Thread: BMW Keyless Entry Problems

My Cars
    1998 M3

BMW Keyless Entry Problems

The car is a 98 m3/4/5 with 80k miles. When I got the car, the keyless entry worked fine. When I hit unlock, it would go beep-beep and unlock. When I hit lock it would go beep and lock. Now whenever I hit anything I get 3 beeps (instead of 1 or 2 as before). Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what is the fix? I don't really want to look into an aftermarket keyless entry setup. Thanks.
    2002 m5 clearwater metallic/caramel --- conforti software, corsa rsc exhaust with x pipe, 35% tint, uuc ssk w/ dssr, sachs hd clutch, beastpower rear sway bar mounts, powerflex bushings, clear bra, black grills

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    You may want to try and replace the battery in the remote to start. Remember that you have to do it quickly or else it will need initialized, which is a tremendous pain with directions that i had to write down and keep in my box.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    98 M3 Convert, and 03 Lincoln Aviator
    The 3 beeps means something is open. Either the doors, trunk or hood. If the lights inside are not on, I'm guessing either trunk or hood and I'm leaning toward the hood. The hood switch is on the passenger side fender (if memory serves) towards the headlights (maybe 10 inches back from the front edge of the hood). Or it could be the trunk switch. Check that too.

And the procedure for programming the remotes is (not that you need it, it's not a bad battery in the remote):

Disarm system,
    Open trunk and leave it open,
    Open driver door,
    get into driver's seat
    close driver door,

Turn key on and off 5 times in 10 seconds,
    car's LED will turn on solid

Then repeat this as many times as remotes (up to 4)
    open drivers door
    close drivers door
    press and release any button on the remote you want to program
    Led will go out for a couple seconds and come back on solid.

To finish
    Open drivers door,
    close trunk
    close drivers door

Test remotes

See? Easy huh?

My Cars
    1998 M3
    thanks a bunch, the batteries are fine but i'm going to check everything else. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the heat shield on the cold air intake is making the hood sit a touch higher, and that could be the problem. I'll see though
    2002 m5 clearwater metallic/caramel --- conforti software, corsa rsc exhaust with x pipe, 35% tint, uuc ssk w/ dssr, sachs hd clutch, beastpower rear sway bar mounts, powerflex bushings, clear bra, black grills

My Cars
    e36 M3/4
    does it beep 3 times if the gas lid is open?

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiBoy View Post
    The 3 beeps means something is open. Either the doors, trunk or hood. If the lights inside are not on, I'm guessing either trunk or hood and I'm leaning toward the hood. The hood switch is on the passenger side fender (if memory serves) towards the headlights (maybe 10 inches back from the front edge of the hood). Or it could be the trunk switch. Check that too.

And the procedure for programming the remotes is (not that you need it, it's not a bad battery in the remote):

Disarm system,
    Open trunk and leave it open,
    Open driver door,
    get into driver's seat
    close driver door,

Turn key on and off 5 times in 10 seconds,
    car's LED will turn on solid

Then repeat this as many times as remotes (up to 4)
    open drivers door
    close drivers door
    press and release any button on the remote you want to program
    Led will go out for a couple seconds and come back on solid.

To finish
    Open drivers door,
    close trunk
    close drivers door

Test remotes

See? Easy huh?
    YES IT WAS THE HOOD SWITCH!! Thank you so much that has been making me mad for a long time. I just bent the little metal end, and now it works fine. The hood wasn't reaching the metal end before.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by e36 Irfan View Post
    I'm not sure, I wouldn't think so though. I could definitely be wrong though

My Cars
    98 M3 Convert, and 03 Lincoln Aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by roriii View Post
    YES IT WAS THE HOOD SWITCH!! Thank you so much that has been making me mad for a long time. I just bent the little metal end, and now it works fine. The hood wasn't reaching the metal end before.
    No problem. That's what this forum is for. Glad you found it.

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    Quote Originally Posted by e36 Irfan View Post
    No it does not. I have locked the car while filling it up to go to the bathroom, and it only beeps once.

+1 on the trunk or hood sensor being either faulty or in the wrong place.