Thread: Touring build from Costa Rica.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring

Touring build from Costa Rica.

Hello folks,

I have been lurking around here for quite some time, asked a few questions (more than I should have) but I have learned a LOT from all of you, I am starting this to keep track of the progress.
    I am a huge E34 fan, its the car that I love the most so I had to have one and when I found a Touring with a bad engine selling for cheap I bought it without thinking too much, the car was a 1994 US Spec 530i touring

Dont have pictures of the car when I first saw it, but here are ones when it all started

New to me M60B40 engine

Engine in place

some of the parts that have been installed during this time, cant list them all at this point.

The first ever bath it took during my ownership

Full headliner all done by me

the car is now a 5 speed manual with a 3.23 LSD I will update with more stuff later

cheers!
    Sergio

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Looks like solid progress, what are your end goals?

My Cars
    1995 540ia M-sport
    Nice work my friend! I was wondering when you were gonna start one of these.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Looks like solid progress, what are your end goals?
    for now I want to rebuild the front and rear suspension, I am still on the fence if I should stiff it up a little with better springs and shocks (Koni/vog) and nurburgring bars. but, I must be honest... it will never corner like a small lighter car, so I am thinking I should buy everything stock. Then I will refinish the Alpinas and put them on, dont want to use them right now, suspension comes first

Quote Originally Posted by M540fella View Post
    Nice work my friend! I was wondering when you were gonna start one of these.
    Thanks Josh! I always though about doing one, but never did.
    Sergio

My Cars
    1992 535i (Euro) 5 Speed
    I don't think you would want to touch that steering wheel without a hazmat suit.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheche View Post
    for now I want to rebuild the front and rear suspension, I am still on the fence if I should stiff it up a little with better springs and shocks (Koni/vog) and nurburgring bars. but, I must be honest... it will never corner like a small lighter car, so I am thinking I should buy everything stock. Then I will refinish the Alpinas and put them on, dont want to use them right now, suspension comes first

Thanks Josh! I always though about doing one, but never did.
    Before altering the suspension try a refresh of the shocks with good quality "stock" parts, the bigger sways won't effect ride so have at that.
    EVERY lowered car I've been in rides like a lumber wagon. The stock suspension is very good when fresh. Better tires will improve your handling.

Oh, nice work on that headliner. That big sucker had to be a bear to do.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-05-2014 at 06:43 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by LeckenE34 View Post
    I don't think you would want to touch that steering wheel without a hazmat suit.
    hahaha yeah the car had been sitting in a shop for several months before I purchase it, old lady bought it in FL and brought it back down here in 1996 when she moved here, interior is cleaner now.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Before altering the suspension try a refresh of the shocks with good quality "stock" parts, the bigger sways won't effect ride so have at that.
    EVERY lowered car I've been in rides like a lumber wagon. The stock suspension is very good when fresh. Better tires will improve your handling.

Oh, nice work on that headliner. That big sucker had to be a bear to do.
    Thanks for the advice Ross, yeah I am concern about the ride quality, specially because we have terrible roads.

The headliner was challenging, but I think overall easier to do, since the parts are smaller, compared to doing a sedan, where, yeah its just one piece, but if you get it wrong, you need to start from 0, thankfully it went well.

- - - Updated - - -

ok second update, so the car was still an autotragic for like a year, then the transmission starting failing and I knew I had to do a manual swap, issue was... there are not many 530s with manuals down here and even less 540s E34/E39, so I was looking into buying a transmission from the states, but the cost of importing one would be over $2K, for one in good shape, around the same time a close friend crashed his car 530i/5 from 94, just what I needed, here are some pics from that car.

The whole front of the E34 was totaled, but the other car was far worst

that car was in really good condition, but I bought it to continue my project, I dont have many pictures from the manual swap, but at that moment we took the LSD, driveshaft, Gearbox, and clutch system from the donor

testing some nice wheels from a friend

Open Diff out

Car ran fine for some time, I even went to a track day, but the car started overheating during the 4th lap, so my brother cut the video, excuse his excitement, it was the first time he had gone to the track
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Q1qaJHjyM

but then starting Dec last year, just when I was considering buying an E12 to start a second long time project, the clutch died... after some searching I decided to get the UUC E39 240mm flywheel and I found a new Clutch system from a 328i E36 within the forum, had to wait over a month to get the flywheel from ECS, to be fair, it was UUC´s fault, anyway, got them a few days ago and on everything went well.

and I Also got a grey cargo cover, its in almost perfect condition

And some toys that will go into the car soon

and my friend who sold me the Alpina wheel also has a set of 18 inch Hartges, he will install them in his 530 soon and we shall do a photo shoot, but I would love to have a set like that for the touring!
    Last edited by Cheche; 02-01-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Sergio

My Cars
    1995 540ia M-sport

Fatality! E34 wins! Lol

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Your a lucky man! Car looks like you cleaned it up big time! So m60b40, 5 Speed, & A Alpina Kit? Definately is one sexy touring!

(how long did your headliner take you & where'd you get the material?)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by M540fella View Post
    Fatality! E34 wins! Lol
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinghorn View Post
    Your a lucky man! Car looks like you cleaned it up big time! So m60b40, 5 Speed, & A Alpina Kit? Definately is one sexy touring! (how long did your headliner take you & where'd you get the material?)
    Thanks! yeah 5 Speed for the moment, want to take of everything and then I in a few years I will think about a 6 speed, first comes suspension with brakes, then some interior items, then Exterior, then I will look into more power along with the 6 speed. I dont know how many hours it took me, I dont think it was that much in total, but I worked shorts periods of time during several days, I got the materials locally, we have a lot of shops that sell this kind of stuff, it was just generic fabric, nothing OEM. if you need to do yours, do it! dont hesitate, you wont regret it
    Sergio

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Here we go again!

So I had bad luck with the engine, it always ran fine, but I had trouble with emissions, change cats a couple of times, O2 sensors and nothing, problem was the engine was a Nikasil block, probably got here with no signs of wear, as I had no many troubles when we first installed, our fuel is terrible and so the Nikasil problem just grew from there.
    The only solution was to import a new engine, god lucky and found an Alusil block in good shape for good money, we brought it in and went with the installation.

how the engine got here

its an M60B40, same size as I had before, maybe some day in the future I will import an M62 and build a stroker with the parts from the Nikasil block, engine almost ready to go in

Got the intake clened up

Engine installed and ready

The car is running great now, I have a high igle issue, but it must be a vacuum leak, I have tested with anothe ICV and without the throttle cable connected and it stays around 1K rpms, will look into that this next weekend.

Now, I have been planning on rebuilding the front and rear suspension for some time now, I finally bought everything and will be going in soon.

I am not replacing any components of the struts at the front yet, the shocks were isntalled like 10K miles ago and in some time I will change those, but for now they are in good shape.

I havent smog it yet, but I will be doing that soon, hopefully everything will go well and I should be able to drive it legally pretty soon.
    Sergio

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Very nice. I bet it's a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    right now its like driving a very fast waterbed hahahahaha the new suspension should fix that
    Sergio

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Install of the rear suspension has began

Just a normal day at the shop
    Sergio