Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Infiniti Scratch Shield paint

My Cars
    '14 Focus

Infiniti Scratch Shield paint

Anyone know if this will be going into development for other brands such as BMW? I thought it was pretty interesting but who knows how long it'll fare, say, 5 years down the line...

"The EX is also the first production automobile to feature "Scratch Shield," a special "self-healing" clearcoat paint. The paint self-repairs fine scratches, such as fingernail scratches under door handles, restoring the EX's surface close to the original state. The process, which takes anywhere from one day to one week (depending on the surrounding temperature and the depth of the scratch), is accomplished through the use of a special highly elastic resin. This resin is combined with a conventional clearcoat to increase the paint's flexibility and strength by raising the resin density.[3]" Wikipedia
    BF.C OT Lego Club #58

My Cars
    '97 318ti
    I saw a development video about that. It was being developed by Nissan about 2 years ago. Pretty cool idea. In the video they took a wire brush to the paint and scratched it up pretty deep, but not to the metal. Then using a heat lamp to simulate the sun, the paint healed. I was wondering when Nissan was planning on implamenting this, interesting...

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    so, can you still polish or take a buffer to it.
    Ian

My Cars
    theres a similar product that has been around for a while, Armor coat

its an additive that they add to clearcoat and they spray areas like the inner fenderwells, and just lower fenders behind the wheels. Its designed to prevent your paint from chipping (tiny rocks juist 'bounce off'), dont know if it removes scratches. Its basically a sprayed on, very smooth, clear, rubberized finish.

It works like those vinyl clear bras, but sprayed on.

'93 325i

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by NONN37 View Post
    theres a similar product that has been around for a while, Armor coat

its an additive that they add to clearcoat and they spray areas like the inner fenderwells, and just lower fenders behind the wheels. Its designed to prevent your paint from chipping (tiny rocks juist 'bounce off'), dont know if it removes scratches. Its basically a sprayed on, very smooth, clear, rubberized finish.

It works like those vinyl clear bras, but sprayed on.

never knew of that? Do you know if it takes away at the overall apperance of the paint, like the depth and gloss........

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    Im pretty sure it does. Ive heard people say it leaves an orange peel texture i dont think you can sand it or buff it. thats usually why people only use it for painted fenderwells, and just behind the wheels where its least detectable but where chipping is more likely to happen.

im pretty sure this infiniti stuff is the same sort of stuff, only they spray the entire car.
    '93 325i

My Cars
    Fern Green 1999 M3
    Is there a link to this video?

My Cars
    '97 318ti
    I will search for the vid. I think it still may be in my iTunes.

My Cars
    '97 318ti
    Nissan's Offical site for the technology. http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html
    I don't think that this is like the ArmorCoat. This paint "heals" itself.

My Cars
    '97 318ti

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    I wonder how it looks up close, the texture part i dont really mind but ide love to get this on my front bumper because it looks like poka-dots with all the rock chips.