, only the coolant light. The shop here in Jacksonville said it was a thermostat code but refused to give my wife the codes when she asked for them... I've taken it back 4 times to have it reset and yesterday I left the car with them so they could "Replace the thermostat with a new one". I left the shop last night with my car and the light came on immediately. I've spent over 6 hours running this car back and forth, making phone calls, etc and it's pissing me off.

Has anyone had this SES light issue with the thermostat? I'm going to Autozone to have them give me the code without resetting the light. Then I'm going to drop it at the shop and have them keep it until they can assure me the light won't come on.

My Cars
    Can anyone help? Still having the same problem. I have not received my car back from the shop yet. They've tried a couple different thermostats and it throws the same code. We need our car.

My Cars
    2001 4.4 X5
    sounds like the conector or wiring is shorted out that plugs into the thermostat

My Cars
    2001 330ci blk/blk sport/premium
    any other codes maybee? sensors?
    Its a bimmer

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Sounds like you got a faulty shop trying to reset the codes they arn't even doing a darn thing if you ask me...I hope you didn't pay to much money for the replacement/labor for it all.

My Cars
    95 750, 02 330, 05 M
    Yes...go to autozone and get a free code read from them...once you have that...search for the particular codes that are pulled on here and I'm sure you will find what the problem is...but if they refused to give your wife the code/s...never ever go back there...it does sound like they are scamming you...
    - Chad Cutter
    1995 750iL - 2002 330Ci - 2005 M3 - 2006 F-150 KR - 1965 Mustang

hooRAH is offline Certified Ziptie Mechanic
    My Cars
    01 330Ci 5spd
    Where have you been taking the car to? Im local to south florida.

I actually had the code (P0128 IIRC) come on my 330Ci for a thermostat malfunction. While I've been waiting for the part to come in the mail, I reset the light, and it stayed gone for about 2 weeks. Then it came back on.

I mentioned this story because when the light is reset, it may take a long while for the code to trigger again due to a slow-to-repsond tstat. The shop MAY have thought they could just reset the light and send you on your way, and not have done anything. It looks like you said you took it there to have the lights reset a few times, but they may have said they replaced the tstat and not actually done it. Take a look under the hood at the center of the front of the engine - follow the top radiator hose to the tstat housing. Does it look old and grungy, or does it look like its recently been replaced?

On the other hand, like someone else mentioned, the connector may be loose. Other than those two things, I can't think of anything else it could be, its a very simple system.
    01 330Ci 5spd / 07 Honda Pilot EX-L
    Will read/reset SRS codes in South Florida for beer money

My Cars
    Thanks for the input guys. First off, it seems like the shop is trying to track down and take care of the problem so at this point I won't turn this into a shop bashing thread. All of the components that they said they replaced do appear to be new along with the parts I installed. They gave me the code the other day but they left the P0 off the front of it and I don't have it with me right now. It was only 3 digits though... They have had the car for nearly two weeks total now and we really need it back. The last time I spoke to them they said that they thought they possibly got a bad batch of Tstats because the one they replaced it with was throwing the same code...

All I know is it wasn't throwing the code when I brought it there. They replaced the T stat and now it's throwing the code. It's taken them nearly two weeks without any progress. I'll probably post the shops name by Friday if they don't take care of this. My wife and I wondered whether they replaced the Thermostat the first day I got the car back (about ten days ago)... Maybe karma is catching up with them.

My Cars
    sanbyaku sanjuu
    I had to reset my code twice after I replaced my tstat

BFC: The land of BMW nerds, snobs, noobs, thread jackers, cheapskates, clear corner modders, small wheel lovers, and people who don't know how to use "your/you're"

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i, 2007 gsxr 6
    it could be the actual plud (sensor) the reads off of your t-stat. check out pelicanparts.com and go to the diy section and look up t-stat itll show u the plug and then u can order a replacement off the same site. hope this works for ya!

'02 325i tinted 25%, smoked all around, ccfl angels
    my other ride: 07 suzuki gsxr6, smoked out, hid 6000k conversion, yoshi full exhaust, pig spotter 2 mirrors W/leds
    ''young. fly. flashy''

My Cars
    Well my car is still at the shop. They have now replaced parts that are brand new that both they installed and I had installed. Still no fix. The only other thing they can think of replacing is the radiator. Which was also recently replaced with new. They hooked it up side by side to a computer system (not sure the name of it) with another e46 to get a read out of cold start operating temps and my car was 15-20 degrees hotter off of a cold start? It doesn't make much sense because the temp gauge seemed to be lagging for me when I would start it in the morning.

Now my question is if they plan on charging me for replacing the parts I already paid for (everything) that are in. My light wasn't on before I brought the car to them. They replaced the T stat and now it's on... This could get interesting...
    Last edited by e30collector; 03-10-2008 at 08:13 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    I'm going through the exact same thing. I drive a 2006 BMW 325i and my thermostat code, I believe p0128 or something, keeps throwing. First I took my car to Goodyear because I know and trust the mechanics that work their. We replaced the thermostat the first time with one from O'Reillys auto parts. I drove the car for a week and the code came back on. So I take it back to them and they replace it with one from the BMW dealership I normally go to. This time it stays off for a month but once again comes back on. So last week I take it to the BMW dealership and they replace it one again no charge saying it was just a bad thermostat. Today April 7 2015, I find myself with the check engine light back on and I'll be willing to bet my whole savings that it's the thermostat code again. Mind you, I've already replaced my radiator, my and my 900$ electronic water pump -_- when I get off with I'm dropping my car off at BMW again so I'll keep you posted on what they have to say because it sounds like we are in the same sinking boat.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i X-Drive

Unhappy Having the same issue also

I have a 328i and I'm going through the same thing. I got a tstat from auto parts store still had the code. Went and bought the water pump and tstat from ECS tuning put that in did the whole learning process heard the water pump running and then after that started my car everything was working great fans weren't running like they did went down the road maybe a mile and the SES light came on and doing everything like I didn't even change it. So for the past month I have been clearing the light before I even start my car every time. So I have no idea what else to do can anyone explain what else to do I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out. This is my first beamer personally.

Quote Originally Posted by e30collector View Post
    Well my car is still at the shop. They have now replaced parts that are brand new that both they installed and I had installed. Still no fix. The only other thing they can think of replacing is the radiator. Which was also recently replaced with new. They hooked it up side by side to a computer system (not sure the name of it) with another e46 to get a read out of cold start operating temps and my car was 15-20 degrees hotter off of a cold start? It doesn't make much sense because the temp gauge seemed to be lagging for me when I would start it in the morning.

Now my question is if they plan on charging me for replacing the parts I already paid for (everything) that are in. My light wasn't on before I brought the car to them. They replaced the T stat and now it's on... This could get interesting...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It would help to know what codes you're getting currently!
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    First, take your cars to reputable indie shops that specializes in bimmers! Try www.bimrs.org to find a shop in your area. Second, the installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten! These cars’ engine do not tolerate overheating!!! An overheated bimmer engine is an expensive paperweight!!!

Everyone, go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Cooling system parts are located in the engine and radiator sections. Then go to FCPEuro. For each part number you’ll see 3 or 4 different parts listed:
    - BMW ($$$$)
    - OE ($$$)
    - OEM ($$$)
    - aftermarket ($$)

The BMW branded part is the same part sold by the dealer. The OE part is identical to dealer parts as it is made by the supplier of this part to BMW. The OEM part is made by a supplier of parts to BMW but it doesn’t supply this part to BMW.

When it comes to cooling system parts I go with OE parts.

Off the soapbox.

My Cars
    2000 323i E46 wagon, '743.0Csi, '733.0CS, '67 912,
    Quote Originally Posted by 09Blossom328i View Post
    I So I have no idea what else to do can anyone explain what else to do I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out. This is my first beamer personally.
    lly.
    Use the hidden display to read the coolant temperature at idle after driving 5 miles. If it’s less than 90C then grasp the lower hose to check if it’s cold or hot.