Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light, EML, & ASC same time!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan

Check Engine Light, EML, & ASC same time!

Just got in my 99 323i tonight and all of a sudden the check engine, eml, and asc light came on! Last week the EML and ASC light came on at the same time and the car kind of stuttered a little but then they went off and it went away, ran perfectly. I was low on gas tonight when it happened, could that had been the problem? Also stopped and checked the oil and its a little low too. Any suggestions? I think Ill change the oil this weekend, I put some gas in the car and it didnt change anything yet. help please
    thanks

My Cars
    2003 330i, 1999 328i (RIP)
    Alternator.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    Some more info, the car has 90k miles on it, and within the past two months these things have been replaced due to a horrible whistle noise (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=906726)
    Air Filter #13721744869
    Gasket/throttle #11611716174
    Vacuum Vent Valve #11617501566
    Intake boot lower #13511435627
    Air Boot Upper #13541705209
    Air Breather Tube assembly #11611432559

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Any chance you are running down the battery? This will cause "low voltage faults". Before you replace the battery you need to know the condition of your battery then check the charging system for the ability of the alternator to perform under load. If the alternator is functioning properly, then you need to check for draw a good source of powered down draw would be your FSR, you might hear a very slight fan type noise in the cabin when you have the key off. BMW's are extremely sensitive to the charge state of the battery and will start shutting down different control modules in order of their importance to keep the car running. When these shut down you typically get the warning lights you mention.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    ill have the battery checked today, thanks for the tips, whats my 'FSR' ?
    thanks

My Cars
    e46
    I had the same thing happen the other day, something was up with the voltage. I ran the codes and came back with a code for a short in the throttle body. Hooked the car up to a BMW battery charger and it started up fine. Had the dealer clear all the faults on the DME and it's been good so far.

BMWCCA Member#395677

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    checked the battery, its still great, any more ideas?

My Cars
    92´325ic turbo, 07´335i coupe
    couple cars had bad connections on electronic throttle body with these symptoms or bad tb itself ( water contamination).
    it would be easier to read out error codes than just to start throwing in new parts or replace wiring.
    there is no option of changing that part of wiring, all engine wiring has to be changed. i have managed to get wiring from scrapyard, separate tb wiring and just install this on broken engine harness. this car is still running flawlessly

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
    Alternator.

My Cars
    92´325ic turbo, 07´335i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
    no
    where is abs light then?

My Cars
    I dont' remember mine coming on. Can't hurt to have it checked.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    getting the codes read tomorrow morning, will post the results, thanks for the tips, hope this doesnt end up costing too much!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    the codes read were 146 & 119, shop says I need a new throttlebody, thats just according to the codes, they havent got in there and looked yet, any suggestions before i give the go ahead?
    thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    the PCodes were: P1580 & P1770

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by PGillPro View Post
    the codes read were 146 & 119, shop says I need a new throttlebody, thats just according to the codes, they havent got in there and looked yet, any suggestions before i give the go ahead?
    thanks
    P1580-Throttle Valve Mechanically Stuck
    Either DIY or have a shop remove and clean the throttle body before actually replacing it.

BMWCCA Member#395677

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    know where i can find a good diy for removing the throttlebody and cleaning?
    thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    removed the air intake arms and found that the butterfly valve was stuck, after feeling around gave it some pressure and it popped open, sprayed throttle body cleaner in there and its good to go! had the check engine light cleared and the asc and eml lights are gone!

My Cars
    bmw e46 323ci
    hi PGillPRO,

can you please advise if your car did the following:

EML and ASC light off, when engine revs or you set off, both lights come on, car suffers loss of power and hesitates, also runs very lumpy and sounds very poor.

thanks.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    im having the same issue... just recently. I have a tear in the upper intake boot. could that cause it? parts came in today... Ill keep you updated.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    also in other posts I was reading it could be the alternator/battery or a loose connection between the wire harness and the throttle body, or even a faulty wire harness or DME... here is what im going to do. first when I replace the intake tube with the rip today im going to clean the TB, and check the connection. Also I just had to replace the Intake pulse generator (cam position sensor) and the lower connection felt pretty loose. couldnt really see down there but it did take care of the P0340 code "Intake Cam Position Sensor Malfunction" so im guessing its connected ok. and I also got the infamous P1188 "Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to ground" and P1189 "Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to B+" codes but nothing in reguards to the TB codes at all. I have to check what code came up with the SES light this time. I do have the original battery (sadly enough) so its overdue for replacement so that could possibly be the issue??? Im really hoping its something simple like battery or alternator rather then trying to replace a wiring harness or DME... its buggin the heck out of me tho . Ill keep everyone posted as things progress. Any suggestions would be great though thanks.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    I just got done changing my intake tube like 5 minutes ago, also I found the vent off the lower intake tube that runs to the idle regulating valve also was ripped. be sure to check that also.

We will see if this takes care of my problem... (knocks on wood)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    definately didnt fix the problem... not sure yet

My Cars
    1999 328i

ASC, engine, EML lights on at same time

With mine all three come on. I turn off the egnine and wait a few seconds and the ASC and EML go out. After a few more off/on cycles the engine light goes out, too.

My Cars
    e46
    Check your CCV, mine was also torn causing a leak which in turn made the car run rough. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I have everything sorted out. So far so good.

BMWCCA Member#395677

My Cars
    bmw320ci convertible
    hi i have just come across the same problems with my 320 e46 my eml, engine, traction control and amber handbrake light have come on to start with i thort it was because i have had a dvd player fitted few week ago but i have put it back to standard and have same problem,it starts reving by its self ocassionally aswel, i pulled fuse on my radio and it seem to stop it but then started again, lights stay on for few days then go off for few hours could anyone give me any information i would greatly apprecite it thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast