Thread: full coverage or liability?

My Cars
    none

full coverage or liability?

i know its not just one or the other but lets say im spending about 10+ on a used car (bmw). what type of insurance would you suggest? my quote for liability was around 2gs/yr.

My Cars
    '87 325is, '94 325i
    If you're paying cash and can afford to pay out of pocket to fix your car if/when you get into an accident, then just get liability.

If you have a loan you have to have full coverage.

I would personally carry at least comp/collision with a $1000 deductable if nothing else.

My Cars
    323i
    always full coverage

My Cars
    96' 328i

My Cars
    a white one
    Ive got full coverage, and it has paid off- the first time you get a window broken or parts stolen, it will pay for itself.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    just get liability and put money away in case something happens. insurance is a rip off.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    328is, E90, E70 :(, E46T
    uninsured & underinsured motorist protection, & personal liability insurance absolutely.

comp & collision on a $10k car? depends on the price. more than $300 a year then no.

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    2k for liability on a 10k used car?

Ouch.

-Charlie

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    '87 325is, '94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    2k for liability on a 10k used car?

Ouch.

-Charlie
    Liability has absolutely nothing to do with the value of the car.

My Cars
    325Ci
    Charlie - you need to learn a little bit about insurance if you think liability is in any way related to the value of the car!

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Jesus Christ you kids are dense.

I know it has nothing to do with the cost of the car. I'm just wondering how awful this guy's record must be if it costs him 2k for f'n liability.

-Charlie

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    damn i have a friend that lives in Long Island and Insurance is crazy for him. liability only for me on a e36 is only 846 a yr and im 20 but i also live in Wisconsin
    Last edited by tsweers89; 02-06-2008 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    e46

I know it has nothing to do with the cost of the car. I'm just wondering how awful this guy's record must be if it costs him 2k for f'n liability.

-Charlie
    Yeah, I was surprised two people in a row didn't understand what you were saying. And 2k a year is insane! I wouldn't be driving if I was paying that much in insurance.

My Cars
    750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    just get liability and put money away in case something happens. insurance is a rip off.
    Glad to see I'm not the only person who found that Rachel Bilson pic in GQ super hot.

My Cars
    none

-Charlie
    oh yeah i should have mentioned im in brooklyn, which has one of, if not the highest insurance rates. thats part of the equation

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    Comprehensive is usually a ripoff. You pay through the nose and then, in the event that you actually use it, you pay the deductible and then they raise your rates again anyway......just to recoup the money the just paid out. Insurance is the biggest ripoff ever. Just get the cheapest you can get and keep a little socked away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    Charlie the value does not correlate to liability insurance.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    Charlie the value does not correlate to liability insurance.
    He was saying that if he had bought something that cost 2k, like an e30, his insurance would be a lot less than if he bought a car that cost 10k, like an e46.

My Cars
    '87 325is, '94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezard View Post
    He was saying that if he had bought something that cost 2k, like an e30, his insurance would be a lot less than if he bought a car that cost 10k, like an e46.
    No, it wouldn't. Liability insurance is based on the individual risk of the driver and the vehicle (not the value). The higher the risk that any certain vehicle will cause an accident and the damage caused; the higher the insurance.

Therefore it would be cheaper to get liability on an e30 compared to an e36 m3, but this has nothing to do with the fact that the m3 is more expensive. The same is true if you compare an e30 to a v8 full sized truck.

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by sjames View Post
    No, it wouldn't. Liability insurance is based on the individual risk of the driver and the vehicle (not the value). The higher the risk that any certain vehicle will cause an accident and the damage caused; the higher the insurance.

Therefore it would be cheaper to get liability on an e30 compared to an e36 m3, but this has nothing to do with the fact that the m3 is more expensive. The same is true if you compare an e30 to a v8 full sized truck.
    Waaa, the revelation of the year so far for me. I never knew that.

My Cars
    2008 M3 AW on Fox
    I always do the bare minimum liability. Comp and Collision are expensive because built into those costs are people (although good people) that sit in an office behind a computer trying to pay for all the kids they have. I bank all the cash and can now replace 10 of my cars. $35/month means I can pay for all kinds of repairs, if it happens. I call it, "self-insuring myslef". No one can take care of me like me. Not even State Farm.
    08 Alpine on Fox Red - Bot 1.19.23 in Spearfish
    97 Byzanz on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.14.21 to Behzad of Newark

97 Byzanz on Magma M3/4/A - Sold 7.7.17Jerad in CO

98 TiSilver on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
    96 Boston on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold - 4.2.13 - Ron driving it
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 8.6.12 Thy driving it
    99 Estoril on Sand M3/2/5 - Sold 7.31.12 Eric driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
    96 Techno on Black M3/2/5-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

My Cars
    01 740iL,97 740i RIP
    Go with comp, but keep the deductible high. Basically, you want engine blowing up / car totaling protection.
    "You know you're not the first..."

My Cars
    2012 E92 M3 (On Order)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrooklynzoo View Post
    oh yeah i should have mentioned im in brooklyn, which has one of, if not the highest insurance rates. thats part of the equation
    While liability is disconnected from the price of the car, I would never pay $2k/year in insurance to drive around in a $10k car. That's insane.

I'd rather take the bus/train/subway... which, fortunately for you, is a real option where you live.

I had liability-only insurance when I was a kid, because the plan was that I'd declare bankruptcy if something bad happenned.

As an adult, I'm not driving with anything less than full coverage.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
    While liability is disconnected from the price of the car, I would never pay $2k/year in insurance to drive around in a $10k car. That's insane.

I'd rather take the bus/train/subway... which, fortunately for you, is a real option where you live.

I had liability-only insurance when I was a kid, because the plan was that I'd declare bankruptcy if something bad happenned.

As an adult, I'm not driving with anything less than full coverage.
    2k is simply for liability. how much are you paying for full coverage? honestly i rid ethe MTA and im tired of it, i need a car of my own. im going to buy a car regardless and liability will run me around 2k.

My Cars
    2012 E92 M3 (On Order)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrooklynzoo View Post
    2k is simply for liability. how much are you paying for full coverage? honestly i rid ethe MTA and im tired of it, i need a car of my own. im going to buy a car regardless and liability will run me around 2k.
    It's hard to say exactly, because my insurance bill is for both my car and my condo and they're not listed seperately as line items.

My insurance comes out to about $1200 / year with full covereage on a new 08 E93 and my condo. Deductible for the car is $500.