Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Air Spring on E39 Touring

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Thanks for this DIY. Read though the instructions once over a week ago and understood the steps needed.

I recvd the bag today and went at it. I couldn't believe I was done in 30 minutes!!! That was the easiest suspension job EVAR!!!...

My Cars
    02 540iT,03 525iT,90 MX5

NEED help with air diagnosis

Great DIY, and also the PDF. invaluable when the photo acct gets removed.

guys, my wagon's air suspension goes flat everytime i park facing uphill (doesn't have to be severe)
    however, when parking flat, it is fine.
    any ideas? what else should i try?

thanks in advance
    No Money, No Honey

My Cars
    E39 525iTouring,E36 325i
    This thread may just help with my problems in the rear suspension.

I have air suspension but the clearance at rest seems very low and I can barely get my fingers between the tyre and the guard. When I turn on the ignition nothing happens - I can't hear any air pump so maybe the pump is not working? Its a bit hard to see the clearance on the move!! Should I hear the pump & see the suspension rise when I turn on the ignition or only if the ride height is incorrect. When I drive the car handles fine but on sudden dips the suspension compresses and the outside of the tyre just catches on the guard lip...I have now tapped the guard lip out fractionally to give more clearance and that seems to have stopped it catching. After a ride in the car the clearance seems to be a fraction more but I am not sure if that is just because the suspension has not "settled" after a run or if it is taking time for the air shock to leak down.

A couple of questions:

Can I get the ride height reset using a scanner/computer?
    Does it sound like the airpump is out of order?

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    E39 525iTouring,E36 325i
    Well last night I did what I should have done in the first place..READ THE POST PROPERLY!!!

It sound like my airpump is not working. No pump comes on when I turn on the ignition so that looks like my first job...aaarhg. Time to hunt the forum for the write up for that job now

My Cars
    E39 wagon. FZ1.
    Is it bouncing on the bump stops?

Have you tried increasing the load to see if it kicks the pump on?

Quote Originally Posted by GerryAttrick View Post
    Well last night I did what I should have done in the first place..READ THE POST PROPERLY!!!

It sound like my airpump is not working. No pump comes on when I turn on the ignition so that looks like my first job...aaarhg. Time to hunt the forum for the write up for that job now

My Cars
    BMW E39 tourer
    Hi from a novice, can I just say a big thanx, once I was able to get the chewed up locking nut off, it took me 15mins to change the nearside airbag.. thanks to all of your comments and the guy who described how to do it with pics..cheers I now have suspension.

My Cars
    1985 635CSI, 2002 540IT
    Great project. I took this project on for the weekend but it was over in about an hour and 30 minutes. I got the air springs from Bavauto, the clips and was gentle with the fitting release pieces. Everything went as expected due to the detail in this thread. Thanks for all that contributed. Wifey is quite impressed. I showed her the worn old springs and the new ones and how I fashioned a method to raise the suspension to get the new spring into position and now she thinks I hung the moon.

Again, my thanks,

Gravity
    2002 540iT, M package, Sport package.
    1985 635CSI survivor

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    Well, it's time for me to do this job. Right rear would sag here and there overnight. This AM the car was in full squat. SLS light on the dash etc. glad all this info is posted here.

One question- Will the SLS light turn off once these springs are replaced?
    Also, eve though my 2001 Touring came with the Style % 17" wheels, I don't believe it's a "SPORT" model. I don't have the build sheet, how will I know? Run the VIN at real OEM?

EDIT: called BavAuto and they ran the VIN. She's a sport. I do recall the springs having a yellow base. In the pics on the BavAuto website sport had the yellow base and non was black. Funny thing, I didn't put sport Bilstiens in the front.
    Last edited by bigMphan; 07-22-2013 at 02:55 PM.

My Cars
    1985 635CSI, 2002 540IT
    BigMphan, I would offer you something I learned after the painless install; lower your car slowly once the install is complete. It will go to the bumpstops until you hook up the battery again and then it will self adjust to the proper height. It's a one beer job.

Gravity
    2002 540iT, M package, Sport package.
    1985 635CSI survivor

My Cars
    02 E39 525iT M-Sport
    Thanks to all for a great write up and pics to match.

Just a heads-up to those of you who are on a very tight budget or just looking for a possible short-term quick fix:
    http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tire-Se...Quart-P51.aspx
    I poured about 300ml into the top of the air spring (after following all the steps to disconnect the air lines)
    I've been using this method for the past 2 years now and re-do it approx every 6 months, my car is a daily driver.
    Its definitely not a long term fix and sealing the leak is dependent on the size of the hole in you air spring.
    After the solution is poured into the air spring, I activate the pump and while the pump is running and you can hear the air and solution escaping, I manually lift the sagging side so that the spring is no longer compressed and the solution can make its way to the air leak.
    I would also advise that once the hole is sealed and ride height is reached and pump is no longer active, to drive your car a few km's to get the sealant to "swoosh" around a bit and to settle.
    Although I've finally reached a stage now two years later where its time to purchase a new spring because the solution is no longer sealing well.

Another tip is that I broke my retaining clips and I just used the broken piece of clip which fits in the recess, stuck it back in the recess and used a small zip tie to secure. Never had any issues with this.

Regards
    Rashard
    2002 525i M-Sport Touring

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity
    BigMphan, I would offer you something I learned after the painless install; lower your car slowly once the install is complete. It will go to the bumpstops until you hook up the battery again and then it will self adjust to the proper height. It's a one beer job.

Gravity
    That's a Roger, Gravity. Easy peasy, linin' breezy. 90 minutes tops. I took my time and had the beer while I did the deed. The kicker was once I replaced the BLOWN FUSE things were back to normal. Leaky passenger side spring every so often over night. THEN I decided to change the serpentine belts, and jacked up the front of the car to do so. That was the straw that broke the air spring's back. I could hear them leaking for the first time. That was it, time to change the bags. I did have trouble getting a torque wrench on the bottom mount screw. I just eyeballed the 15 lbs/ft with the box wrench. The drive axle was in the way.
    I did get to see just how destroyed my rear subframe bushings were, which was completely. So that's on the to do list.

Thanks for the write-up.
    Last edited by bigMphan; 08-02-2013 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport Wagon
    Help!!!! Great Write up. This is my first time posting. I'm in a bit of a bind here and looking for a little insight. I replaced the passenger side air spring but the quick connect fitting will not lock into place. It will however lock into place on the old spring and the New drivers side air spring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Did you put them on the wrong sides? I'm not sure if the quick connect is specific to each side, but I know the bags are specific.

My Cars
    E39 wagon. FZ1.
    hmm. I don't think they are specific to a side. But if you can get the other two bags to latch, i would bet it has something to do with the new pax side bag.

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring
    I am glad that I have found this writeup! My 530i '01 had actually no leaks till yesterday. The car was going down few cm after a week when I was away thus not driving so the air springs were ok.

My friend asked me to help him with his car and I had to tow his car with my Beemer. The road was pretty bumpy but when we arrived I did notice a sssss sound coming from the left rear wheel, suddenly it stopped. I was sure that the system has released some pressure and ignored it. On the return home I did notice that the pump is turning on constantly, when arrived at home the sss sound was there and the left side was going down. Few minutes after the car (one side) Was completely down. So I suspect that my air spring died after bit more load it got from pulling the other car.

Should I check whether it is not the reservoir before ordering or can I be sure that the symptoms I got are a defo air spring issue ?

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring

Thumbs up

I have checked the air spring from underneath while the pup was feeding air – there was a hole in it.

I have a sport suspension so I did order one such spring (L#081), when I was comparing both the old one and the new one it looks like the design has changed slightly. The part numbers are the same but the springs look different.
    The replacement was indeed very simple. Connected the battery and enabled the ignition and the car started to lift. It turned out that it didn’t level correctly. The "new side" was on normal/correct level while the "old" went very high up. I have INPA so, I have packed my laptop into the car and went to a place with a straight ground. While driving the leveling has adjusted, but when checking the levels with INPA it was still showing slight differences. I have enabled the transport program (lifting car up) and then disabling it again which has lowered the car to normal. Now it is aligned pretty well. An interesting thing which I have discovered is that the height of the suspension can be modified easily via INPA.

I wonder how the car will behave on two different springs (design) and whether i will be forced to replace the other one.

(Apologies for my English)

My Cars
    '99 540iT; Porsche 944
    I'm glad you like the write-up....you can contribute emencely if you could please post a pic or additional info on how to adjust the height using the INPA software.

Keep in mind that it is the height sensor which determine the height not the spring design, as well if one of the links are binding it can cause the height to be off or if the sensor got tweeked during the R&R.
    Last edited by MLue1; 01-04-2014 at 03:43 AM.

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
    I'm glad you like the write-up....you can contribute emencely if you could please post a pic or additional info on how to adjust the height using the INPA software.
    I will do it in a while.
    Keep in mind that it is the height sensor which determine the height not the spring design, as well if one of the links are binding it can cause the height to be off or if the sensor got tweeked during the R&R.
    I am aware of that. When thinking about the two different springs impacting the driving I meant the differences between the rubber on the old spring rigth side and the spring with new rubber on the left. Of course the car will be standing on the same hight because of the hight sensor as you've mentioned, no doubt but the characteristics of the rubber may be different. Perhaps one streches more than the other less thus compesates differently when passing bumps on the roads...will see.

Attached is a detailed description.
    BMW E39 Touring Air Spring - Qiuck walktrought by Stafi.pdf
    Last edited by stafi; 01-04-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Additional info - document.

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring

Attached

BMW E39 Touring Air Spring - Qiuck walktrought by Stafi.pdfUPDATED!

I am aware of that. When thinking about the two different springs impacting the driving I meant the differences between the rubber on the old spring rigth side and the spring with new rubber on the left. Of course the car will be standing on the same hight because of the hight sensor as you've mentioned, no doubt but the characteristics of the rubber may be different. Perhaps one streches more than the other less thus compesates differently when passing bumps on the roads...will see.
    Last edited by stafi; 01-05-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Updated the Instruction

My Cars
    '99 540iT; Porsche 944
    Thanks Stafi for your contribution, you've added more value to this tread. It's hard to read the pics but I get the idea, thanks again.

Get the other air spring replaced and you're all set.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530iA Sport
    Just another big THANKS for this thread. Took me 30 minutes to do the RH (driver's) side. The only difficulty I had was figuring how to get the deck up, but this thread explained the 'hidden bolts' trick well.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ck-replacement

I got the old bag out and pushed the new one into place, turned it until the studs lined up, and then stuck a tennis ball under it to hold it in place while I clipped the studs in place. I then pulled the base down until it reached the seat and bolted it in, finally attaching the quick-release air hose. Filled right up no problem!

Again, a great thread and most satisfying DIY. Thanks to all who added to the discussion.

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is
    My air bags were replaced by the PO.
    They are working perfectly, no sagging, not uneven.
    If I have no leaks, are these a time/mileage replacement item?
    I will always own a BMW.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Touring
    Wow dude, you are the man.

By the way, all the tips and opinions on this subject were excelent and saved my life (and my 540Touring)

Many thanks to all (especially MLue1 and Tinius)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Touring
    Hi Rashard,

I'll replace the air springs on my Touring any way, but I liked your idea. This can solve my problem while I wait the parts arrive in Brazil (usually to takes too long!)
    Could you tell me the quantity that you added in each spring?

Many thanks

Hi Guys great post. When you talk about jacking up are we talking about the car at jacking points or the rear diff? thx Dougie

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast