Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: What oil meets BMW Spec's? What oil should I run?

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
    Thanks guys. I know many consider oil talk to be beating on a dead horse, but this is excellent info.
    +1, Quattro Pete has posted up some very useful info, thank you.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Glad to be of help once in a while, even though I don't frequent this forum as much anymore. But I'm not surprised to see this thread still being brought up to the surface every now and then. The subject of "which oil to use" will never die. It's quite fascinating, really. For example, there are boutique lubricants made from vegetables nowadays that rival group IV/V synthetics in terms of performance and resistance to degradation due to fuel dilution, high temps, etc. Granted, they won't make it onto BMW's approved oil list due to prohibitive costs of testing/certifications, but one day they may become more mainstream and then who knows... we may be putting Crisco 0w-20 in our 2025 BMWs.
    Last edited by quattro PETE; 06-09-2011 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro PETE View Post
    Castrol's US product data sheets have been crap lately. The 2.9 is the minimum required by SAE Xw-30 grade, so that's what they're reporting now. However, this 0w-30 meets ACEA A3, so if it meets ACEA A3 then its HT/HS must be at least 3.5 because that's what's required to meet this spec. A while back their spec sheets were more meaningful. Now they're fairly useless. The only reason we know it's still the same oil is because people continue to run VOA (virgin oil analysis) on it from time to time...
    THAT is interesting. If Castrol would accurately publish the correct HTHS number I would be more inclined to use GC in my Ferrari. I just worry about such a low HTHS when the factory recommended Shell Ultra Helix 5w-40 is up around 3.7 or 3.8
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    For example, there are boutique lubricants made from vegetables nowadays that rival group IV/V synthetics in terms of performance and resistance to degradation due to fuel dilution, high temps, etc. .. we may be putting Crisco 0w-20 in our 2025 BMWs.

How about Beef tallow!

http://getg.com/engineOil/5W-30.php

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    After further research, it appears Group III oils are not inferior to Group IVs as it seems to be made out. Oil refining has come a long way and in some cases Group IIIs can be just as good or better than Group IV due to additives as Group IV does not take to additives as well as mineral based. It is also rumored Mobil 1 is 70% or more PAO. So given all the information garnered these few days, unless I can find Euro formulas more readily and close to the $4+ I pay for M1 5w30. I am sticking to it despite those who think I am better off with a true synthetic and LL-01 per European Standards.

More great reading for those who are interested in the the advancement of Group III oils:
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1104963

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...oil-technology

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ase-oil-trends
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Group III oils shear faster, sludge easier, and their molecular structure is not as uniform. 99% of the time they don't do as well in UOAs as a PAO or Ester.

No one is trying to convince you to change your oil but as I've stated over and over.
    Manufacturer specs are there for a reason. Everyone not running an oil that meets manufacturer specs should run UOAs.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    Group III oils shear faster, sludge easier, and their molecular structure is not as uniform. 99% of the time they don't do as well in UOAs as a PAO or Ester.

No one is trying to convince you to change your oil but as I've stated over and over.
    Manufacturer specs are there for a reason. Everyone not running an oil that meets manufacturer specs should run UOAs.
    Thanks Jared, but you really think UOAs are necessary for my 5k/1yr whichever comes first, OCIs?

M1 with 70%+ PAO can be viewed as a 75% "true synthetic". Surely, it won't shear to below specs with such low OCIs.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
    Thanks Jared, but you really think UOAs are necessary for my 5k/1yr whichever comes first, OCIs?

M1 with 70%+ PAO can be viewed as a 75% "true synthetic". Surely, it won't shear to below specs with such low OCIs.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!

You're still overlooking a lot of what I'm saying. Manufacturer's specs are not just about shear stability or TBN. Your oil will probably have plenty of TBN left after that OCI. It may still have decent viscosity, but what if there are other issues? You have no idea if your oil is really protecting your engine or if it is slowly eating itself. Without a UOA you can't see the wear numbers.

As I stated earlier, an oil is not just viscosity. Every good oil manufacturer will have several SKUs for the most popular viscosities. If we pick on M1 for instance, one of their 5w-30 blends may be fine but another may not. The same can be said for Total, Amsoil, Lubro, etc. They're each blended for different purposes.

Entire engines have been wiped because the wrong oil was used. I'm not saying you need regular UOAs, but do at least one or two to make sure you are ok. Chances are you'll be fine, but what if you're not and you see high wear numbers? Isn't a couple UOAs cheaper than a new engine? Is it worth risking your engine over a couple dollars on oil?
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!

You're still overlooking a lot of what I'm saying. Manufacturer's specs are not just about shear stability or TBN. Your oil will probably have plenty of TBN left after that OCI. It may still have decent viscosity, but what if there are other issues? You have no idea if your oil is really protecting your engine or if it is slowly eating itself. Without a UOA you can't see the wear numbers.

As I stated earlier, an oil is not just viscosity. Every good oil manufacturer will have several SKUs for the most popular viscosities. If we pick on M1 for instance, one of their 5w-30 blends may be fine but another may not. The same can be said for Total, Amsoil, Lubro, etc. They're each blended for different purposes.

Entire engines have been wiped because the wrong oil was used. I'm not saying you need regular UOAs, but do at least one or two to make sure you are ok. Chances are you'll be fine, but what if you're not and you see high wear numbers? Isn't a couple UOAs cheaper than a new engine? Is it worth risking your engine over a couple dollars on oil?
    Thanks. Understood. Will get Blackstone labs analysis next go round.

In the end, it is not about using spec'd oil then, it's more about UOA for each members' personal usage patterns because even something within spec can have bad UOA reports and with ever changing formulations, one should probably get UOAs more often than one would think.
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech

I run GC, (which is a highly rated BMW LL-01 oil) and still use UOA's to confirm my change intervals (currently 7,500 miles).
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    I had GC analyzed after 10K miles in my 530i... lab's conclusion was that it needed to be changed at that point, but wear was still low. It's just that TAN was creeping up, indicating increasing acidity.

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    I had GC analyzed after 10K miles in my 530i... lab's conclusion was that it needed to be changed at that point, but wear was still low. It's just that TAN was creeping up, indicating increasing acidity.
    UAO's have confirmed 10k is OK, but I now use 7.5k just to allow a safe margin.

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Well it's time for me to eat my words. I've said many times that I have never seen any LL-01 oil sold at any Walmart ever. I just got home from my local Wally-world and they do indeed now have a shelf stocked with Mobil-1 0w40 Euro Car oil at $6.57 as a regular price. Still no GC though.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Thanks. I 'll check Wally-world again next time. $6.57 is better then the $8.49 at Advanced Auto and even then they usually only have 4-5 quarts at a time.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Well it's time for me to eat my words. I've said many times that I have never seen any LL-01 oil sold at any Walmart ever. I just got home from my local Wally-world and they do indeed now have a shelf stocked with Mobil-1 0w40 Euro Car oil at $6.57 as a regular price. Still no GC though.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Don't feel bad. My local China Mart never stocked M1 0w-40 and they still don't. But I know some of them do. Not sure who makes these decisions... I guess local store managers.

As for GC, it was never sold at Walmarts in the US. It is sold at Walmarts in Canada though, from what I've heard.

This email I received back from Mobil

Hello Addam,
    Per below our on-line Oil Recommend Tool, Mobil 1 0W-40 is the best choice
    for youe car. And when you feel the engine power get less than B4 or find
    lube oil consumption coming up, it's the time to use Mobil 1 5W-50 which is
    more suitable for vehicles with high milage. Hope this helps.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic08568.jpg)

************<a.smithgolfpr ***********************************************
    ************o@gmail.com> *************************************************
    ************************************************** *********************To
    *************************************<Lubeline@exx onmobil.com> ***********
    ************06/10/2011 ************************************************cc
    ************08:50 PM ************************************************** ***
    ************************************************** ****************Subject
    *************************************#292921-AU(English) - Lubricants: ***
    *************************************for Cars and Trucks *****************

The following inquiry was sent through:
    Brand:
    First Name: Addam
    Last Name: Smith
    Position Title:
    E-mail: a.smithgolfpro@gmail.com
    Company:
    Address:
    Phone:
    Fax:
    Current Customer: Yes
    Question:
    Hi There
    I own a BMW e39 535i Sports 2000 Model. I have had my oil changed two times
    by two different mechanics on the Gold Coast in Australia. I requested
    Mobil one that meets my cars standard request and both times I have had
    Mobil one 5w-50 added to my engine and told it was the right oil. But after
    lots of studying I have been told Mobil 1 0w-40 is the Oil I should be
    using can you please tell me what is right.
    Thank you
    Addam smith

My Cars
    1997 M3 Hellrot(Red)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin009 View Post
    Doug,

Ever since the Kaboom! incidents with the 2001 and some 2002 E46 M3s, BMW has changed their stance on the 10W50 (which was the recommended oil in both the E39 M5 and the M3 at the time) and now only recommends Castrol TWS 10W60 for all "M" vehicles. Now that Total is shutting down the Elf Oil line and also updating both of their websites, I see that they have dropped both the Porche and the M approvals from the info about the 10W50. I dont know why, they havent changed the formula of the oil but also I would not run the 10W50 in an "M" vehicle but it works very well in my 540i. If you look around the internet at online suppliers of the Elf oil who have not recently updated their site you will see what I am talking about for example:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=987

or here:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1944

I hope this helps.

Nick
    Sorry to dig up an old post, but are you referring to ALL M vehicles, or just the newer ones like the S54 equipped E46 M3 and newer? I was going to try Total 10w50 in my S52 equipped 1997 M3, because i wanted a heavier oil to guard against lifter tick after occasional autocross runs..i currently run Euro Castrol 0w30.

Bump ^^^^^

Sent from my POS android phone using BF.com
    Last edited by VVT4ME; 04-26-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E90 330i
    About oil filters, should I stick with Mann, or are the alternatives at least halfway decent?

Jeder lobt was Nürburgring-erprobt

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos XX View Post
    About oil filters, should I stick with Mann, or are the alternatives at least halfway decent?
    Considering how inexpensive the OEM Mann/Mahle/Knecht filters are, I don't really see a reason to experiment with other brands. None of those other brands are any cheaper either.

My Cars
    E90 330i
    Yeah, you're right. I couldn't bring myself to try anything other than OEM. My inquiry was more along the lines of acceptable subsitutes, because only Advance Auto bothers to sell Mann, and I dont expect them to have it readily available all the time.

Jeder lobt was Nürburgring-erprobt

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Why is the BMW M twin oil not on the list?

My Cars
    06 750 li, 97 &99 740 i
    I use full synthetic 5 w 30

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213