Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Air Spring on E39 Touring

My Cars
    2002 540it Dinan S2
    Thank you OP, used your guide for a quick painless install!

I picked up the spring at ECS for about $215, beat the heck out of the dealer price... In fact I got a new tensioner and a fresh set of platinum plugs plus a couple other small goodies for less than the dealer price on the single spring. Shame I even had to do it as the service records indicate they had been replaced only 6k ago. I have a black diamond driveway that throws a wheel in the air to access without ripping off my exhaust system and apparently these air springs don't like being fully extended then compressed often.

An option for installing solo is to seat the spring from the bottom, the plastic base is notched for proper placement, then pump a small amount of air into the spring, expanding the bag gently and allowing you to slip the top clips back on with one hand and finish the rest of the install.
    2002 540iT Dinan S2 - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Stoptech BBK, 19" ACS Type 2, Euro Dash, BSW speaker amp and sub upgrades, One Big Grin

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Finally got around to getting the touring off the ground. Had no issues thanks to this detailed guide.
    I used the Arnott replacements, more to see how they compared to the stock air springs. They look to be within a half inch extended and "compressed", rubber part seems a little wider than stock sport springs but the stockers were so hard and dried out they didn't wand to move much. The Arnott springs fit perfectly and even came with new clips and plastic lock clips for the air fittings. Initially (after 20 miles) they seem a bit more compliant than the ancient sport springs but we'll see how they feel after a few hundred.
    On the process - I let all the air out (only necessary on one side of mine ) unclipped everything on the top, then took out the bolt on the bottom. Was able to manually compress them all the way and remove them at that point. After loosely attaching the bottom and manually extending them up toward the top. The trick I used to get them lined up and extended far enough to "clip in" on the top was a long nosed air gun with low pressure. I used that to kind of line up the tops and then extend and get the clips on. Worked very well for getting it done by myself. Took around 30 minute total.

96BD8CEC-1E14-4BA6-B983-E811C2A338CF_zpsri2tdf3t.jpg 245E2444-B112-4BC0-AEB2-B5B3D78C9CDA_zpskscaych3.jpg

My Cars
    88 M5, 540msport, 335 S3
    Hey Bo9, how are the Arnott air springs working out? Did your car come with standard or sport suspension?

I was thinking abut trying the Arnott's, but the fact that they come with the dreaded plastic clip seals the deal for me, unless someone has a reason not to use the Arnott's?

BTW - When you go to Arnott's site, they only show 1 air spring part number (well 2 if you count left and right) for e39 - https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...el=86&year=193
    and the OEM part number they cross reference is for both regular and sport suspension. So that means Arnott is proving the same size air spring regardless of whether you have sport or standard suspension.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has used the Arnott's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo9 View Post
    Finally got around to getting the touring off the ground. Had no issues thanks to this detailed guide.
    I used the Arnott replacements, more to see how they compared to the stock air springs. They look to be within a half inch extended and "compressed", rubber part seems a little wider than stock sport springs but the stockers were so hard and dried out they didn't wand to move much. The Arnott springs fit perfectly and even came with new clips and plastic lock clips for the air fittings. Initially (after 20 miles) they seem a bit more compliant than the ancient sport springs but we'll see how they feel after a few hundred.
    On the process - I let all the air out (only necessary on one side of mine ) unclipped everything on the top, then took out the bolt on the bottom. Was able to manually compress them all the way and remove them at that point. After loosely attaching the bottom and manually extending them up toward the top. The trick I used to get them lined up and extended far enough to "clip in" on the top was a long nosed air gun with low pressure. I used that to kind of line up the tops and then extend and get the clips on. Worked very well for getting it done by myself. Took around 30 minute total.

96BD8CEC-1E14-4BA6-B983-E811C2A338CF_zpsri2tdf3t.jpg 245E2444-B112-4BC0-AEB2-B5B3D78C9CDA_zpskscaych3.jpg

My Cars
    1997 E39 540 Touring
    Hello Guys,

I read this topic but didn't find. I replaced the bags for springs and couldn't figure how to turn off the suspention inactive warning on the dash. How did you guys reset this warning?

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    I see several Hong Kong e39 air springs as well now available. Arnott does not mention where their parts are manufactured - only that they are assembled in the US. I would guess China manufacturing as well. Any reviews on the quality of Arnott for the wagon?

My Cars
    1998 Acura RDX
    Well I finally got it done about 2 weeks ago. I was so pissed off that the dealership wanted $800 for rear axle and $700 for front axle brakes, I decided I would do it all myself. Since I had the tires off the rear, I replaced my passenger air spring. Not too hard, I'd agree getting the damn cargo hooks off was the hardest part. After I got that all done, I went in on the brakes...both sides, rotors, pads and the little warning wire....Took me all damn day....but the car stops, the brake warning light went off and the car is sitting level. Yes, I'm proud of myself....and I also know I got ripped off on my last break job. That won't happen again! A big shout out to the write up on this forum and YouTube. I had 3 ipads going and printed out directions.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Thanks for this helpful guide

Done on my 2000 528i touring!

My Cars
    911 356 528
    Does anybody know where I can get the PDF pictures on this for a touring E 39 w sport suspension

My Cars
    e39 540i 528iT, 2x 325iC
    Having trouble getting the brass connector, with either the old clip (I managed not to break it!) or the Arnott-style clip, to stay connected - air pressure is blowing it off. I am either not pushing it down far enough, or the clip is not engaging. Yet I don't see how I can push it down any farther, to engage the clip? I have tried pushing the connector down with the Arnott-style clip not fully engaged, then pushing it in to engage it, but does not seem to be working.

Damn. Thought I was done with this easy job!

My Cars
    jaguar xj6 BMW528i Tourer

Floor Panel

My floor panel looks nothing like the one pictured I have a year 200 528i tourer
    Quote Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
    I looked all over but could find a good writeup with pics to help me visualize what need to be done to replace the air springs on the Touring, so I hope this will help someone do just that.

The air springs fail because the rubber gets old chafed and cracked (see the pic with the chafing and cords showing), if you jack up the car with the springs in this poor condition the spring will extend and can start to leak from the cracks in the rubber or the seal between the plastic parts and the rubber body.

DISCLAIMER: I bare no responsibility for damages to you or your car, please use these instruction with safety in mind at all times.

You only need basic tools and a floor jack (the lower the better)

-lug wrench or torque wrench for wheel lugs
    -needle nose pliers
    -10mm Socket and ratchet
    -10mm wrench
    -13mm wrench
    -small flat head screw driver

From my experience I recommend that you lower the rear seats, remove the floor panel behind the rear seat and check the part number on the top of the air spring before ordering them online. See pics In my case I ordered the regular air spring only to find out the my car had the S227A Sports Suspension package (read shorter air spring), it was a good thing the dealer exchanged the parts without any restocking charges. If I had ordered online I would have had more difficulty, so be warned.

The all part numbers are here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=33&fg=50

My Cars
    2001 e39 530d touring
    Great write up, it was easy to change them following these steps. I changed both of the springs as the left hand side one was leaking. Since then that side sits a bit lower (1cm). Any ideas what can cause this?

My Cars
    E39 wagon. FZ1.
    Hmm. That shouldn't be.

Maybe the subframe bushings? Or the front springs? Wild guess

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39 523 Touring
    Great write up - thinking of doing it myself in UK.

Any recommendation where I can get pair of reasonable priced air suspensions from? (1998 E39 523i touring)

Can I make do using only the factory jack that comes with the car? What do I need to do when I release the air from the bags - I'm a bit lost here, do I need to provide additional support for something when air is released.

Thanks

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Any recommendation where I can get pair of reasonable priced air suspensions from? (1998 E39 523i touring)
    Hi, I got mine from here: https://www.airsus.com/bmw-air-suspe...eries-e39.html, correct price and fast delivery

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39 523 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmi View Post
    Hi, I got mine from here: https://www.airsus.com/bmw-air-suspe...eries-e39.html, correct price and fast delivery
    Looks good but think too expensive for me...there quite a few available cheaper on eBay but not sure if they are quality products (you get what you pay for!) so anyone else advise which eBay seller/item has been a good air suspension set

- - - Updated - - -

Great write up - thinking of doing it myself in UK.

Can I make do using only the factory jack that comes with the car? What do I need to do when I release the air from the bags - I'm a bit lost here, do I need to provide additional support for something when air is released.

Thanks
    Any advice regarding the factory jack above? Thanks again.

My Cars
    1988 E34 520i
    Looks good but think too expensive for me...there quite a few available cheaper on eBay but not sure if they are quality products (you get what you pay for!) so anyone else advise which eBay seller/item has been a good air suspension set

- - - Updated - - -

Any advice regarding the factory jack above? Thanks again.
    Hi GWH,

I'm also in the UK and I need to replace my air springs but I really don't know which ones to buy. GSF and Euro Car Parts are quoting over £220 per side, which is too much. There are loads on eBay for around £80 per pair, like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Up-For-BMW...3D222107022308

My car has over 227,000 miles on it and the body's showing its age in places so I'll probably just run it 'til it's done and I don't want to spend huge amounts on parts but I still want to be safe and not buy cheap-as-chips parts if they're going to fail within months.

Did you manage to source some decent units or are you still looking?

Thanks

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Look at the link I posted above, £109 per side, and I run them since 2 years without any issue. Just don't try £80 unbranded chinese things...

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    This post does not talk to any previous posts above.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the two air springs work independently of each other, so if the right goes down, the left stays up. But on my 2000 M-Sport wagon, the whole rear end sits down after about 30 minutes of no motion. Then open the drivers door, and they both pump up and seem to be OK when driving.
    Does anyone know what's happening here?
    Maybe because both sides sit down, both air bags are cracked and leaking?

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Probably the bags. Soapy water in a spray bottle, spray the bags and look for bubbles.

My Cars
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon

Inspect the system, replace as necessary

The bags aren't filled by the pump directly, rather each bag has a reservoir tank and its own regulator. They both use a single air pump. I would say yours are both leaking slowly and while parked soon draw down their tanks. While the car's electrical system is live, i.e. door open or driving, the pump is filling the tanks fast enough to keep the bags inflated, but as soon as you stop, the air is soon used up.
    To inspect the system you will need to remove the inside floor forward of the spare for access to the tops of the bags. Look for Torx bolts under the cargo tie-downs in each corner and don't strip them. Replacing both bags is relatively easy; there are several DIYs posted and it takes about an hour each side. Essentially you put the car on a jack stand, release the air pressure, then unbolt the bags top and bottom. Replace the bag and raise the wheel and suspension with your jack until you can fit the bolts on both ends (two top, one bottom). Watch out for the plastic clips on the end of the lines from the tanks - they are very easy to break and AFAIK not available separately. Replacing a tank with line is an order of magnitude more difficult because other parts need to me moved.
    Note also there are different bags for regular and sport suspension - they're not interchangeable. Genuine BMW bags will set you back a bundle. I have used after market, not the cheapest, for two swaps with no problems. YMMV, etc. Get the right ones for your VIN, this is the listing for my 540iT.
    Air bag.jpg
    Last edited by tinius; 09-06-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: I'm an old man
    2014 i3 BEV, 2016 X5 xDrive40e
    Myrtle Beach SC

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    Tinius, msvphoto, Thank you both for the insight and suggestions. It is looking like both air bags are leaking and need to be replaced.

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    This is such a great site with so much information, but I find the search engine really not helping me.
    I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I cannot find it.
    I have a 2000 540it Touring with air rear springs, and on top of each spring is a brass push on fitting that is secured by a circular black plastic clip. Like all plastic on these cars, it gets hard and breaks when you are changing the air bags.
    I need to find 2 of these clips that according to RealOEM is only supplied as part of that brass fitting.
    Does anyone know where you can buy just this plastic clip?

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Someone on one of the FB e39 groups was selling 3D printed ones IIRC.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc90 View Post
    Having trouble getting the brass connector, with either the old clip (I managed not to break it!) or the Arnott-style clip, to stay connected - air pressure is blowing it off. I am either not pushing it down far enough, or the clip is not engaging. Yet I don't see how I can push it down any farther, to engage the clip? I have tried pushing the connector down with the Arnott-style clip not fully engaged, then pushing it in to engage it, but does not seem to be working.

Damn. Thought I was done with this easy job!
    To help others, make sure you have the retaining clip on correctly. If you are using the Arnott supplied clip, it has a bevel on one side that should face downward.

The only thing I'd add to this guide is upon re-install, tug on the brass connection to make sure it is fastened securely with the clip. Otherwise, you'll get a nice POP and suspension drop if it pops off when the compressor fills the bag. Whoops....

I installed the Arnott A-2737 bag on the rear left of my 99 540iT sport. The only difference I noticed was the two studs holding the clips are about 1/8" longer. This was also discussed in another thread here where they agree the longer studs shold not be a problem : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nsion-air-bags
    99 540iT - Merlot Truckster (TCG done 134k, might sell...)
    00 528i/5 - Grüen Arrow (sold)
    93 740i - Grün Hornet (sold)
    00 740iL (R.I.P.)

My Cars
    2001 E39 530D Touring
    Long after the date of the post I know, but I am about to replace the airbags on both of our 2001 530D Tourings.

The X5 clip doesn't fit. It holds the bottom end of the airbag in place.

Did anybody come up with a source for the plastic clip for the E39? There was talk of somebody using a 3d printer to produce some but I can't find a link.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast