Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: It's Official - BMW Returning to ALMS!!

My Cars
    Cmod/GTS4 M3,E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stenney View Post
    The contract BMW NA had with PTG expired at the end of 2006 and they elected not to renew it. The E46 M3 had gone out of production and BMW was not interested in putting a V8 in it and continuing. The V8 was legal BTW. Then you could just add about all of what you've stated above. Tom Milner is a great guy and I'd also love to see PTG back with BMW again, but I don't think there's any chance of it at all.
    I knew the V8 was legal for 07, just wish someone would have jumped on it, "PTG". I loved the sound of the Panoz cars on the track, but they just seem quite underdeveloped compared to the Ferrari and Porsche. Of course money talks, so I am sure from a financial standpoint, for PTG, the Panoz was a reasonable choice.
    I would love to ask BMW why they continue to sink so much money into F1. IMHO I just dont see the benefit in F1, with respect to transferring technology to road going cars. I am sure plenty will disagree with that statement. While I appreciate the level of tech with F1, to me they are just high powered go carts....

Sorry I got a little off post there toward the end.. =)

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Dang this is getting a lot of attention on bf.c hehe

Soon all the subsections will know that BMW is coming back to ALMS

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerDawg View Post
    Balls hot. Thanks God BMW is finally getting factory support for ALMS. F1 is too cool for, so this is where it's at. I feel sorry for Porsche...
    Fixed

My Cars
    No racecars...
    sweet jesus. thats the way the new m3 should look.

My Cars
    2011 E91
    I really really wonder how much?!?!?

I need a couple of companies to go public FAST!!!!!!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    2011 E91 328i - Valentine One - LED Interior - Eibach Coilovers - Vossen Wheels
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod
    1990 E30 325is - Red on Black
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible - Silver on Black
    2000 E39 540i Sport - Black on Black
    2005 325iT - Blue on Tan - 6sp - Koni's - Eibach - Valentine One - 3.64 LSD
    2006 E90 330i - Silver on Black
    2014 535i - Space Grey on Black - H&R - Valentine One

My Cars
    05 330i ZHP
    I have a dumb question. Looking at these pictures and all the pictures and press releases in other threads, where is the engine on this beast? From the interior shot and the overhead hood shot, there doesn't appear to be room for a V8 engine in the front. Does that mean this is a mid- or rear-engined race car, and not particularly anything like a production M3 besides the engine block?

Can some hardcore race junkies enlighten me?
    This space intentionally left blank

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Normally it will be placed far back into the engine bay as possible and normally as close to the ground as physically possible. They could probably fit 2 of those V8s in there is they really wanted to

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jknopp44 View Post
    IMHO I just dont see the benefit in F1, with respect to transferring technology to road going cars. I am sure plenty will disagree with that statement.
    I will...I'd be willing to suggest that there's more technology transfer to be gained by running F1 than there is by modifying an already existing street car to race in a GT series.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ's325ITS View Post
    that is a lot of cooling ducts for the rear tires.
    Has nothing to do with cooling the tires...the ducts are there to extract air out of the wheel wells in order to cut down on drag.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmkincaid View Post
    ...but that big wing and that body kit just scream rice to me. Too much imho.
    Hard not to laugh at you...

The definition of rice is racy looking stuff without a purpose...it can't possibly be "rice" when every part on the car is designed in CFD software and the wind tunnel to make the car as fast and slick as possible on the race track.

Rice would be you using the big wing and huge fenders on your street car that has no use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    More here: Wow!
    Now that's a funny link...a bunch of posters commenting on how cool the wheels look and arguing over whether it has a SMG transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfWMB View Post
    Does that mean this is a mid- or rear-engined race car, and not particularly anything like a production M3 besides the engine block??
    The engine is right under the hood where it should be...remember a V8 is 2/3's the length of an inline 6. Looking at how far "back" in the car the cage is placed (see A-pillars), BMW obviously is doing a lot of work to move weight to the rear in this car. The engine is probably right against the firewall and dropped all the way down to the subframe with a dry-sump oil pan.

My Cars
    05 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Alpine99 View Post
    Normally it will be placed far back into the engine bay as possible...
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    The engine is right under the hood where it should be...
    Thanks for the info.

My car's gonna need some more fins, vents and ducts.

Jeff
    This space intentionally left blank

My Cars
    Cmod/GTS4 M3,E92 M3
    I will...I'd be willing to suggest that there's more technology transfer to be gained by running F1 than there is by modifying an already existing street car to race in a GT series.
    So you really do think that by racing "cars" such as in F1, that a company will gain more tech knowledge that will actually apply to road cars!!??? I would think that indeed by modifying a street car one could directly show what type of brake and or aero improvements "for example" would benefit a road going car..... I would love to see what actually coorelates from F1 to the street... Indeed the technology in F1 is incredible... but from a cost to benefit standpoint.. I dont see the connection IMHO

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmkincaid View Post
    ...but that big wing and that body kit just scream rice to me. Too much imho.
    Obviously someone that does not watch any Sports Car racing at all. ALMS, LMS, JLMS (ALMS for '08), GTCC, FIA GT, etc all have those large wings and other aero aids, all controled (size and placement) by the sanctioning body's very strict rule book. If you don't take advantage of the rules, then you do not win. It aint no beauty contest!

ps, you got a real cool track in NY ya know? Watkins Glen? Held F1 GP's for years even.....Sports Cars too! Check it out sometime.....

Cheers!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    E90 TiAg
    Quote Originally Posted by jjr32 View Post
    2500 lb / 485hp.... I say so !
    Is that right??! That's a crazy high lb/hp ratio

My Cars
    M42
    So you really do think that by racing "cars" such as in F1, that a company will gain more tech knowledge that will actually apply to road cars!!??? I would think that indeed by modifying a street car one could directly show what type of brake and or aero improvements "for example" would benefit a road going car..... I would love to see what actually coorelates from F1 to the street... Indeed the technology in F1 is incredible... but from a cost to benefit standpoint.. I dont see the connection IMHO
    Just a few things that's trickled down:

Sequential and now paddle shift gear boxes, turbocharging, wheel and tire construction and compound technology, improved electronic system management efficiency, brake caliper design and rotor material technology. List goes on.

Then there are things you don't readily notice or see in terms of a part or a tangible system like improving the efficiency of various system interactions and design efficiency through improved data analysis tools and construction methods (especially composites) learned from Formula 1. Fatigue analysis of component designs and materials, backed up by real-life evidence in arguably the most grueling test conditions, ect...

Plus you are only thinking in terms of the auto company when in truth it's also the various suppliers to the auto company, many of whom are also involved in either or both OEM and aftermarket manufacture (Beru, Sachs, Koni, Brembo just to name a few) who benefit enormously from the R&D being funded by the auto company.

If you really wanna know some of the details, start reading Racecar Engineering or email BMW Motorsport. Can't be THAT hard to answer your own question.
    Last edited by szed; 02-08-2008 at 02:20 AM.

My Cars
    Absolutely a greater benefit to F1. There aren't that many huge technology breakthroughs in taking a street car and converting it to race under a strict set of guidelines like ALMS. What exactly is going to transfer from this E92 race car to the next M3?

Technology jumps happen in a series like F1 where engineers have more of a clean sheet of paper to start from. The major technology breakthroughs have already occurred on the E92...any changes made to the race car are simply fine tuning the car to go faster. Transmission technology, structural adhesives, composite structures, composite brake rotors, engine technology, etc, etc...those things aren't "developed" for a GT car, they are developed in F1 and find their way down into street cars and GT race cars alike.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lucentaz View Post
    Is that right??! That's a crazy high lb/hp ratio
    There are plenty of club race Porsche's running a much better power/weight ratio than that, and even a few club race BMW's.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by szed View Post
    Sequential and now paddle shift gear boxes
    Paddle shift? Yes. Computer controlled manual gearboxes? Yes (but they existed in transfer trucks for years before they ever made it to cars). Sequential? I don't know of any street cars with sequential gear boxes, no matter what BMW and Ferrari want to call them for marketing purposes. They are still H-pattern gear boxes that happen to be shifted by a computer...they aren't sequential at all.

Question: Why did this thread get merged and moved out of the Professional Motorsports forum?!?

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    it looks great, but with all those fins, doesnt the rear end look like a merc clk?

My Cars
    '88 M3, '03 330i ZHP
    Can we move this thread back to the Professional Motorsports forum since this is news about "Professional Motorsports". Maybe then we could avoid the rice comments...

Or are we allowed to just post for sale threads wherever we want and OT posts wherever we want. Consistency...
    David
    1988 Zinnoberot E30 M3

My Cars
    328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj View Post
    I wonder if it has been out on a track yet?
    They must have had it out on the track in testing the design.

My Cars
    M42
    Quote Originally Posted by dhabes View Post
    Can we move this thread back to the Professional Motorsports forum since this is news about "Professional Motorsports". Maybe then we could avoid the rice comments...
    +3 to that. Please.

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel
    Has nothing to do with cooling the tires...the ducts are there to extract air out of the wheel wells in order to cut down on drag..
    Thus leading to a higher cooling rate
    BMW-PC F80 M3 HotLapFormula 1000 Video │ 3 Time NASA-SE GTS2 Champ │ TRM Stg.2, Coilovers & Tuning │ Racing Videos[/CENTER]

My Cars
    14 X1 x3.5i - 16 C300
    needs ltw's...
    Follow me on Instragram @bassrebel
    2003 2014 X1 X3.5i 2016 MB C300 4Matic

My Cars
    '88 M3, '03 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ's325ITS View Post
    Thus leading to a higher cooling rate
    What Brian is saying is that cooling the tires is not the primary function. Aerodynamics is the key function and cooling the tires is an added benefit.
    David
    1988 Zinnoberot E30 M3

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97

Talking roaring V8 BIMMERS

The crappy part is that it wont be until 09.... =(
    '08 season will go by fast - as always. Then you'll wake up and it will be 2009 with roaring V8 BIMMERS mopping up GT2 in ALMS- just like the old days!!
    rahal.jpg
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    Cmod/GTS4 M3,E92 M3
    [quote=dhabes;12046217]Can we move this thread back to the Professional Motorsports forum since this is news about "Professional Motorsports".

+4 to this as well... .

I love yacking on and on about this kind of stuff... Good thread....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456