Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Air Spring on E39 Touring

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    Last edited by Guam135i; 09-13-2014 at 01:44 AM.

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

Great write up just done mine very easy and done within the hour. All I will add is that to clarify about the plastic clip you have to squeeze it together lightly and at the same time pull up on the quick connector fitting and it comes off easy if you break the clip you have squeezed it too much together. Also to note there is a gap on the carrier plate where the bottom of the air bag sits on top matched by a small lug on the bottom of the air bag to ease with fitting. I got two from BM parts for £245.70 yesterday delivered next day. Also known as L.A.S Automotive from Sheffield south Yorkshire. Only my left went but found it easier to change both as most likely the drivers would have followed soon. Thanks again for an easy fix great site. Dougie

My Cars
    '99 540iT; Porsche 944
    Thanks Dougie, it would seem that, many of our Touring brothers are still breaking the plastic clips, your directions were simple and direct so I've taken the liberty of adding them to my original post. Thanks for your contribution.

Cheers!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo528 View Post
    If you have a wagon, the access process is slightly different....

My car is a 1999 528it Sport Touring Wagon.

• Lower your rear seats and remove the floor panel directly behind the rear seats. There is one 10mm bolt in the middle rear panel and you must remove the chrome tie down straps. Use a curved pick to remove the plastic cover after lifting up the chrome ring. You will then see two hex bolts that need to be removed. Non-wagons do not have tie downs, just three 10mm bolts.

• Once the cover is removed you can use a flashlight to see the part number of the spring. Sport springs are: 37-12-1-095-81 left , and 82 for right. Check closely whether you have sport or regular springs.

The picture with the rubber ball demonstrates how to hold the air spring in place if you are installing it by yourself. Place the ball in and install clips from above, remove ball, raise control arm to seat and install nut on bottom.

Last edited by Guam135i; 09-13-2014 at 01:45 AM.

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
    Should I replace both air springs at the same time?
    I would say so- How many miles till the next one fails? They are less than $200 and take 20 minutes. You have everything apart already. PS- they are different LEFT AND RIGHT as well as SPORT SUSPENSION VS STANDARD.

PPS. DON'T BREAK THE CLIPS ON TOP OF THE SPRINGS. I'm sure you've read this in many places.
    Last edited by bigMphan; 08-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540iT, (sold) 2000
    Great write up...thanks. I'll be needing this in the next two weeks. Was driving today and suddenly SLS light came on dash and started bouncing like low rider on the freeway. When i pulled over turned ignition off and unlock car, pump turns on then big hisssss!!!! And my Touring is on the ground. :-(
    I'm going on vacation next week, so I'll be tackling it when I get back . I'll be driving my other Touring for the meantime....Yes, I have two Tourings! :-)
    Problem is...ill have to replace 2 sets of rear subframe bushings!!! :-/
    Last edited by eunique; 08-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    2000 528iT

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Just replaced the RR air spring. One constant which I found kinda strange, is that the bottom 13mm bolt that secures the spring to the suspension could not be fully tightened before bottoming out (on both the old & the new spring).

Is this intentional so the bottom plastic 1/2 of the air spring could rotate slightly, thus not stressing the upper rubber 1/2 of the spring, or did the PO put too long of a bolt in there at one time???

My Cars
    2003 525i Touring Sport
    I just finished replacing both air springs on my '03 sport. Thanks to the write up it was unrealistically easy..... Thanks!

My Cars
    99 E39 540iat sport
    Bought the 540it sport couple weeks ago. Everyday it would loudly pump itself up. Yesterday it would make real loud noises (like subwoofer acting up). Today it didnt pump at all and my touring is lower than stupid honda kids. On my way to work on seldom jumps and bumps it would turn on for couple secs and brought it back a bit but then again silence and low as hell. Does it mean the pump is gone? Or it gave up trying and set off as safe mode until i reset the battery? If its the pump i guess its better to convert to coils :/

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring
    I would open the cover and inspect the whole system. It may as well be the leveling sensor which is under the car. If it turns out to be the pump then I would still opt to replace it, even for a used one. Conversion to coils would be probably more expensive and complicated + you loose the convinient system that is usefull when it works
    BMW Addicted

My Cars
    99 E39 540iat sport
    Opened up to inspect the system. No rust or something the bushings did feel a bit loose(that could explain the big noise the pump was making like jumping around). Reconnecting the 7.5a fuse makes the relay click. But nothing more. The two motors or whatever they are on the right were hot, barely could keep finger on them for a second. Does this mean im busted for the 800 replacement?
    Last edited by valtersboze; 10-15-2014 at 10:53 PM.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    I believe the two "motors" are actually the solenoids.

There is a writeup on the UK 5 series board describing operation if I remember correctly.

If they are to hot to touch then you need to work the circuit back from the solenoids and see what is causing them to heat up.

If you aren't comfortable with electronics diagnostics ... you may want to look for a spare (you'll end up with some good spares for future use).

Cheers.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    99 E39 540iat sport
    ok mine is solved. changed the compressor, got one of 2003 740il from ebay.
    do you have the compressor turn on EVERY time you start the car? for a second or so.

what actually happened to mine is this - the system adjusts if car is stopped and engine running (but doesnt do it while driving). my car has no abs module (its dead) so speedo is not working. every time i drive on uneven roads the system tries to adjust as it was stopped . so after a while the compressor just died. probably solenoids were overused during the years too and leaked. replaced whole compressor system and its fine. until i replace the abs module and get speedo working i just removed 7.5A fuse from trunk to disable the system. 2 days and the car height is still the same. fingers crossed, i hope the bags dont leak, on sports model they are 200+ EACH :/

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    Here is a document describing the EHC (Electronic Height Control) system on our SLS tourings (and X5s / 7 series).

EHC SYS.pdf

In the doc, it describes the modes the EHC / SLS works in and when they are operating / adjusting or not (transport, stopped, moving forward, moving reverse). Also takes into account driver's door or rear hatch opening.

Cheers.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528iT
    I did this today along with changing the plugs and I can honestly say I spent about the same amount of time on both tasks.

I was a little intimidated going to change the air springs without printing anything out and not wanting to come back in the house. The write up while very detailed and descriptive, was much more words than I needed; it was shockingly easy. I changed both side in under 30 minutes together, much easier than expected.

Cliff notes:
    Get car in the air with proper support and remove wheels
    Access top of air spring under cargo area
    Bleed out air by turning 10mm colored line nut
    Remove circlips on the top and the 13mm bolt on the bottom of air spring
    Installation is reverse of removal.

Thanks for all the pictures and process write up OP, very nice!
    Last edited by Electricalbox; 11-02-2014 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325, 2000 528iT
    Thanks....

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    I've got mine all apart for full control arm/bushing/ball joint replacement as well as upgrading the front to Ground Control coilovers and did notice quite a bit of dry rot/cracking on the bottom of my SLS rubber boots in the back. Car has about 82k on it and is garaged. I wonder if I should just replace them now while it's all accessible (not that it's difficult later) and see if it helps improve the ride some. The back has felt very harsh, although I found the rear upper control arms both had completely busted ball joints so that could have a lot to do with it.
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    99 E39 540iat sport
    Just consider the price of what car you have. Regular bags are 200 a pair, sport ones are 450 pair. Replacing air springs is easy task, hardest part is doing interior and the clips. It has zero interference with other suspension parts.
    let the car sit a few days without touching it. Everytime you open door the pump goes on and levels out. So even if the bags are leaking you cant notice it driving daily. Eventually pump may take the toll as mine did, but i have no speed sensor so even on road bumps the system adjusts as it would be standing still. Thus ive removed the 7.5a fuse andjust height manually when needed until i fix abs/speed issues.
    Last edited by valtersboze; 12-16-2014 at 12:13 PM.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by valtersboze View Post
    Regular bags are 200 a pair, sport ones are 450 pair.
    Sport/non-sport are the same price; BMW recently raised the price for both by $20 each. I ordered one in October to replace a leaker and got it for $164. Then, I discovered that my M Sport did not have the sport air springs on it to begin with, but the second one two weeks later cost me $184 + shipping as the price hike was effective 11/1/2014.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=33&fg=50

http://huskerparts.com/partlocator/i...?siteid=215771

Husker parts may be one of the best kept secrets in BMW parts, I don't see it mentioned too often in forums.

My Cars
    e30 & e46 convertibles
    Gentleman, I need to dig up this old thread.

I bought a Touring last weekend for dirt cheap, but both airbags are shot.

Now I am wondering if I can use the regular springs on the sport suspension? Can't really find anything about it.

Wouldn't mind if the car sits higher than normal, but is there anything else which would talk against it? Or does it just not fit?

(not sure if I can get the car running, so I want to fix things as cheap as possible)
    Last edited by Spansfelder; 06-15-2015 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i Touring Sport
    The airbags are probably not too much more expensive than coils without any of the hassle of a conversion. I think I got my OEM bags for $115 each if I remember correctly. Potentially cheaper off brand?

My Cars
    '10 MKVI GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by CKreations View Post
    The airbags are probably not too much more expensive than coils without any of the hassle of a conversion. I think I got my OEM bags for $115 each if I remember correctly. Potentially cheaper off brand?
    where did you get it at that price?

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Napa locally has an Arnott airbag listed as a replacement for both the 81,82 part number for the sport and the 613,614 non-sport spring. Has anyone used these on a touring with original sport suspension?
    They are listed at about $150 each.

Edit - I also see that BAVAuto lists the same Arnott part as sport/non sport...
    Last edited by Bo9; 10-12-2015 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i Touring Sport
    It was a company that sold through eBay with warehouse locations all over the country. My bags came from two different spots within a couple hours of my house and arrived in 2 days. I can't remember the name of the seller but I'll check.

My Cars
    2003 525i Touring Sport

Replacing Air Spring on E39 Touring

Looking back at my records, I found them on eBay and called the company, new-part.com, and they've gotten more expensive.

http://www.new-part.com/product-list...25i+air+spring
    Last edited by CKreations; 10-13-2015 at 01:15 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast