Thread: Wiper blade replacements

My Cars
    Z4

Wiper blade replacements

I went to the dealer and got the inserts for my 03 Z4. After I got home, I found out that the inserts were too long. Did I buy the wrong inserts?
    On a related topic, does anyone know how to change the wiper inserts? I see a pin that holds the rubber, I don't see how I can remove it without ripping the rubber.

TIA.

My Cars
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

Thumbs up Bosch Icon

Left side should be 21 inches and right side is 20 inches.
    Take the inserts back for a refund and get yourself some Bosch Icon wiper blades. You'll need a 421A ($16.69) for driver side and 420B ($14.40) for the passenger side.
    I ordered mine from Autohaus Arizona http://www.autohausaz.com/ . Plug in the Bosch part number (421A and 420B) and you'll get the correct Icon wiper blade.
    Jim Millet
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe, 2005 X3
    Actually the replacement inserts are generic for BMW and you simply lop them off to the proper length. They work great and are actually cheaper than almost any aftermarket blade replacements at $6.00 a set.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray
    2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue, 6sp manual

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si, 2005 Infiniti G35X
    I also use the Bosch ICONs. They are awesome. No noise, lifting, chattering. Just a clean wipe every time. And NO, I don't work for Bosch! I'm just a wiper fanatic.
    2007 Z4 3.0Si convertible, dark green with saddle extended leather interior, beige roof, stock suspension, 17" wheels/tires

My Cars
    2002 M5
    I ordered some Valeo Ultimates, which were formerly my favorite wiper, but the drastic curve of our windshield means the ends of the passenger side wiper do not even contact the glass! Useless!

Do the Icons not suffer from this same dilemma? If so, I will be ordering a set.

My Cars
    Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
    Actually the replacement inserts are generic for BMW and you simply lop them off to the proper length. They work great and are actually cheaper than almost any aftermarket blade replacements at $6.00 a set.
    How do I take out the old insert?

My Cars
    umm, you pull them out.

if you can't get them to come out, grab the rubber part, and pull it out. then the metal pieces will just fall out.

no you didn't get the wrong ones. they are cut to length. And don't waste your time with aftermarket wiper blades. stick with the factory ones.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

Thumbs up Factory = one piece flexible

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    SNIP
    And don't waste your time with aftermarket wiper blades. stick with the factory ones.
    It's no small coincidence that most of the new Bimmers come from the factory outfitted with the one piece flexible wiper blade that looks strangely exactly like the Bosch Icon.
    Jim Millet
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

My Cars
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

Thumbs up Full contact

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I ordered some Valeo Ultimates, which were formerly my favorite wiper, but the drastic curve of our windshield means the ends of the passenger side wiper do not even contact the glass! Useless!
    Do the Icons not suffer from this same dilemma? If so, I will be ordering a set.
    When I first installed the Icons the passenger side did not make full contact on the outside but after a couple of days the blade took a set and made full contact along the entire length.
    Usual disclaimers apply. Your mileage may vary
    Jim Millet
    2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe, 2005 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    umm, you pull them out.

if you can't get them to come out, grab the rubber part, and pull it out. then the metal pieces will just fall out.

no you didn't get the wrong ones. they are cut to length. And don't waste your time with aftermarket wiper blades. stick with the factory ones.
    Yup - grab a set of needle nose pliers and gently squeeze on the protruding metal tab down at the bottom of the wiper blade on the last clasp of the wiper blade arm. This is the end that is closest to the wiper arm motor. Then just pull on the blade insert and it will slide out.

The whole task is a little easier if you remove the blade holder from the wiper arm first.

To trip the length just lay the new blade out next to the old one and cut the rubber part with a knife or razor blade. The metal pieces have grooves that facilitate various lengths of BMWs blades - just pick out the groove that matches your target length and bend the metal trim back and forth a couple of times. The trim piece will snap right off.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray
    2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue, 6sp manual

My Cars
    Z4
    The replacement inserts don't have a hole like the OEM ones, but they seemed to be strong enough to not slide around. Thanks everyone for the help.