Thread: 525 IX Engine swap

My Cars
    E34 525iX SE

525 IX Engine swap

Hi folks, I would like to put a e34 540 engine into my e34 525IX, the only problem being compatabilty with the 4WD system, How can i fit this engine - I am quite hapy to put it back to RWD if necessary!

Any help would be much appreciated!

My Cars
    E34 525iX SE
    No-one know how this can be done?

My Cars
    97 M3/4 - Hurtig/AA TS
    I for one was not even aware that there was an E34 IX built since we deprived americans never get any of the good stuff!

I personally think the V8 swap is going to be a ton of work. I would try to get hold of a 3.0 or 3.2 US engine from an M3 and then go from there with forced induction or other. You could get plenty of power that way, and your engine management should be compatible.

Otherwise you could also consider a euro M3 engine, but I don't know if that would bolt directly in or not?
    Have you been Screwed?

My Cars
    M3
    Anything can be done...trust me just do it, It wasnt very long ago they were people said you couldnt put an S50 into an e30IX ...

Also alot of people told us we were crazy to put an S54 in an X5, and we did it...And it is Sick!

I would sugest looking in to a pan from a v8 X5 to retrofit, the pan will bolt on the the 540 engine, but I belive they use a different style front diff. You could use a diff from the from the X5 the input for the driveshaft is the same, but i dont know about the axels and gear ratio good luck...You will have to do many thing to make it work but I think it is very do able.

P.Drost
    S50 325IX. - First - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz35Gad_Ejo
    Twin Turbo - S50B32 - Yeah we did it.
    S54 X5 - Yeah That Too -

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Another thing to consider... E34 being the same era as the E30. I have never heard anyone say the ix was a stout drive train. Faster is more fun, but if you are going to be breaking everything in the transmission, what's the point? Food for thought!

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Another thing to consider... E34 being the same era as the E30. I have never heard anyone say the ix was a stout drive train. Faster is more fun, but if you are going to be breaking everything in the transmission, what's the point? Food for thought!
    The E30 Ix drivetrain I would say is a little more then "stout", There a lot of rumors and myths about the weak drive train 90% of that steam from improper maintenance. The front driveshaft is the most prevalent issue in the ix and there are several ways to fix that issue with out getting off the topic at hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz35Gad_Ejo
    P.Drost
    S50 325IX. - First - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz35Gad_Ejo
    Twin Turbo - S50B32 - Yeah we did it.
    S54 X5 - Yeah That Too -

My Cars
    E34 525iX SE
    Thanks for all the advice there folks, it may seem that it will be more hassel than its worth putting a bigger engine into the IX drivetrain, I may be as well selling her and just buying a 540 instead?,

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 1985 M635
    Sell her and buy a 540i or supercharge the m50 instead. I have a friend with a supecharged m50 and its the fastest car i've ever ridden in.
    1994 530iA

My Cars
    E34 525iX SE
    Quote Originally Posted by 94530inh View Post
    Sell her and buy a 540i or supercharge the m50 instead. I have a friend with a supecharged m50 and its the fastest car i've ever ridden in.
    A supercharger would be a great way round, but i'm having a great deal of difficulty getting any tuning parts for this engine- any ideas?

My Cars
    '93 BMW E34 525IX ALLRAD
    Hmm how would the e34 ix perform with the m54 3.0l?

In the Darkness, where fear and knowing are one
    My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    The E34 iX uses a different subframe and engine mount arms than all of its RWD platform brothers. Since that style of mount arm was never used with a V8, you'd have to build them from scratch.

The E53 X5 oil pan locates the front diff several inches to the left of where the E34 oil pan locates it. This means that you might have to carve the driver's footwell to have room for the front driveshaft if you went with an E53 oil pan.