Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Headlights/Installing Angel Eyes

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    You never explained how you went about just having the angel eyes light and not the parking lights. Something about covering the contact on the parking bulb?

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Quote Originally Posted by 540IForMe View Post
    It will be cloudy until you use the plastx. You will feel the texture changing and it should be smooth once you get to the finishing grit.

It is crucial that you get all the sanding scratches left from the previous grit out using the finer paper.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Firstly,
    Thank you for taking your time and effort to write up a well described and easy to follw DIY with good quality pics. I'm sure plenty of owners have taken advantage of your good will.

Well I followed you write up (almost) to a T but unfortunately didn't get them sparkling as much as yours. I actually started with 800 grade 'cause I figured my h/lights weren't as bad as yours (way back on your first post). I followed with 1,000, 1,500, 1,800 then finished with 2,000. I took my time and spent about 5 minutes on h/light per grade. Wrapped it up with PlastX just like you recommended.

On the first pic (about half way through the procedure) you'll see that I've sought of partly gone through what looks like a protective coating or similar. Have I or what? Do I need to start all over again with the 400 like you did and 'cut' through that coating?

The end result does look better than when I started but I reckon they could/should look even better.

Last edited by Pistonbroke; 04-05-2010 at 04:57 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    WRARR!!!

This will be year number 3 for these ebay lights...

Yeah, I guess it was a big secret for you,wasn't it? To answer what kit and where did you buy it from AND if your AE in front of the lenses?

You dont have to if you dont want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonbroke View Post
    Firstly,
    Thank you for taking your time and effort to write up a well described and easy to follw DIY with good quality pics. I'm sure plenty of owners have taken advantage of your good will.

Well I followed you write up (almost) to a T but unfortunately didn't get them sparkling as much as yours. I actually started with 800 grade 'cause I figured my h/lights weren't as bad as yours (way back on your first post). I followed with 1,000, 1,500, 1,800 then finished with 2,000. I took my time and spent about 5 minutes on h/light per grade. Wrapped it up with PlastX just like you recommended.

On the first pic (about half way through the procedure) you'll see that I've sought of partly gone through what looks like a protective coating or similar. Have I or what? Do I need to start all over again with the 400 like you did and 'cut' through that coating?

The end result does look better than when I started but I reckon they could/should look even better.

It my opinion looks like you are almost there BUT either didn't apply enough force while working with Meguiars PlastX.

In my opinion 800 is not enough. You gotta go atleast with 400/600. Then if everything done right, you dont need 1800. Just go from 1500 to 2000.

Also, I dont think there is protective coating. I raped mines starting with 200 (and washed away a lot of powder) and they came out not that bad (see pics above).

Do you have a pic of how they looked before?

PS. Btw did you open them cause reflectors look kinda foggy (dusty)?
    Last edited by siny528i; 04-05-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Adding Some Input

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    Yeah, I guess it was a big secret for you,wasn't it? To answer what kit and where did you buy it from AND if your AE in front of the lenses?

It my opinion looks like you are almost there BUT either didn't apply enough force while working with Meguiars PlastX.

In my opinion 800 is not enough. You gotta go atleast with 400/600. Then if everything done right, you dont need 1800. Just go from 1500 to 2000.

Also, I dont think there is protective coating. I raped mines starting with 200 (and washed away a lot of powder) and they came out not that bad (see pics above).

Do you have a pic of how they looked before?

PS. Btw did you open them cause reflectors look kinda foggy (dusty)?
    I guess I'll redo them and start with 400 next time.
    Yes, I have pics of before but not that good quality.
    Yes, I opened them right up and cleaned the insides as well.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonbroke View Post
    I guess I'll redo them and start with 400 next time.
    Yes, I have pics of before but not that good quality.
    Yes, I opened them right up and cleaned the insides as well.
    Thanks.
    Cool! You will be fine.

You dont have to go with 200. 400 is more than enough. I did mines with 200 because they were too bad AND I wanted to make sure I am not gonna do it again.

Working with 200 took most of the time. It produced a lot of powder. I did it until I was sure there are not pits left. Few times I stopped, wiped it with paper towel drying and making sure i did not miss any pits.

Then I used 400 which took about half of time I spent with 200. Again, I stoped once in while,drying and making sure i did not miss anything.

Once you ve done 1000, it feels very soft AND when its wet you may think its almost done, BUT once its dry it becomes all foggy. Then you continue with 1500 and 2000 until there will be almost no friction left.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    @Pistonbroke, mine looked the same with that "protective coating" look. I spent more than 5 minutes on each grit though. Especially the final grit. I really wanted to make sure the sanding was uniform. And a lot of elbow grease when I applied the PlastX.
    2000 540i M-sport
    1991 Camaro RS LT1/T56 Procharger ATI

"The laws of physics cannot be repealed,
    even with ASC+T/DSC" --As stated in the driver's manual.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Just picked up a set of ccfl AE's... thank you so much for posting this! I can't wait to get them installed! My lights were so pitted that I figured I needed to buy a whole new setup. You have just saved me hundreds of dollars!
    Next I need to go to my indi to get my DRL's deleted.
    Last edited by byslexic; 04-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    1986 Euro 525e
    I am in the process of refinishing my headlights on my Z4 right now. The "protective" coating was actually starting to yellow and had deteriorated on top of the light and looked terrible. I obviously have had to sand through that to get it to look well. So for those of you who have done this a while back and sanded through the coating (If you went 400 or 600 you definitely did), how are the lights holding up so far? Beyond the Plastic Polish are you guys running any sort of wax/seal on it? Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseiah View Post
    I am in the process of refinishing my headlights on my Z4 right now. The "protective" coating was actually starting to yellow and had deteriorated on top of the light and looked terrible. I obviously have had to sand through that to get it to look well. So for those of you who have done this a while back and sanded through the coating (If you went 400 or 600 you definitely did), how are the lights holding up so far? Beyond the Plastic Polish are you guys running any sort of wax/seal on it? Thanks!
    Mines are looking like I just did them and I use Lamin-X protective film.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseiah View Post
    So for those of you who have done this a while back and sanded through the coating (If you went 400 or 600 you definitely did), how are the lights holding up so far? Beyond the Plastic Polish are you guys running any sort of wax/seal on it? Thanks!
    I didn't bust through all of the coating but the whole headlight is holding up ok. Obviously, to keep them clear as long as possible, periodic touch up will be needed. I need to take mine off and redo the PlastX stage at least, but they are nowhere near as bad as they were when I originally did this. I didn't use any kind of sealant or wax.
    2000 540i M-sport
    1991 Camaro RS LT1/T56 Procharger ATI

"The laws of physics cannot be repealed,
    even with ASC+T/DSC" --As stated in the driver's manual.

My Cars
    1986 Euro 525e
    Mines are looking like I just did them and I use Lamin-X protective film.
    Quote Originally Posted by 540IForMe View Post
    I didn't bust through all of the coating but the whole headlight is holding up ok. Obviously, to keep them clear as long as possible, periodic touch up will be needed. I need to take mine off and redo the PlastX stage at least, but they are nowhere near as bad as they were when I originally did this. I didn't use any kind of sealant or wax.
    Sounds good, was just wondering what sort of maintenance to expect. I have now problem hitting them with PlastX every month or two.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Check it out! I installed my AE's today!

I didn't clean my lenses because I was short on time, but I will get to that another day.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this DIY!!!!! It went very smoothly thanks to everyone's input here on bimmerforums!

There's nothing like the feeling of finishing a project yourself!!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by byslexic View Post
    Check it out! I installed my AE's today!

I didn't clean my lenses because I was short on time, but I will get to that another day.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this DIY!!!!! It went very smoothly thanks to everyone's input here on bimmerforums!

There's nothing like the feeling of finishing a project yourself!!
    Nice job!!! You're car is almost identical to my bro's.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=313

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Nice job!!! You're car is almost identical to my bro's.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=313
    Nice! Same year, same color; I like it! lol..... now he just needs some AE's!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by byslexic View Post
    Nice! Same year, same color; I like it! lol..... now he just needs some AE's!
    He already did. Here's his sig.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealet23 View Post
    You never explained how you went about just having the angel eyes light and not the parking lights. Something about covering the contact on the parking bulb?
    Sorry for not answering questions sooner....

I rigged my lights so the parking lights are off and only flash when ou use the turn signal.
    Just find out which contact on the bulb is for the parking light and cover it up. I'll break it down a little better when i return from work..
    Pull out your parking bulb, you will see the two contact points for the 2 filaments. Trial and error which one controls what and use some electrical tape to cover the parking filament. Describing it can only help so much, you have to get out there and do it.

lol! Yes, it's a giant secret...

This will be year number 3 for these ebay lights...

Go to ebay, search for 4000K CCFL Angel eyes...

Seriously, if you have a question not being answered in a thread, just PM the person... they won't bite.
    Last edited by FP5241; 04-29-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Update:
    One of my inverters went out again, so, Fab and Orkhan insisted I place the inverters inside the housing as per this DIY. I have a couple of things to add to the DIY.
    1- The DIY is on a light housing that doesn't have a circular window for viewing the level bubble. I had to route the AE ring cables with a slight deviation around the window (will post pics tonight).
    2- The double sided tape I used to secure the inverters inside the housing was too thin to reach the curved housing wall. I doubled up the tape and it adhered to the housing with no problem.
    Props to Orkhan for the CCFL Inverter!
    1-

2-

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Pull out your parking bulb, you will see the two contact points for the 2 filaments. Trial and error which one controls what and use some electrical tape to cover the parking filament. Describing it can only help so much, you have to get out there and do it.

lol! Yes, it's a giant secret...

Go to ebay, search for 4000K CCFL Angel eyes...

Seriously, if you have a question not being answered in a thread, just PM the person... they won't bite.
    Thanks a bunch...for both answers,
    I understand, you probably were away doing something else...jk

Thats what I thought. Different temperature. Yours of 4000k are looking so close to real ones, that's why I asked. Mine's are more blueish, but still cool.

UPDATE

I dont know if this topic popped up before, but make sure you use tape that will hold high temperature. I recently opened one of my lenses and found out that tape I used to secure the wires is almost vaporized.

siny528i

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    UPDATE

I dont know if this topic popped up before, but make sure you use tape that will hold high temperature. I recently opened one of my lenses and found out that tape I used to secure the wires is almost vaporized.
    Photos?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

New E39 owner and want to add AE

Hey! I just recently purchased a 1997 BMW E39 about 3 weeks ago. I used to drive a Toyota Camry and am loving my new ride. I am new to the forums and BMW for that fact. I want to install these AE as my light output is really poor however I don't know specifically which AE will fit my car. Will those from a 2000 and up model fit my 97? And what kelvin should i consider? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks you guys.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Photos?
    I wish I could post some pics but I didn't make any. I will try and post them for the second lens.
    I used heavy duty construction tape when I did mines about 9 months ago and I just found out that its all melted.

Quote Originally Posted by rpelayo15 View Post
    Hey! I just recently purchased a 1997 BMW E39 about 3 weeks ago. I used to drive a Toyota Camry and am loving my new ride. I am new to the forums and BMW for that fact. I want to install these AE as my light output is really poor however I don't know specifically which AE will fit my car. Will those from a 2000 and up model fit my 97? And what kelvin should i consider? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks you guys.
    You just need to search Ebay for "Angel Eye E39". Read description if its gonna fit your car. 6000k - white but slightly blueish, 4000k - slightly yellowish, that makes it look like real ones. I have now 6000K installed and I like them. Its not really too blue, but if they go out I will replace them with 4000K.
    Last edited by siny528i; 07-03-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I wish I could post some pics but I didn't make any. I will try and post them for the second lens.
    I used heavy duty construction tape when I did mines about 9 months ago and I just found out that its all melted.
    Are you talking about the double sided tape?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Are you talking about the double sided tape?
    Nope, i did not use double sided tape. Just small pieces of "regular" tape over wires.

My Cars
    523se e39
    in this pic 1 has been sanded and polished and the other is untouched. i have both finnished now and will be doing the AE upgrade soon too. must say big thanks for this guide its worked brilliantly

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Nice job tsx.
    You can definately tell the difference.

GL with the A/E upgrade.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast