Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ARP Main stud issues

My Cars
    None

Arp studs

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Yes! Now i just need to figure out a length... I don't see why i couldn't find cheaper studs... Anything would be better than stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDhorner View Post
    Yes! Now i just need to figure out a length... I don't see why i couldn't find cheaper studs... Anything would be better than stock.
    Thank you, btw

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Give ARP a call with the kit number, they'll tell you. Their tech guys are on the ball.

My Cars
    None
    Mcmaster carr has studs that are left handed to right handed male thread adapters. Is this what I need?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by JDhorner View Post
    Mcmaster carr has studs that are left handed to right handed male thread adapters. Is this what I need?
    No!

There's a whole science on fasteners, but in a nutshell, a coarse thread is used when threading into a softer metal, like aluminum, and some cast iron (the Brits used a comination into ci blocks and heads, sometimes coarse, sometimes fine).

Maybe this was already covered, but it is SOP to thread the studs into a casting by hand, and apply the final torque to the nuts.

ARP always supplys a lube to be used on the threads and underside of the nuts, and their specs reflect that__there's a big difference between that value and a fastener torqued dry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123