Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solid BMW for teenager

My Cars
    3er

Solid BMW for teenager

It's that time again. You know, when you stick your teenage child behind the wheel of a car and live off of macaroni and cheese three days a week just to pay the insurance bill.

I have a responsible 17 year old son. He's in his junior year in high school and studies hard in school (down to the "good student" discount ). He recently acquired his license but still has no car. So it's time to get something for him.

He is also a car enthusiast. Not much of a DIY-er (neither am I), but he's taken a couple of auto classes at school. He'd like something "ballin' and fresh". Enter: an excuse to get a BMW for him (my wife isn't exactly pleased about this).

My spending limit is about $3000, and he can cover about $1500. Our combined total is $4500. We would like something solid and reliable. He'll be driving the car for at least two years, and I've narrowed it down to the E34 5 Series and the E36 3 Series. Questions: Are these good choices for my son? Or are there better ones? Will I be able to find good bargain on these vehicles? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    For that budget I would get an E34 525. Safe, reliable, and big/slow enough to have stop him from getting into some trouble. You can for sure get a car for that price. I would also invest in a defensive driving course for him, even responsible kids need more than the pathetic excuse for education the DMV dishes out.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    what about a e30? for your price range you could get a very nice e30 with maintenance records to match. As far as a e34/e36 you could but it wont be in great condtion and will prob need some attention to

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    e30 is outdated to be a baller in highschool...i mean in the early 90s it was the shiznit, i'd say get a e36 325is 5spd My 1st car was a e36 325is

My Cars
    e36
    I would say a e36 3 series. I'm close to your sons age and I love my 318. Its "sporty" enough to be fun, but not really that fast, so I can't get in trouble.

My Cars
    2014 Mazda 3
    Seems like he's more into looking good than going fast. An e34 can look pretty clean and has more of a VIP styling than a three series. +1 for e34 525

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    E34 525i or 535i. If you get the 525i, get a 91 or later for the twin cam motor and no timing belts. Good cars, robust, decent style, plenty of room and safe. I sell a lot of 525i's in particular (just sold a 92 a few days ago in fact). Just to spam a little, I can find one for you if you like. I am in Sonoma county.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    318Ti, Fiat 124 Spider, Saab 900 Turbo
    does it have to be a BMW? I know he may want one.. but almost all kids wreck or at least hurt their first car in some way. Either they miss a point of maintance, abuse the car, or actually hit something. I would not give (Or allow) a teenager I was caring for to own an expensive car. I would get him/ allow him to buy something more disposable. A honda, toyota, or something else that is well built and reliable.

I know that is not the answer people want to hear or give, but no matter how good a kid he is, how much he studies, or how well he did behind the wheel for his test, he is still inexperienced in driving.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    E34 is a good suggestion, 535i with the venerable M30 engine.

E36, too.

But, for a first car?

E30. There are so many around and they are cheap and easy to maintain. And your son could trick it out so that it's baller & fresh In the process, he'll learn a lot about mechanics, how much things are worth, how much work it takes to purchase those things, etc...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Quote Originally Posted by fullyflaredd View Post
    e36 3 series, keep searching, you'll eventually find a good one w/ all the maintenance records and it should need no attention. Be a little patient and something nice will eventually come around. Make sure its manual
    maybe something along the lines of a 318 for that price range

My Cars
    '22 X3
    You're a pretty cool Dad if you post on BFC!!

I agree on the E36 or E34...if he wants something "baller" or "fresh" an E30 isn't gonna suit his taste. Give him a few year and it will though!

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtf114 View Post
    I would say a e36 3 series. I'm close to your sons age and I love my 318. Its "sporty" enough to be fun, but not really that fast, so I can't get in trouble.
    oOoh, you should be able to find a E36 325 or 318 in that price rang. and he should be able to find enough after market parts to sport it up.

My Cars
    '97 Cosmos schwartz
    why not get a clean Integra instead, some nice rims and a drop and the car will look fresh and also more reliable than anything from BMW

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machine View Post
    does it have to be a BMW? I know he may want one.. but almost all kids wreck or at least hurt their first car in some way. Either they miss a point of maintance, abuse the car, or actually hit something. I would not give (Or allow) a teenager I was caring for to own an expensive car. I would get him/ allow him to buy something more disposable. A honda, toyota, or something else that is well built and reliable.

I know that is not the answer people want to hear or give, but no matter how good a kid he is, how much he studies, or how well he did behind the wheel for his test, he is still inexperienced in driving.
    Which is why I'd rather have more safety around them then your tpical civic or corolla.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    The thing is, you cant really get a decent honda or toyota for much less than a good old five or three series Bimmer. $4k or $5k is kind of what it takes to get a decent car of any make, unless you dont mind funky.
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    E36 328is 5 speed.
    the best.

/// 4Door Mafia #96 328Mafia #17

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec328 View Post
    E36 328is 5 speed.
    the best.
    yea that would be but not for his price range, it be a poor example if he found one and with a lot of miles

My Cars
    2000 S2000, 2017 Q7
    Don't get an E36. For 4.5K you're going to get an old 4 banger that won't be ballin or fresh.

Get a badass E30. Reliable to the point of beater worthy.

My Cars
    1989 325is
    e30 all the way. I just bought mine and I think its ballin' as anything on the road...put a nice spring/shock setup on it to take off the "lift kit" and it will look amazing.
    1987 535is - SOLD
    1991 318is - SOLD
    1996 328is - SOLD
    1989 325is - autoX/daily
    1998 M3 - SOLD

My Cars
    1995 AlpineWeiß 525i
    I'm 17 and am currently driving an e34 525i. Definitely a solid car that can respond quickly in an emergency situation and not fast enough to be too much of an idiot. Mine has 150K and is super reliable once the cooling system had been dealt with. Go for a 95 though. A lot of nice touch ups added in 95 like the wide grill and steering wheel. Should be in your price range.

My Cars
    135i
    I would recommend an E39 M5. Very big, so if he gets into an "accident"--as he inevitably will--he won't die or get near-fatally injured; quiet, so he can listen to Burmese language tapes as he pursues education and subsequent enlightenment in his spare time; safe, see first point; and ballin', which is self-explanatory.

And best of all, the car is slow compared to many vehicles on the road, like Z06s, new M5s, and Hayabusas.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    Xterra
    if you look hard enough you could find a clean e36 for that price... they're still pretty " ballin' "

My Cars
    '91 318is, '98 318i
    I would recommend an E39 M5. Very big, so if he gets into an "accident"--as he inevitably will--he won't die or get near-fatally injured; quiet, so he can listen to Burmese language tapes as he pursues education and subsequent enlightenment in his spare time; safe, see first point; and ballin', which is self-explanatory.

And best of all, the car is slow compared to many vehicles on the road, like Z06s, new M5s, and Hayabusas.
    Instagram: @stephenvillagrasa Check out my e36 project there at #750dollare36
    Youtube: Stephen's Euro Garage general BMW garage stuff

My Cars
    07 Civic Si, 87 325E
    e30 FTMFW!

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen V View Post
    My post was entirely genuine and was not conveyed with the smallest, unfairly small sliver of jest. Please direct your shiftys elsewhere.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast