Thread: Loose steering, Control Arms and Bushings?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci

Loose steering, Control Arms and Bushings?

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of research on this loose feeling I get while driving on the Interstate or at Highway speeds. I'm just not quite sure if the feeling I'm having is the same as what everyone else has experienced when the Control Arms are going bad.

What happens is while I'm driving down the Interstate I have this constant feeling like I'm driving next to a semi truck and the air off it is pulling me everywhere. The car just wants to dart to one side or the other. The weird thing is it's only at highway speeds (65-75mph) that I notice this problem. I had new struts and a alignment done about a month ago and I knew I should have had the control arms done at the same time but I didn't. Do I need to look into getting some Control Arms or is something else going on?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    First thing I'd check is tire pressure since it's free and easy. Go by the sticker on the driver's door jamb, ignore what's on the sidewall of the tires. Mine requires about 35 front, 40 rear. You're going to use the lowest listed pressure for your tire size, unless you're heavily loading the car with 4 fat guys and their luggage.

To check control arm bushings:
    1: View the car from the side as it [firmly] stops. If the wheel/tire appear to move backwards in the wheel well, then bushings are likely shot.
    2: With the front end raised, grasp the tire at 3:00 and 9:00 positions and try to turn it in and out. If you feel significant play (more than steering play) then control arm bushings are likely shot. Similarly, test for loose ball joints by grasping at 12:00 and 6:00 positions and wiggling.
    3: With the front end safely raised, visually inspect the rubber bushings. They should look clean and dry and show no signs of cracking, tearing, ripping, crumbling, aging.

My Cars
    07 328xi / Trek 2.3
    If it is 2001, it might be the boosted steering, I have the same feeling and I have just changed the control arms and bushings.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    323Ci would be 1999 or 2000; in 2001 it was changed to 325.
    Also, my 2001 325i (sold) always felt very solid at highway speeds, but the steering was definitely different and lighter than my 2002 330i.

My Cars
    07 328xi / Trek 2.3
    touche

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Tramlining? Tires?
    Does it only happen on specific roads?
    1999 328i 5spd Stock
    220K!

My Cars
    2001 330i Titanium Silver
    I get a clunking noise in the front end only when I have the car in reverse. Thoughts?

The CABs were replaced 30k ago and the control arms are the originals as far as I know.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    First thing I'd check is tire pressure since it's free and easy. Go by the sticker on the driver's door jamb, ignore what's on the sidewall of the tires. Mine requires about 35 front, 40 rear. You're going to use the lowest listed pressure for your tire size, unless you're heavily loading the car with 4 fat guys and their luggage.

To check control arm bushings:
    1: View the car from the side as it [firmly] stops. If the wheel/tire appear to move backwards in the wheel well, then bushings are likely shot.
    2: With the front end raised, grasp the tire at 3:00 and 9:00 positions and try to turn it in and out. If you feel significant play (more than steering play) then control arm bushings are likely shot. Similarly, test for loose ball joints by grasping at 12:00 and 6:00 positions and wiggling.
    3: With the front end safely raised, visually inspect the rubber bushings. They should look clean and dry and show no signs of cracking, tearing, ripping, crumbling, aging.
    I've checked the tire pressures before, I wish it was something that simple. When I get a chance I'll use your steps to check the control arms bushings.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by havnfun328 View Post
    Tramlining? Tires?
    Does it only happen on specific roads?
    I've had the tires rotated, balanced, and a alignment done a few weeks back. It doesn't happen on specific roads, just as long as its highway or interstate speeds.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    While you're at it, be sure and check the tie rods and sway bar links too. Grab the tie rod end in your hand and if you can twist the tie rod back and forth very easily, they may need replacing. Then bang upward on the bottom of the sway bar link with the palm of your hand and see (well, feel, and maybe hear) if there's any play.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.