My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Absolutely not.

My Cars
    bmw wide-body 2.8 turbo
    for what not???

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    You asked if it would fit. He said it wouldn't. There is no why. It will or won't. The sub-frame mount points are different from what I recall though. The size (width) is different. I'm sure the height is different. Why do you want something else? The E36 one is perfect the way it is. If anything, get some reinforcement plates from Bimmerworld when you bolt the new one in place.
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerqc View Post
    for what not???
    Why would you expect a subframe from a completely different generation of 3 series to fit on another?

My Cars
    DTM E30 M3, Lachs E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    Why would you expect a subframe from a completely different generation of 3 series to fit on another?
    Because the rear end out of a 2001 M coupe will fit in an 84 318i.......There are numerous reasons why this is a good question. The answer is of course with enough time and money the rear end of an E46///M will go into an E36///M. It may not bolt up like the Mcoupe and E30 rears, but it can be done.

T

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Personally, I'd like to see an e36 rear go into an e30 or M Coupe - but that would be a long shot. Probably simpler to fit an e39 rear end or an e90 since there aren't any trailing arms.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30 View Post
    Because the rear end out of a 2001 M coupe will fit in an 84 318i.......There are numerous reasons why this is a good question.
    It's not that good of a question. Especially since the e36 and e46 rear suspension are of pretty much the same design. They both use a trailing arm with multilink. So why bother trying to swap over a rear end from a totally diff. car when you have the same suspension already on the e36? You can take a look at parts diagrams on realoem.com to see what I'm talkin about.

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Because the rear end out of a 2001 M coupe will fit in an 84 318i.......There are numerous reasons why this is a good question. The answer is of course with enough time and money the rear end of an E46///M will go into an E36///M. It may not bolt up like the Mcoupe and E30 rears, but it can be done.

T
    The E37 (Z3/MZ3) chassis was a direct copy off the E30 chassis with the same trailing arm suspension. This is well known and well documented even in the online Bimmer community. However, the E36 and E46 suspensions are miles apart. The parts are in no way interchangeable (as the M Coupes suspension and 5-lug parts are a common E30 swap).

The E36 and E46 mounting points and suspension are fundamentally different. I'm referencing realoem.com and looking at the pictures alone, the mounting points are different.
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceE30 View Post
    The E36 and E46 mounting points and suspension are fundamentally different. I'm referencing realoem.com and looking at the pictures alone, the mounting points are different.
    The subframe mounting points maybe different, but the basic layout of the rear suspension for both cars is essentially the same.

My Cars
    bmw wide-body 2.8 turbo
    thank for opinion

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328

T
    I can weld the drivetrain from a sherman tank in too. Bring it on over.

The mcoupe rear end fits the 318 because they both use the e30 rear end. duh.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    1998 328i

E46 subframe does not fit into e36

T
    I’ve been under my 1999 e36 m3 with an e46 subframe it will not bolt in you would need to cut it and re weld and that’s only the mounting points the diff cradle is to wide and tall as well you would have to cut the whole diff cradle the good part is though that I’ve learned since building my suspension is that you can buy an e36 m rear subframe and all of your e46 suspension bolts right on I’m running e36 m rear subframe with e46 suspension same in the front I bought an e36 m front subframe/crossmember and bolted e46 suspension so my bc coil overs that I rebuilt and got off my e46 bolt right in and the cars track width is a tad wider I haven’t had time to measure the exact width I’ve gained but it’s noticeable and it’s an oem upgrade

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdabeam View Post
    I’ve been under my 1999 e36 m3 with an e46 subframe it will not bolt in you would need to cut it and re weld and that’s only the mounting points the diff cradle is to wide and tall as well you would have to cut the whole diff cradle the good part is though that I’ve learned since building my suspension is that you can buy an e36 m rear subframe and all of your e46 suspension bolts right on I’m running e36 m rear subframe with e46 suspension same in the front I bought an e36 m front subframe/crossmember and bolted e46 suspension so my bc coil overs that I rebuilt and got off my e46 bolt right in and the cars track width is a tad wider I haven’t had time to measure the exact width I’ve gained but it’s noticeable and it’s an oem upgrade
    Hey, with the e46 parts you ran into the e36m subframe were they e46m or non m parts ? Cause it’s something I’m looking forward to do to my e36m and were you able to measure the exact width you gained?