Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Headlights/Installing Angel Eyes

My Cars
    1998 E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerE36freak View Post
    how exactly do you wire them into the parking lights though?
    this is a DIY i too could use.

Thanks in advance

Dubs
    "In Dubs We Trust"

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    I chose not to include the wiring part because of time constraints, as well as many different ways people wire them.

Basically, you need a power and ground. All I did was find the hot wire for the park lights(can't remember colors), and tapped into that. Just go the bulb housing and move back 1.5" to 2" to find a place to tap in. I had to extend the wire from the AEs so I just soldered a section in between the AE wiring, and the parking light wire. You can use wire taps to get power from the parking lights or do like I did and strip some wire and then solder the AE wire into the existing parking light wire.

Then you need a ground. I didn't feel like drilling any holes in my car so I just found an existing hole that was occupied by a screw. I stole this picture from wquiles(author of the DIY mentioned earlier) and edited to show the screw I'm talking about.

There are other places to ground them but this one was convenient as it was located right above the headlight vent(the ones the AE wires run through).
    2000 540i M-sport
    1991 Camaro RS LT1/T56 Procharger ATI

"The laws of physics cannot be repealed,
    even with ASC+T/DSC" --As stated in the driver's manual.

My Cars
    2001 330xi
    who from on Ebay did you get these angel eyes from?

My Cars
    97-m3

very nice write up mike!!

nice detailed thread. It sorta helped me with my dingy fog lights on our new toy. still need some touch up, they were very similiar of cleanliness of your original shots of the headlights. I used 2000 grit, possibbly should go down...did not think that they were too bad to need a rougher paper....very nice write up and welcome to the import world!

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Thanks!

Justin?
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    97-m3

yeah it's me!

when I had my m3 I was a member on here so just starting this stuff all over again.....how i ended up in the e46 now is that last week i found my m3 and tried to buy it back...some young chick bought it and there is no way she will be able to handle it or afford the maintence involved!...n e ways..got the e46 and kinda want to do stuff, so we should get the e39 & e46 together in the garage!!!

My Cars
    Dreier Fünfer & Siebener
    Wow gorgeous. Am doing that for sure!
    Chad

Not all quotes you see on the internet are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by madm3 View Post
    when I had my m3 I was a member on here so just starting this stuff all over again.....how i ended up in the e46 now is that last week i found my m3 and tried to buy it back...some young chick bought it and there is no way she will be able to handle it or afford the maintence involved!...n e ways..got the e46 and kinda want to do stuff, so we should get the e39 & e46 together in the garage!!!
    Sounds good. I need to replace my thrust arm bushings Hell, a porter cable and a good buff should be next after that.
    2000 540i M-sport

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    OK, Mike... I'm getting a list going now.
    1. Resonator delete
    2. AE's
    3. ? (Your next DIY)

Sooooo, what kind of beer and what weekend are you free?

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Haha. I only get Sundays off(and one day during the week) and every other weekend I have obligations....so, a weekday off might be better.

Don't you have an extra set of covers? If so, get to polishing them. If you want to do something let me know. I'll help with what I can.
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    '01 540ia '95 Acura Legend Coupe Type II
    looks great I'm assuming you don't have/disabled the DRL's...or are they not on due to the way you wired the AE's? I'm going to definitely clean my covers...the installation worries me...not that you didn't detail it to a T..I just have two left hands and am blind when it comes down to anything other than brakes, oil..ya know ez DIY $#!+...also who'd you hookup w/on ebay?

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-speed Sport /// '94 Z28 Camaro 'vert
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdublup View Post
    looks great I'm assuming you don't have/disabled the DRL's...or are they not on due to the way you wired the AE's? I'm going to definitely clean my covers...the installation worries me...not that you didn't detail it to a T..I just have two left hands and am blind when it comes down to anything other than brakes, oil..ya know ez DIY $#!+...also who'd you hookup w/on ebay?
    The guy he got them from on ebay no longer sells them...I've already looked
    FOR SALE '00 540i 6-speed 101k mi - 260 RWHP & 311 RWTQ - OEM '00 M5 tails, OEM '03 M-tech rear bumper, Magnaflow, 6000k fogs, CDV delete, M5 rear swaybar, Akebono ceramic pads, Brembo rotors, AMSOIL, etc.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    What! Wonder why he would just quit. I'll look into finding if we can still get them from where he did.
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    Thanks! keep us posted...do you have pics of the packaging? We might be able to find them elsewhere by that.
    FOR SALE '00 540i 6-speed 101k mi - 260 RWHP & 311 RWTQ - OEM '00 M5 tails, OEM '03 M-tech rear bumper, Magnaflow, 6000k fogs, CDV delete, M5 rear swaybar, Akebono ceramic pads, Brembo rotors, AMSOIL, etc.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Nope, just came in a small brown box, with no brand name markings on it. I'll take a look at ebay later to see if I find some that look similar.
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    I found them again on Ebay so pm if you want sellers name.
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    2000 M5 & 2000 540i sport
    Mike- You are the man! I too found Jersey Phones and just this afternoon finished the install and it went perfectly thanks to your excellent directions. And for the price, these angel eyes are a steal. The only difference between our installs is that I used silicon sealant in lieu of the faster hardening stuff. I fought the urge to finish it yesterday and let the sealant dry over night. I must say mine look as good as yours and that is saying something. And, best of all I only broke a couple pieces of plastic crap. I always break a plastic tab or two no matter how careful I am! Got the UGO installed and the aluminum pedals in the m5 too, so overall it was a good day! Your instructions help a bunch and I can't wait for the other set of AEs to get here so I can do the M5 as well. Thanks Bill

My Cars
    1998 E39 535i
    Yeh I ordered from JP too, but living in the back end of the planet, Western Australia, I have to wait a while for them to get here - by carrier pigeon and then by pygmie marathon runners.

Dubs
    "In Dubs We Trust"

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, Turbo Mustang, Ford Expedition
    That was a great DIY!

Another method I have found that works great (but is probably more expensive for DIYer) is to wet sand the lens with 1000 and then shoot them with a nice automotive clear like you'd use on a 2 stage, base/clear paint job. You can have the shop doing your M5 bumper install do it while it's being painted! A bonus is that the Clear is crystal clear and diamond hard, as well as being a UV inhibiter so your lenses will never yellow or fade.

I've done this to most of the cars I've painted. There's nothing worse than having fresh paint and dingy headlights.

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    awesome writeup +10

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    99 BMW 528IT, 93 Acura Integra
    i dont know if this has been asked but what angel eyes did you purchase. are they the ones for E39's.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Yes, I purchased angel eyes for an E39. Read back through posts and you will find the sellers name.
    2000 540i M-sport

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    "Once they are out, clean up the plastic surface right behind where the lenses used to rest with some rubbing alcohol. This is so the glue that you are going to use has a clean surface to adhere to."

This part I was looking at last night, and it seems like on one edge or side, there isn't a whole lot of space to attach these rings to. I guess I'm a little apprehensive to do this, worried that it won't fit right. How big are these rings, and will it just be nice and cozy on the one 'short' side?

Thanks..

My Cars
    I actually put mine on the back of the glass bezels so that they fit better and the lights look the same until you turn them on. This is the best way to do it in my opinion.

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    That's not a bad idea, especially since I have extra glass bezels incase I screw up.

One last dumb question, routing the power and ground wires out the breather hole.. On my covers (98 528i), that is on the opposite side of where the ballasts can fit. Is there enough length in the wires and how did you get them thru the breather hole? I didn't see how to snake the wires thru...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast