Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A vintage BMW race car build....Racing all over California with VARA in C-Sedan!

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Nice build! Everything looks sick.

My Cars
    e46 D-Mod, e28 euro
    Nice built!!! Always loved 02.

Are you running stock brakes? With the rear drums?

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Great work "Lost Brazilian".

It's great to see that 2002s still have a huge following and that it's such a great community where 02s are restored to stock showroom configuration, while so many of them are transformed into track rats. 2002s precluded the all mighty e30 M3. The track section on Bimmerforums could have a whole subsection dedicated to 2002 track car projects and it would be extremely active.

Here's another project.
    http://www.dereks2002.blogspot.com/

A real one-of-one factory Alpina car with Schnitzer motor.
    http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...opic/t,300001/

My own.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2002%20folder/

Lee

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo D View Post
    Nice built!!! Always loved 02.

Are you running stock brakes? With the rear drums?
    YES.

The vintage rules say I have to maintain whatever configuration came on the original car. So Discs in the front and Drums in the rear. But calipers and Rotors are free. So is drum size...I just have to maintain drums.

So I run some super rare vintage BREMBO 2 piston calipers and vented rotors. They are decent. I wish I did have a better setup though.....I might be going to a tilton pedal with witha bias knob.....maybe lets see.

My front calipers look exactly like these (this is a pic from the Ireland engineering site, they sell the aluminum version)

On the rears I run a "BIG DRUM KIT" hehe....no simply a 320i larger rear drums and larger wheel cyclinders for more rear bias.

As always you can find BMW Grills, BMW Lighting, and BMW Accessories and Chrome Bulbs at Stealth Auto.

My Cars
    '00 323Ci
    Holy crap dude! Very very very nice. I will most definitely go back and read this word for word, I only whipped through the pics right now. Nice looking welds, nice metal/body work. I honestly hope I can see this car in real life someday.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

Cheers.
    Jack $

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Holy crap dude! Very very very nice. I will most definitely go back and read this word for word, I only whipped through the pics right now. Nice looking welds, nice metal/body work. I honestly hope I can see this car in real life someday.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

Cheers.
    Thanks! I enjoy welding very much, once I got the tig I was practicing alot and gradually got better. I could lay a great bead on a flat practice metal peice but it is only when you have to weld things in weird positions on actually projects that your really challenged. Every time I well I'm getting better.

Last year I raced the British Extravaganza which is on the same weekend as BIMMERFEST. This year the boss said I have to work the show, So if the car is back together it will be in our booth at BIMMERFEST '08.

I'm doing lots of work to the car right now.....still to do is....

-striping the engine bay of the old paint

to do this I have to remove my master cylinder and brake lines and I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I might install a floor mount Tilton pedal setup and brake bias knob.

or just re-install the stock stuff with a tilton bias knob.

also planed....

-Major additions to my basic cage.

I want to extend the cage to the engine bay/shock towers. Adding additional door protection. (X-brace with dimpled gussets). Added bars to connect to my subframe (like on a e30), also bars connecting my rear shock towers to my diff mount. Lastly, adding an X on the rear down bars.

-Painting the new cage bars and engine bay.
    -Powercoating all my reinforced suspension parts and install them.

More Major WORK....

I'm rebuilding the motor!

So lots of updates to come for sure!

As always you can find BMW Grills, BMW Lighting, and BMW Accessories and Chrome Bulbs at Stealth Auto.

My Cars
    C360R Honda Civic Si
    Awesome write up. I'm definitely going to spend some time reading it. I was going to say that everything looks amazing, except the cage is a little lacking in some safety areas, but then I read you are doing some more work to it.

Great looking vintage car. Best of luck to you.

My Cars
    E36
    Just read over entire thread, awesome stuff Pedro. Keep us posted.
    I miss her, back in a BMW for the time being

My Cars
    1970 Buick Skylark
    Unbelievable story. Something that nearly all enthuasts dream of, but you've actually gone and done it. Fantastic, keep it going!

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    thank you very much!

...and remember the blog starts in 2006! I doesn't chronicle all the projects and work I did to the car in years prior while working on the car in carports under my apartment and what not....

Just to give you an idea I had to replace both rockers completely!! Most would of just gotten another shell but since this is an early 1600-2 shell it is actually 200lbs. lighter and no sunroof also is nice! Not to mention it's intresting history with BMWNA.

My vin# as confirmed by BMW mobile tradition is 1 of 357 1602's to ever make it to USA!

But most are not this brave to try to save all this rust....but I did! Call me crazy!

here is a sample of all the rust I removed.....

A-pillar.....gone!

inside the rockers

WE literally went to a junkyard in sun valley and cut up a large portion of a late model green 2002 to make the transplant. You can see where the incsions were made.....the donor car was green.

the cut line as seen on the inside of the rear quarter panel.

Good times ! RUST SUX !

My Cars
    Old Ones
    And if you weren't having enough fun already driving that fun car around the race track you end the post with coverage of you racing on speed tv in other peoples cars! Looks like your having a blast!

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan

Accusump install........

Here the accusump install I did back in October 13, 2005

I'd been thinking about an accusump for awhile after reading about an install. I checked out www.accusump.com and after reading the info there I decided right then to do it.

I got some parts off of ebay and the rest from pegasus race supply. I was able to the whole project for around $300.00 ! Pretty good! I had some left over hose from my oil cooler install and it was exactly the lenght that I needed!

You will need:

installation brackets #24-200 $17.50
    2 quart accusmp #24-026 $165.00
    oil line Check valve #24-280 $17.50
    Manual Valve (#24-260) $10.00
    Around 6ft of Oil hose but everybody length will vary...

all the necessary earls plumbing fittings....$$$ YMMV.

First off ... RTFM !!!

here a link to the installation instruction if you are curious,
    http://www.accusump.com/accusump.pdf/instructions.pdf

----------------------------

First I had to find a place to mount the sump. Humm....... First try behind my battery where the rear seat used to be... I drill the first 2 holes then Thankfully decide to check under the car to see if I'm clear to drill the top 2 holes.....i think so....so I go slow. Thank god I went slow as 1 of the holes comes out right on the rear brake line!! I guess this position will not work.....

after much fiddling.....of course I find the most logical place to put it that I should of thought of before! Duh!! Anyway, I drill and mount the sump....

On the oil side of the sump (the oil side) I place 3 washers so that it sits higher than the air side so that any air bubbles get pushed out per the instructions....

I mounted the manual valve on my passenger seat bracket next to the e-brake so that it is handy. Then up past the firewall, to the T-fitting.

Here is how I initially mounted the valve ( later after I painted the car I made a nicer mount...see earlier posts on page 1)

This is where I literally spent like 1 1/2 trying to figure out how to mount and plumb all this in a very confined space so that it fit and kinda looked decent. I finally had a stroke of genius and came up with the setup that you see here.

I decided to go with a remote oil filter head and oil cooler.

What you see is the Earls t-fitting; On the left is the incoming line from the accusump, on the right is the incoming oil from the oil cooler that passes thru the one-way check valve(brass part) so that oil does travel back into the oil cooler. The bottom part of the T-fitting is the one that goes back into the engine.

I had pressurized it with and air tank to 60psi the night before to check for any leaks. No leaks. Then I bleed the sump down to 8psi as the instructions told me to and left the valve in the open position.

I then added 2 quarts of oil to the engine.

Then I rechecked all my connections and directions and my logic.

crossed my fingers and started the car!

Vroom....vroom...oil pressure comes up as I look at the guage on the sump and it mimics my oil pressure gauge! Success!! As I rev the engine the gauge on the sump mimics the oil pressure gauge.

I let the car warm up.
    rev the car to raise oil pressure
    shut the manual valve and it held whatever pressure it had at the time I shut it. (70psi).
    I then turn off the car.
    wait 10 mins....

check the oil level....add a bit more oil...

check the gauge on the sump...still reading 70psi...cool. no leaks

I open the valve and watch my oil pressure gauge rise to 50psi! (with the engine off!) and the gauge on the sump lower as it pushes it's contents out to provide pressure.

I start the car now with oil pressure for the first time! and watch the sump refill itself now that the engine is on......!

Total Success!!!!

This is great! I'm so happy I did this what a ingenius peice of equipment!

The poor mans Dry sump!!

My car is now a WELL OILED MACHINE ! ha!

On to the next project!!!!!

for all the pics of my oil systems...check the oil systems directory in the gallery

or click this link,
    http://bmw1602.lostbrazilian.com/v1/...20Systems&pn=1

------------------------------------------------------------

more info .

The Accusump provides that extra margin of protection that you need against engine damage caused by loss of oil pressure. Racing and high performance street engines by nature are put under a lot of stress by the high G-load situations that they are placed in. As oil in your pan sloshes about, your oil pump pickup can become uncovered, which causes a loss of oil pressure and sets the stage for severe engine damage. The Accusump provides oil during these times reducing the potential for damage.

The Accusump, the original automotive oil accumulator, is designed to provide the engine with oil pressure before the starter is even engaged.

An Accusump is a cylinder shaped aluminum storage container that acts as a reservoir of pressurized oil, to be released when there is a drop in the oil pressure.

The Accusump is connected to the pressure side of an engine's oiling system and is charged by the engines own oil pump.
    Its simple, efficient design revolves around a hydraulic piston separating an air pre-charge side and the oil reservoir side.
    On the oil side of the Accusump it has an outlet that goes into the engine's oiling system, controlled by a valve.
    On the air side it's equipped with a pressure gauge and a Schrader air pre-load valve.

Pre-oiling
    Independent studies have indicated that up to 50% of wear on engine components occurs during the engine start-up, before oil pressure can be established by the oil pump.

The Accusump can eliminate this "Cold start scuffing" by delivering oil under pressure before the engine is started!

There are two common conditions when your engine is without its vital fluid.

The first, as I'm sure you've heard before, is during the start-up procedure.
    When you reach for that ignition your engine oil is sitting in your oil pan, maybe a little in your oil filter.
    But there is none where your engine needs it the most, where those metal on metal surfaces are.
    So as you turn that key and your engine starts to spin, your engine has no oil pressure, no supply of oil to those moving parts.
    Until your engine is running and the oil pump is pumping, it has very little protection from this kind of metal on metal wear.

The second condition when your engine loses oil pressure is during an extreme condition when the oil pressure surges.

Such as everyday hard braking and turning on the street (and most certainly on the track), extreme vehicle angles such as off-road conditions or in marine applications when there happens to be rough conditions.
    These are the same conditions that would spill your coffee out of your coffee cup.
    During these times the oil in the pan moves away from the oil pick-up tube (the tube that the oil pump sucks the oil out of the oil pan through) and there is a sudden loss of oil pressure.
    Again leaving your engine without that vital lubrication!

How Does an Accusump™ Work?

On initial start-up when the valve on the oil side is opened the pressurized oil is released into the engine and therefore pre-lubricating the engine prior to start-up.
    The Accusump holds whatever oil pressure the engine has at the time that it is shut off.
    After the engine is started and the oil pump has taken over, oil is pumped back into the Accusump.
    This moves the piston back and pressurizes the Accusump until it equalizes with engine's oil pressure.
    While driving, if the engine's oil pressure is interrupted for any reason, the Accusump releases its oil reserve again, keeping the engine lubricated until the engine's oil pressure comes back to normal.
    This release of oil could last from 15 to 60 seconds, depending on the size and speed of the engine.

In racing or hard driving conditions, the Accusump will automatically fill and discharge when needed as you corner, accelerate and brake.

operation....

normal running engine,

Discharging !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can also just buy the automatic electric valve!

that way you can put the sump and the valve anywhere.

Check out this clean instalation in a e3 M3
    he used a 1 qt unit and put it all under the hood.

http://drautox.sphosting.com/install.htm

It's good example of an install for a street car...

69' BMW 1602 Vintage Racecar BS-L Racing w/ VARA in Cali (@1602racer on IG)
    10' Toyota FJ Pre-Runner (LS3 big suspension - @trophyFJ on IG)
    17' F250 6.7l Tow Rig and shop truck
    '12 X5d Wifeymobile
    89' M3 *Sold / 88' M3 *Sold / 98' M3 Sedan Sold / 06' M3 Comp.Pkg.SMG *Sold
    My 1602 race car build thread.

My Cars
    '91 Galant VR-4
    This is an AWESOME build thread!!

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Thanks for sharing, very cool build! Remember my Dad having first a 1600 then a 2002 back in the late 60's. Cool stuff!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    And what do you do in your spare time?

Seriously, this is an amazing story.

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    Here's another project.
    http://www.dereks2002.blogspot.com/

Lee
    thanks Lee!

BTW... I had never seen this guys site! He doing a nice job and is also doing some out of the box stuff....looks like it will be a very cool car!!

69' BMW 1602 Vintage Racecar BS-L Racing w/ VARA in Cali (@1602racer on IG)
    10' Toyota FJ Pre-Runner (LS3 big suspension - @trophyFJ on IG)
    17' F250 6.7l Tow Rig and shop truck
    '12 X5d Wifeymobile
    89' M3 *Sold / 88' M3 *Sold / 98' M3 Sedan Sold / 06' M3 Comp.Pkg.SMG *Sold
    My 1602 race car build thread.

My Cars
    93 325is Spec E36 #2, 00 M5, 06 X3, 02 Yukon XL
    After reading this thread, I want to tell you the three things I'm thinking.

1) This is amazing - you're a great craftsman and your passion shows. It's awesome!
    2) I'm thinking you definitely are a single guy because half way through you'd have told us about the divorce.
    3) I'm glad you posted all of this before Setup airs - now we really know a lot more about who you are and we'll be rooting for you!

Congrats and thanks for sharing...

-Mike
    ///Mike 93 325is Spec E36 #2, 07 335xi, 06 X3, 02 Yukon XL (fer towin')
    Thanks to my sponsors: HMS Motorsport -- Landshark Automotive -- Sansossio Auto Body

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mijgilbert View Post
    3) I'm glad you posted all of this before Setup airs - now we really know a lot more about who you are and we'll be rooting for you!
    +1

The Brasileiro with the 1602 FTW.

-Carlos.

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by mijgilbert View Post
    After reading this thread, I want to tell you the three things I'm thinking.

1) This is amazing - you're a great craftsman and your passion shows. It's awesome!
    2) I'm thinking you definitely are a single guy because half way through you'd have told us about the divorce.

Congrats and thanks for sharing...

-Mike
    Wow....thanks!

1-Thank you very much, I enjoyed most of it (sanding sucks). I proud of the fact that I'm racing something I built. I'm really enjoy learning how to do things that previously I used to see and wish I could do the same.

2-I'm not married. But since I bought the car I've gone thru 3 girlfriends! my current girlfriend (for the last 4 years) is a professional ballerina and understands my passion and it helps that she is most busy with work on the weekends! Leaving me free to work on my car. So that makes it easy to avoid arguments like..... "you spend more time with you car than me!" ... since we still keep all our finances separate.... we avoid arguments like...."you spent more on your car on Christmas than on my present!".

Before you pervs ask for pics here's the website I made for her business.... www.puremotiondance.com

Here some nice pics from my birthday last year...... She chose the right cake don't you think?

They didn't have 2002 in the cake book!

Here take a piece!

3-Just remember it's a TV Show not a real race series!! SO much will probably be distorted or made to look a certain way. I'm glad I will be able to clear some possible questions up here on the forum.

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3 View Post
    +1

The Brasileiro with the 1602 FTW.

-Carlos.
    There will be another "brasiliero" on the show......this one is actually semi-famous....he has some serious racing history in his family. You might just see the battle of the Brazilians!

My Cars
    2003 M3
    I just read the entire thing again (read it the first time on the faq) and its still amazing work. You have inspired me so much...to bad Im married.

85 318i- Sold

95 332is- Sold

95 Hellrot M3- Sold

1975 2002- Sold

2020 X3M Competition- Custom E85 Tune- Catless Downpipes- Custom DIY E85 Analyzer- Designed and printed Custom Air Scoops

2003 M3- Custom Rotrex Supercharger setup-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    A Professional Ballerina? She's a Keeper! You do know how "limber" they are? J/k! Coundn't resist! LOL!

Been married over 20yrs....I'm very lucky that my Wife digs Sports, Auto Racing (F1 and ALMS), and puts up with me, though I can't say she's really much of a fan of "my" Bimmer! LOL!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    Cooper S DM race car, '05 Boxster S & '06 Cayman S

Alo Brasileiro perdido!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthauto View Post
    There will be another "brasiliero" on the show......this one is actually semi-famous....he has some serious racing history in his family. You might just see the battle of the Brazilians!
    Hello Pedro,
    Just discovered your thread, Whats a great build!
    I'm from Rio De Janeiro, been in the states since August od 1975.
    Only started racing in the fall of 2003 with my Cooper S.
    Got my "pilot " license with SCCA at Roebling Road in January of 2004. Since then I joined the BMW club racing. Started in JP then graduated to D-Mod.
    Still in the developement stages of making the Mini more competitive in D-Mod.
    If you are ever in the south near New Orleans, please give me a call.
    Regards,
    Paulo Steven Diniz...aka Steve Diniz
    ps: Pics of my D-Mod Mini & the '69 Alpina 2002 of my friend Roberto Aranha in Rio. (That's me standing next to it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dm53; 11-27-2008 at 08:48 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 SM,VW Golf R
    Thanks for sharing a lot of time with us. I always get a lot out of the build threads whether they are "big buck" or "low budget" it doesn't matter.

I great some great ideas from yours. Thanks, Chris
    #175 CM E46 M3
    Former Knee Dragger
    Real name= Chris P. Lewis
    Occupation= Green House Gas Creator, but I planted a GARDEN last year.
    "When you live inside a vacuum, nothing sucks"
    http://flickr.com/photos/8150451@N03...7602830737584/

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Wow!!

Congrats on every thing so far! This gives me great hope that someday I can indeed do the same and build my own car for a low cost!

Keep going!!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast