Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .:Spring Swap:.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma

.:Spring Swap:.

Ok so i've finally jumped off in the deep end. Tomorrow (Feb 9. at 10:17:39 AM EST) i am commencing the disassembly of the front end of my car. This will be more than swapping in an M42, i plan on redoing brakes, front suspension, fuel lines/system, gauges/interior, and cleaning up the frame and reinforcing anything that might be questionable. Who knows, maybe i'll find something really bad then scrap the whole car. I dont want this to turn into one of those project threads that take two years to complete as i would like to have this done by the end of June (meaning i should be done by the end of september). I'll start posting pics as soon as i make progress on getting the tired old M10 out.

BTW i need weight in the back of my truck because of all this snow we've been getting...so i think the M10 makes a good candidate for ballast.

My Cars
    I35
    By the topic i thought you where going to swap springs

My Cars
    81 323i
    michigan is gunna have some kickass e21s
    -Josh

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP, Model S P90D
    even a simple project can turn into a year long dilemma. So be careful - might want to just try one thing at a time.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewDude320i View Post
    even a simple project can turn into a year long dilemma. So be careful - might want to just try one thing at a time.
    Plus 1000! I would not pull the motor till the new one is built and ready to be put in and started. Then when you pull motor, do the front end and frame work and put the M42 in and drive it, working out the bugs. Then do the other things as you have time or it could end up getting in the way and towed off... Been there.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Yeah i know what you guys are saying...my dad, brother, and I restored a 67 GTO that took forever. I wanted to get the engine out now so i could start cleaning up the frame and everything though...I do need new fuel lines and a new fuel pump so those will be the first things to put in (even before the motor, but after I have it so I have a measurement guide). The interior stuff will all be done later. I am not aiming to restore the car, I just want something fun to take to Autox and for weekend cruises. The car in its previous state wasn't driveable anyways, so I went ahead and pulled the motor before it gets cold again (7º F tomorrow.)

My Cars
    92 325
    Just make sure you have a valve spring compressor with a few adapters.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Update:
    I got the RH front corner disassembled tonight, will be purchasing new lower control arms and brake setup. After a little more searching I realize I cannot get vented rotors for my '83 unless i put on the bigger '77 caliper, so I posted it to another thread.

After i get the other side taken off, I will post pics.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma

Front suspension dismantled

Here are some pics of the front susp. dismantled. Now on to ordering parts and planning out the brake system.

My Cars
    81 323i
    how long did it take for you to pull the motor?

find an m42 yet?
    -Josh

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    There's a guy in Warren who says he will have an M42 available in April, so I've been talking to him about getting his. I'll probably put in the motor w/o doing any mods to it, then maybe do an overhaul later depending on how things go...if anything it will be better than the failing M10 and burnt up trans i had. Took probably a total of 5 hrs to get the motor out, the longest being getting all the wiring sorted out w/o hacking.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma

I never posted pics pulling out the engine!

I never posted pics pulling out the motor a few weeks back....here they are:

Plenty of fuel!

My Cars
    81 323i
    i need a garage

did you pull the engine by yourself?
    -Josh

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Quote Originally Posted by wayfast View Post
    i need a garage

did you pull the engine by yourself?
    Haha it's my dad's garage ...my car sat outside in the lovely weather for a few weeks with the motor out and a cover that barely stayed on. And now i had to twist his arm to let me use it to redo the front suspension. I pulled the motor with my buddy (the guy in the hooded sweatshirt)...made it a bit quicker, he worked on labeling the wiring while i took out the trans and other mechanical stuff.

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    nice work....now cut those perches so those coil overs fit better, and weld on the little ring that came with them.

I can pull an M10 engine in about 4 hours with no distractions(or stuck bolts) by myself, I find it sad I've pulled out enough of them to actually get good at it....

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    thank god you are being fuelled on premium. better than that bud light shite you Americans drink . American beer is like making love in a canoe. "making love in a canoe?" "its fucking close to water"

I want to see high compression and ITB's on that m42 sonoma . Look forward to the build
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    nice work....now cut those perches so those coil overs fit better, and weld on the little ring that came with them.

I can pull an M10 engine in about 4 hours with no distractions(or stuck bolts) by myself, I find it sad I've pulled out enough of them to actually get good at it....

Yeah i'd like to cut those perches to fit some wider wheels on there.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    thank god you are being fuelled on premium. better than that bud light shite you Americans drink.
    haha i am not a fan of light beers either.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I guess I'm ruined for beer....I never had a beer untill I was in Germany and beer was cheaper than a coke....American beer (aside from some micro brews, Alaska Amber and Shiner) is terrible.....

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    good thing you're doing this. There is a good possibility that you'll need to modify the steering rack clamp when you finally get the M42. Pic #3. I can take photos of mine, since my car is up on stands now. I also scanned a great deal of info on the wiring I had to do to get the car running. I helped a guy get his M42 in his 2002 running. Super stoked for your project.

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek View Post
    good thing you're doing this. There is a good possibility that you'll need to modify the steering rack clamp when you finally get the M42. Pic #3. I can take photos of mine, since my car is up on stands now. I also scanned a great deal of info on the wiring I had to do to get the car running. I helped a guy get his M42 in his 2002 running. Super stoked for your project.
    Most definately man. I didn't realize you chimed in until i updated the thread just now. Was the guy with the 2002 "jakeb" from MI? He's one of my buddies up here and after seeing that motor in his car it sealed the deal for me! Jake sent me the schematics, but I am not really concerned about integrating it with the original gauge cluster or car controls right now, but will want to keep the ignition stuff the same and put in an E30 or aftermarket fuel pump. Granted, I am probably making it sound easier than it actually is, but I havent had a chance to delve into those schematics yet and only then will reality hit. I would really like to just take all the dash harness stuff out and do my own circuits for headlights, park lights, etc, but time may not permit at this time.

Ended up giving the guy in warren a verbal (more like PM text) agreement to purchase his M42 w/ trans and computer, which he should have out in mid-april. Hoping by then to have the new fuel lines and brakes reassembled. Ended up cutting spring perches off last week, repainted and mounted the bilstein sports with GC's on the strut assemblies. Got the 323i rotors in Monday of this week, mounted one to see how it looks and I am totally stoked. Found out the lower control arm mounting point on the driver's side has an oblong sort of hole (Refer to my thread WTB: Subframe). All in all, things are coming together. Hope to order or find some of the volvo girling calipers by the end of the week. The next big thing will be getting all the brake and fuel lines sorted out...as of right now i am fairly certain my rear drums have little to no actuation.

My Cars
    02 530/5 sport,68 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ribbon Army View Post
    nice, you should do a DIY of the install on the m42 with lots of pics
    I'd be interested in this write up too. I'm thinking an M42 will go into my car later on. David

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Four piston Girling calipers came in today...should have them setup by the end of the week, and will hopefully have a front subframe by the weekend to put the suspension back together. Once i get the car together as a rolling chassis, I plan on jacking up the rear and dismantling the rear brakes and taking out the old fuel and brake lines, plus the passenger side fuel tank. Anyone have an extra allen bolt that holds the front rotor to the hub? Local hardware place doesnt have any and to get one special off bavauto is ≈$10 (shipping included).

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Go to the dealership and get several, they're probably 50 cents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast